Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Purchasing audio CD's

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Purchasing audio CD's

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:07 pm

Kazaa, Napster, WinMX, Limewire, Audiogalaxy are cool since you can download full lengths of songs to really check out the CD. What sucks is that sometimes, you have to shell out some good cash for what...2 good songs? Can you remember the last 5 CD's that you've purchased?

(Not in order)
1 - Disturbed - Believe
2 - Keiko Matsui - Keiko Matsui Live
3 - Eminem - The Eminem Show
4 - Dream Theater - Images & Words (Replacement)
5 - Dixie Chicks - Fly (Replacement)
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Re: Purchasing audio CD's

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:14 am

F1Pilot wrote:2 - Keiko Matsui - Keiko Matsui Live
3 - Eminem - The Eminem Show[/color]

Keiko Matsui and Eminem? :o Both for you? Very eclectic taste - nice! :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: Purchasing audio CD's

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:37 am

cfitz wrote:
F1Pilot wrote:2 - Keiko Matsui - Keiko Matsui Live
3 - Eminem - The Eminem Show[/color]

Keiko Matsui and Eminem? :o Both for you? Very eclectic taste - nice! :D

cfitz

LOL! Yeah...I know. Odd. I know it. My wife gets a migraine when hitting shuffle on the player results in OTEP...DIANA KRALL...MONTGOMERY GENTRY...SKID ROW...KORN

:o *shrug* :o
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:40 am

Here are my 5 from Newest To Oldest.
1. Linkin Park - Reanimation
2. TRUSTcompany - The Lonely Position of Neutral
3. Eminem - The Eminem Show
4. Box Car Racer - Box Car Racer
5. Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

That's 5 CD's in the last 1.5 years. I only buy CD's that can be listened from top to bottom or I support the bands/artist and will buy the CD regardless of the content. No way am I paying $15 for a CD that contains at most 3 good songs and the rest filler. Kazaa is a good place to fill up the rest of my collection :wink:

The Next 3 CD's I'll Be Getting
Linkin Park - METEORA 3/25/03
Audioslave
Hoobastank
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:12 am

I hear ya, Buddha! The price of CD's are crazy! When I bought Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, I went in one place, then out in about a minute. Can you believe they wanted $19.00 for a CD?! What happened to the good ole' $12 or $13 dollar days, ya know? Call me a cheap ass, but $19.00 is a bit steep.

How is Kazaa and spyware? I use WinMX 'cause there's no spyware in it. I'm paranoid that way. Are there many 320k bitrates around on there?

Thumbs up on the Trust Company and Blink 182...good buys...my kinda music. Hoobastank rocks!

Linkin Park got an all new CD coming out? Hmmm...gonna have to dig around for a few tracks first. Any tracks leaked on the 'net yet? I'm not at all into remixes, so I was disappointed with Reanimation. Hybrid Theory...loved it to hell and back. 8)

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:31 pm

I have to agree with you F1 Pilot, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is one of the best CD's of all time! :D It's filled with nothing but awesome tracks. I got mines as a birthday gift, so I'm lucky I didn't have to purchase it.

The best place to buy music CD's is Best Buy, they always have stuff on sale especially new releases. Never buy CD's at Wharehouse music, Tower Records, and etc, because they always charge full price on their CD's. No way am I ever paying $20+ on a CD. This is the exact reason why people download music off the net. It costs $.10 to make a music CD, yet the record companies sell it to the consumer for such a steep price. Even if the price of every CD was $5, the record companies and artist would still be making big bucks, because more people would buy them.

F1Pilot wrote:Linkin Park got an all new CD coming out? Hmmm...gonna have to dig around for a few tracks first. Any tracks leaked on the 'net yet? I'm not at all into remixes, so I was disappointed with Reanimation. Hybrid Theory...loved it to hell and back.

Linkin Park is coming out with a new album on March 25, 2003. It's gonna be called METEORA. I think LP was going to release some of the tracks on their website before the release date, so people can check it out. I love anything that LP does. Personally, I thought the Reanimation album was awesome, but not as awesome as Hybrid Theory. Also, Blink 182 is working on their next album currently. I believe its going to be released sometime in Summer or Fall 2003. I haven't heard too much about it, but if I do, I'll let you know. Have you ever seen the Blink 182 music videos? They are damn funny. :lol: :lol: In addition to those bands already mentioned, I also do love Limp Bizkit and I think they too are working on a new album.

F1Pilot wrote:How is Kazaa and spyware? I use WinMX 'cause there's no spyware in it. I'm paranoid that way. Are there many 320k bitrates around on there?

Check this site out. No spywhere included in this version of Kazaa.
http://doa2.host.sk/
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Null on Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:42 pm

F1Pilot wrote:How is Kazaa and spyware? I use WinMX 'cause there's no spyware in it. I'm paranoid that way. Are there many 320k bitrates around on there?

The solution for spyware is Kazaa Lite http://www.k-lite.tk/ and it's faster than normal kazaa (at least i feel it that way)
The last 5 CDs i bought.... mmm
1. Gustavo Cerati - Siempre es Hoy (nov 2002)
2. Gustavo Cerati - 11 Episodios Sinfónicos (dec 2001)
3. * Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Suger Sex Magik
4. * Charly García - Unplugged
5. * The Best of Frank Sinatra

* means I dont remember the particular order, it's been more than 2 years probably.
Here the pices of CDs have raised, and are expensive, normal CDs cost ~$24 (argentinian pesos, which are $7.5 US dollars) those are Argentina prints... imports are about $25 US dollars. (which is A LOT at the moment)
Null
Buffer Underrun

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:04 pm

BuddhaTB, once again...thanks for the tip! I downloaded the Kazaa Lite...trying it out now. Looks awesome so far! :P

Blink vids are funny. I like it when you can tell that the group members are fun and are enjoying what they're doing. Kinda like with Korn...how they're always doing signings and try to give access to the fans. That's awesome!

Bizkit rocks too. Wes is a guitarist with a great perspective...sorta like with Fieldy and bass. They're not necessarily terrific players, so to speak, but they have a nice fresh perspective. Break Stuff!

I liked Hybrid because it was hard, and judging by my avatars and my CD selections, you can more or less tell I like edgy stuff. Hybrid had that edge. Reanim was cool...was good...just not my cup o' tea. If you hear about any samples of the new stuff on the LP site, couldja lemme know? Since BuddhaTB seems to be the first in the know with the Hot Deals and stuff, who better to ask, right guys? LOL! :D
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:07 pm

Heya Null...

Thanks for the tip with the Kazaa Lite as well! Seems like a cool program so far. Dunno what to make of it yet. I suppose I'm more used to WinMX.

Say, what kind of music is Gustavo Cerati?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:58 pm

F1Pilot wrote:Blink vids are funny. I like it when you can tell that the group members are fun and are enjoying what they're doing. Kinda like with Korn...how they're always doing signings and try to give access to the fans. That's awesome!

Bizkit rocks too. Wes is a guitarist with a great perspective...sorta like with Fieldy and bass. They're not necessarily terrific players, so to speak, but they have a nice fresh perspective. Break Stuff!
If you hear about any samples of the new stuff on the LP site, couldja lemme know? Since BuddhaTB seems to be the first in the know with the Hot Deals and stuff, who better to ask, right guys? LOL! :D

Sorry to tell you about some bad news. After Limp Bizkit's "Chocolate Starfish and Hot Dog Flavored Water" CD was released, Wes Borland left the band. That CD totally Rocked too! I heard rumors that Wes was starting his own project, but I'm not sure if that's the true reason why he left Limp Bizkit. Over the past year or so, Fred and the band began looking for a new bass player around the country. I think they finally found someone to replace Wes, because they're supposedly working on a new album. But No one will ever replace Wes' crazy ass outfits during the Videos and performances. Fred Durst and KoRn frontman Jonathan Davis are really tight, and I wish they would do more collaborations together. An entire new album of Limp Bizkit and KoRn blending their talents together would be sweet. By the way, Break Stuff's video is pretty cool. :wink:

I'll let you know about LP if they release anything new. LP will be doing two tours this summer. One of them being the PROJEKT REVOLUTION 2003 tour with Jurassic 5 and Mudvayne. After that tour is over, LP will be touring the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003 with Metallica, Limp Bizkit, and Deftones. The tour, which is slated to begin July 4th, will feature all three bands performing full headline-length sets. Most show dates will go on sale February 22nd - stay tuned to www.linkinpark.com for ticket information. Now that one, I'm gonna try getting tickets to, once they release the tour dates. Nothing beats LP and Limp Bizkit in the same show.

Your wlecome for everything F1Pilot. Thank you for starting this music thread though.

www.linkinpark.com
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Heya BuddhaTB!
I'm always glad to start "conversations" with people. When there's people that like the same stuff, it's not a necessity...it's a huge bonus, dontcha think? :D Especially funny when there's a huge "Parental Advisory" sticker on the front. Heh! *thumbs up*

Yeah...I heard about Wes leaving Bizkit. A patient of mine told me that Wes was supposed to hook up with Fred and the gang again, since his endeavour(s) wasn't all he thought it would be. Who knows? But yeah...Wes is an entity unto himself, isn't he? -=MONKEY BOY=-

I'm a Korn fanatic. Okay...so I don't like the last disc they put out. I still find some musical value in it, but I didn't bother buying it (nope...don't have MP3s of it either). Jon's music isn't screaming like a lot of critics say. They don't feel the real angst in his singing. I like the realness. Hell, I'm not into the whole vampire trip, but I bought the Queen of the Damned DVD because of his work on it. Rocks!

Ya know, BuddhaTB...if the opening riff on the LP site is any indication of what METEORA is to be, I am SO there. THAT'S the Linkin Park I have in mind. My wife got pissed 'cause I kept playing that intro. :P Talk about inspiration to start writing music again. Well, maybe not. I'll spare the world. :oops:

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:21 pm

It seems like many of the people who have posted here haven't bought many CDs lately. No doubt the RIAA would blame p-to-p file sharing for this state of affairs, but I would say more of it has to do with the opinions already expressed - CDs are way too expensive, and have too few good songs on them.

Personally, I haven't bought a CD for several years. However, that isn't because I have been downloading songs over the net, since I haven't downloaded any songs either. It is mostly because I can't find any good music worth buying. For a number of years now the music industry seems to have been stuck in a teenybopper rut, concentrating on mass marketing teen-pop treacle like Britney Spears and the various indistinguishable boy bands. There is nothing worthwhile to be found on commercial radio if you aren’t a 13-year old girl (or an inner-city ganstah wannabe), and I'm not about to spend $16, $17, $18+ dollars a pop to experiment on CDs. Perhaps if was downloading songs I might find some I like and actually make a purchase...

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:44 pm

I pretty much agree with you cfitz. I mean, take a Britney or Justin fan, for instance. Granted, I like a few songs from each performer, but chances are (I'd imagine), the biggest fan base would be within the realm of a much younger person...one that doesn't necessarily have a job. Not considering that the individual had a sizeable allowance, they'd have to save up for ONE disc. SAVE UP! I'm pretty certain that they would forego putting down the $15+ for the inserts of pictures and stuff, by downloading it for free. I think that if the prices weren't so out of hand, they wouldn't mind saving for a legit copy of it, ya know? It's no different with me. Granted, I'm all about supporting my faves, and consider it a good buy with say a Disturbed, Korn or Linkin Park CD.

On the other hand, I'm a cheap ass, and I buy my CD's from SecondSpin, which doesn't hurt much.

I've been guilty of writing of songs because of how the beginning sounds. That's what I did with Linkin Park (don't remember which song it was). At the urging of a friend, I downloaded the song to do a listen through, then changed my mind about them. I know it sounds strange, but if it weren't for that ability to listen to the full song, I wouldn't have gone out and bought the CD.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:46 pm

Everyone check this out.

Elvis: 30 #1 Hits
80mins
$16.99 @ Tower Records

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Rings DVD (2-Disc)
Disc 1 is 178mins
Disc 2 is full of special features
$19.99 @ Best Buy

Which one is the better value?

Obviously, the DVD is head and shoulders above the CD. With a DVD you get 10 times as much content for a few bucks more. Sometimes even the DVD's are cheaper than CD's when they're on sale. This is an outcry, how can CD's and DVD's cost within a few bucks of each other,when the DVD delivers so much more content. This is why DVD sales are increasing very fast, while CD sales are going down the drain. CD's are simply priced too high for the average consumer.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:47 pm

F1Pilot wrote:Ya know, BuddhaTB...if the opening riff on the LP site is any indication of what METEORA is to be, I am SO there. THAT'S the Linkin Park I have in mind. My wife got pissed 'cause I kept playing that intro. :P Talk about inspiration to start writing music again. Well, maybe not. I'll spare the world. :oops:

I love the intro too. It's very addicting, yet its only like 30 seconds worth. :D :D
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:07 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:Everyone check this out.

Elvis: 30 #1 Hits
80mins
$16.99 @ Tower Records

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Rings DVD (2-Disc)
Disc 1 is 178mins
Disc 2 is full of special features
$19.99 @ Best Buy

Which one is the better value?

Obviously, the DVD is head and shoulders above the CD. With a DVD you get 10 times as much content for a few bucks more. Sometimes even the DVD's are cheaper than CD's when they're on sale. This is an outcry, how can CD's and DVD's cost within a few bucks of each other,when the DVD delivers so much more content. This is why DVD sales are increasing very fast, while CD sales are going down the drain. CD's are simply priced too high for the average consumer.

AWWWWWWWW HELLLL YEAH! It's amazing. But then again, my best frind spends $25+ for his CD's. He's into that high end audio: $4000 power amp...$15,000 speakers (I think)...$1800 CD Player...$800 in speaker wire, etc. But then again, he doesn't mind spending the $$$ on CD's. I guess it's change compared to his audio gear, eh? I need to get him off the cough syrup.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden