Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CompUSA Deal of the Day - Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM HDD for $200!

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

CompUSA Deal of the Day - Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM HDD for $200!

Postby TheWizard on Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:50 am

Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive for $200 after instant savings and mail-in rebate! Offer expires 2/8/03 so hurry up!

$349.99 - $50 instant savings - $100 mail-in rebate = $199.99

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... e#moreinfo
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:47 pm

Is this the standard 2MB buffer one or the one with 8MB buffer?
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:33 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:Is this the standard 2MB buffer one or the one with 8MB buffer?

BuddhaTB, according to the website, it's got an 8MB cache.

That is a great deal. Unfortunately for me, I'm loathe to send in a $100 MIR. i've got almost $300 in outstanding MIR's right now :oops:

Also I've read somewhere that my older hardware & OS (2 year old PC / Win ME) can't support 200 GB w/out an Ultra-ATA card and bios update. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm sort of lazy right now to do more work on it.

The Compaq I upgraded has only a 154 Watt PSU! Do you think that is a bit weak for what I've got?

Celeron 700 MHz CPU
256MB SDRAM
60GB 2MB Cache HD
80GB 8MB Cache HD
16X DVD
48x12x48x CDRW
100MB ethernet card
4 USB 1.1 ports

I can't believe Compaq put in such a low power PSU :cry:

BTW thanks Wizard for sharing such a great deal! :D
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:01 pm

If it works, it works. But I wouldn't build one like that today with anything less than 300w.

My son bought a reconditioned Compaq Presario 4660 through UBID several years ago. My jaw hit the desk when we took it apart to install a CD-RW drive and I noticed that the PSU was rated like 125w, or about that. I resolved never to deal with branded boxes again and would build my own. Another possible problem with those Compaqs is that if the non-generic PSU goes down, you have to get a replacement from the Compaq parts counter at several hundred dollars per. That $50 standard, generic PSU at CompUSA won't go in their case.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:15 pm

Thanks CowboySlim.

I'm not going to mess with the Compaq anymore, as you and BuddhaTB have stated how difficult and expensive it can be to upgrade such a beast.

Looks like it's going to be Dell or a self-built PC for me in a few months! I'm really intrigued by the "neon" lighted window cases they've got these days. There's some really cool stuff out there.
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:43 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:BTW thanks Wizard for sharing such a great deal! :D

You're welcome. :)

And get a beefier power supply pronto! ~150W for a computer with those specs won't last long at all!
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:50 am

Can't you upgrade the PSU? Just wondering. I'm getting an old Compaq in a few weeks. I want to do some upgrades on it, and use it as my burning machine. I wanted to up the power. Anyone here know?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:13 am

Sure you can upgrade the PSU, just buy the right kind, either AT or ATX form factor.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:14 am

F1Pilot wrote:Can't you upgrade the PSU? Just wondering. I'm getting an old Compaq in a few weeks. I want to do some upgrades on it, and use it as my burning machine. I wanted to up the power. Anyone here know?

Compaq PSU's can't be upgraded unless you completely change your case. Their PSU's are specially made to fit Compaq cases only, so you'll have a ever hard time trying to put in another PSU into your Compaq case. I've looked into the possibility of upgrading my old Compaq's PSU, but read many articles that say its impossible to upgrade unless you order a replacement part from Compaq. Don't try to upgrade the compaq as its not worth your time or money. Just save up for a new system.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:16 am

I retract my comment then. :) Although check the case, maybe it is a standard AT or ATX.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:21 am

Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah. I was kinda wondering about the power supply since it looks kinda small compared to my other machine...which is pretty damn weak compared to everyone elses toys. I mean, DAMN...pretty much all of you make me jealous! :-? Sucks ta be me, I guess. Heh!

[/b]
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:32 am

I feel your pain F1Pilot.
I was using a Compaq (450Mhz AMD K6-2) before I built my own system this past summer. Compaq's are a pain in the butt to upgrade and that's why I tell everyone not to buy a Compaq. They are way too hardware picky and don't even use standard hardware like AT or ATX PSU's.
Last edited by BuddhaTB on Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:47 am

Damn, BuddhaTB...you dissin' my machine? Heh! :P (Currently dual XEON 450)

The Compaq I'm getting has a 633 Celeron. Apparently, a PIII 1.13 (something like that :-? ) can be dropped in it. I personally like Frankensteins over pre-builts, but hey...it's free, and it runs clean.

need...a...real...computer...
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:58 pm

F1Pilot wrote:The Compaq I'm getting has a 633 Celeron. Apparently, a PIII 1.13 (something like that :-? ) can be dropped in it.

i would check that out.
i don't think you can.
if i'm not mistaken, the Pentium III above 1 GHz are Tualatin core whereas up to 1GHz are Coppermine core.
they are not interchangeable, require different chipset and different motherboards...something to do with Tualatins running on a lower voltage.

some motherboards are compatible with both Tualatin and Coppermine (they're called Socket 370 Universal boards) but older ones are not.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:59 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
F1Pilot wrote:The Compaq I'm getting has a 633 Celeron. Apparently, a PIII 1.13 (something like that :-? ) can be dropped in it.

i would check that out.
i don't think you can.
if i'm not mistaken, the Pentium III above 1 GHz are Tualatin core whereas up to 1GHz are Coppermine core.
they are not interchangeable, require different chipset and different motherboards...something to do with Tualatins running on a lower voltage.

some motherboards are compatible with both Tualatin and Coppermine (they're called Socket 370 Universal boards) but older ones are not.

Just read an article in the groups...supposedly a max of either a Celeron OR PIII can be used. *shrug* dunno. I'm stumped. :-?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:09 am

F1Pilot wrote:Just read an article in the groups...supposedly a max of either a Celeron OR PIII can be used. *shrug* dunno. I'm stumped. :-?

yeah, but the question is a Celeron or Pentium with a Tualatin core too, or just a Coppermine core...that's what you've got to check.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:17 pm

since the computer your'e talking about originally had a 633 Celeron, i'm betting the motherboard is old enough that it does not support the Tualatin core, that means the faster Pentium IIIs and Celerons. make sure before you buy!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:31 pm

dodecahedron wrote:since the computer your'e talking about originally had a 633 Celeron, i'm betting the motherboard is old enough that it does not support the Tualatin core, that means the faster Pentium IIIs and Celerons. make sure before you buy!

Heya dodecahedron...

I just read a post about someone successfully plugging the Celeron version of the gig chip. With that said, what do you think the odds are that a PIII version would work?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:34 pm

like i said i'm not absolutely sure, you'll have to check in some hardware site.
if i'm not mistaken, the PentiumIII (and possibly Celeron too) up to and including 1GHz are Coppermine core, so they would fit your mobo.
above 1GHz it's Tualatin core, needs a different chipset hence a different mobo.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:22 pm

Thanks for the input, dodecahedron! :D
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player