Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD-RW / Changing Burn Speed?

Burn baby burn!

CD-RW / Changing Burn Speed?

Postby mark4man on Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:34 pm

I am planning to release a music CD this summer; & I'm told by the replication house that for pre-mastering, a 2X burn is ideal. Right now, I have a TDK velocd, which more than likely I'll have to use to burn the pre-master. It's lowest selectable speed is 4X. can that be changed to 2x; & if so, how?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man
mark4man
Buffer Underrun

Postby jase on Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:43 pm

They're saying that to cover their own hides incase their systems can't read the discs produced at 4 or 8 speed on lower-quality, older writers. As long as you burn a high quality disc on a high quality writer you'll be fine at 4x. The TDK should be OK -- is it an older Plex or a LiteOn? (what speed is it?)

More important is that you make absolutely certain that the disc is burned in DAO mode (Disc At Once) if at all possible. Not SAO or TAO. The reason being that manufactured CDs are always in this form. Also try if you can to make a disc that has not been subject to a buffer-underrun (and subsequent BURN-Proof or similar kicking in). The replication house will need a disc where the laser has not stopped from the time the burn starts to the time it stops.

Your writer will not slow down to 2x.
jase
CD-RW Player

jase,

Postby mark4man on Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:24 pm

Thanks.

The TDK is a velocd. The USB 1.1 specs are: 4x Write, 4x Rewrite & 6x Dataread. USB 2.0 specs are: 40x Write, 12x Rewrite, 48x Dataread & 48x Audio CD Rip. I was really hoping to set it to 2x. A lot of the mastering engineers I read also suggest that's "the" optimum speed.

While we're on the subject, check out this link for the Yamaha CRW-F1:

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/pro ... /crwf1.asp

Once there, select the "Advanced Audio Master" icon; & check out the technology demonstration. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

mark4man
mark4man
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives