Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD Storage, where to store them

Burn baby burn!

CD Storage, where to store them

Postby Hibiki04 on Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:43 am

I'm getting to the point where I have soo many cds that its getting costly in buying jewel cases and portable cd cases to store them. Got any ideas on other methods in storing all your burnt cds?

Also, has anyone stored their burnt cds in the spindle? If so, does the ink on the label (the stuff that you write on the label part of the cd) stick onto the other cds (on the writing surface of the cd when stacked upon one another) if you haven't touched them for a while?

Thanks for your input guys
Hibiki04
Buffer Underrun

Re: CD Storage, where to store them

Postby cfitz on Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:50 am

Hibiki04 wrote:Also, has anyone stored their burnt cds in the spindle? If so, does the ink on the label (the stuff that you write on the label part of the cd) stick onto the other cds (on the writing surface of the cd when stacked upon one another) if you haven't touched them for a while?

It won't stick if your label consists solely of hand-written text using one of the CD marking pens, because the tops and bottoms of the CDs don't actually touch when stacked and the ink left by the pen is too thin to bridge the gap. Only the hub area touches on stacked CDs. It's part of the physical CD standard, I believe.

On the other hand, if you are using stick-on paper/plastic labels, then the top and bottom surfaces may touch and you might have to worry about ink transfer or sticking. Yet another reason not to use stick-on labels, which I do not recommend under any circumstances.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:02 pm

I keep the stuff I use most in a 75-cd wallet, the rest of 'em on a bunch of 50-cd spindles.
I don't bother with jewel cases for computer CD's anymore, in part because of the whole high-speed CD-reader thing. Besides, cases are a pain in the, umm, well...you know.
glock20rocks

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:00 pm

CD wallets are one of the most cost-effective storage solutions. Look at this thread for some good deals on CD wallets.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... Awallet%2A
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:02 pm

TheWizard wrote:CD wallets are one of the most cost-effective storage solutions.
2Awallet%2A

Actually Spindels are the cheapest...free with each CD-R purchase! :)
glock20rocks

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:07 am

This is true, although they are tough to organize. If you want a CD in the middle of a spindle you have to lift up all the CD's on top of it just to get to it. Spindles certainly are easily portable though.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives