Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Universal BUSlink 40x12x48 Questions

Burn baby burn!

Universal BUSlink 40x12x48 Questions

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:19 pm

After seeing the "Hot Deal" that BuddhaTB (hey dude! thanks for the posting!) posted, I went out and bought a few of the BUSlink drives as gifts. Since it wasn't for me, I wasn't too concerned about which drive was in the box (AOpen). They are all installed and all work fine after several test burns on each.

I tried to contact BUSlink as to how I would go about having these drives "registered". Of course, I've gotten jack for a response to date. Can these repackaged AOpen drives be regged AT AOpen? There's no info about registration nor the guidelines or time constraints in the sorry excuse for a manual.

Second question. The drives came with OEM copies of Nero 5.5.8.1. Is this considered "regged" copies? Any expirations or anything of the sort? Can the copies be updated with the new 5.5.10.7 version without cost or problems of expiry?

Anyone had a BUSlink labeled drive ass out on them? Any experiences with repair or replacement?

Thanks for all that post 411! 8)
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Re: Universal BUSlink 40x12x48 Questions

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:04 pm

F1Pilot wrote:After seeing the "Hot Deal" that BuddhaTB (hey dude! thanks for the posting!) posted, I went out and bought a few of the BUSlink drives as gifts.

Your Welcome. :D

F1Pilot wrote:Second question. The drives came with OEM copies of Nero 5.5.8.1. Is this considered "regged" copies? Any expirations or anything of the sort? Can the copies be updated with the new 5.5.10.7 version without cost or problems of expiry?

Anyone had a BUSlink labeled drive ass out on them? Any experiences with repair or replacement?

The first question, I'm not sure about the registering process, so I'll let someone who knows more about it respond to that.
As for your Nero, yes it can be upgraded to the newest version of 5.5.10.7. There should be no problems upgrading. As for what version you of Nero you own, I think what you have is an OEM version that probably never expires and has the serial # already patched into the software. So you should be fine with using the Nero for as long as you like.
Aopen drives are pretty good and should last you awhile unlike some lower quality drives from Benq and etc. You bought your drive for a cheap price, so even if it breaks down after a year, you can just go out and buy a new one. It's not worth fixing when drives are going down in price on a weekly basis.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:23 pm

Heya BuddhaTB!

Thanks again for the info. I'll make sure the new owners of the drives update their software! I just didn't want them to be surprised if it expired on them, or a wrong upgrade went bad.

I can't believe how cheap burners are nowadays. I remember paying several hundred on an HP 8100 series. Ah well...had to have it! :roll:
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:26 pm

My first Burner was a 4 x Yamaha 4260 back in early 98, $450 online, second was a Sanyo CRD rw2 12x $350 at Frys, third was a Plex 12x to replace the Sanyo when I broke it doing stupid stuff :( also 350. Then the prices dropped and the speed went up.
I had a hard time with the Reg of my latest Buslinks too, I think I just reged it as whatever, or maybe i finally gave up too, it's not setup well with no options for newer drives unless they changed it.
I don't even bother anymore with them being so cheap.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:35 pm

Heya BuddhaTB!

Thanks again for the Nero tip. Upgrades went well...everything burns fine! :P

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:39 pm

Hi Dartman...

I don't remember exactly how much my 8100i had cost at the time. I'd like to say somewhere in the 500 range. You sound like me...got in early on the CD burning game. I've gone through a bunch, and am pleased to see them get cheaper and cheaper.

I'm not sure how it is now, but tech service was awesome back then. Although it was a pain in the ass to send stuff back for replacement/repair, they used to do some awesome stuff like send me a comp pack of 10 blanks. Nowadays, often feel like I get flipped the bird. :-? DOH!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:18 pm

My frind bought a Ricoh 1420 back about 95 I think, blazing double speed burner. I'm pretty sure he paid somewhere around 600 or so and the media was 10 bucks a pop, he wasted 3 right of the bat trying to figure things out :) That burner lasted him till about 99 when it wouldn't read or burn anymore. I took it apart and the laser was cloudy looking, gently cleaned it and it worked like new again. He sold it for 100 becuase he'd all ready replaced it with a Plex 8/20. So I feel like I got in late but I wasn't in the mood to spend up to 700 and buy that spendy nedia too ;)
I had to send in my 4260, took em a couple of weeks and I found out it was a driver conflict once I got it back, DOOHHH!!
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:41 pm

Now ya see everyone? Burners at $300 and up? Man...the things ya do for love, I tell ya! Heh! :P

At the same time, those outrageous prices weren't exactly from just yesterday. We've been in the game for awhile. I mean, what companies were the first ones putting out the first wave of blazing (1x) burners, anyways? Hmmmmm.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives