Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Memorex/Fuji Taiyo Yuden - any differences?

Burn baby burn!

Memorex/Fuji Taiyo Yuden - any differences?

Postby mondo32 on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:47 pm

I have a DVD Player that only supports TY Fuji cdrs (it has good taste ;) )but the supply of Fuji TY are getting a bit limited for a fair value in my area and was wondering aside from the branding if there are any differences betweeen the TY Memorex (which are everywhere) and TY Fuji discs.
mondo32
Buffer Underrun

Re: Memorex/Fuji Taiyo Yuden - any differences?

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:52 pm

mondo32 wrote:I have a DVD Player that only supports TY Fuji cdrs (it has good taste ;) )but the supply of Fuji TY are getting a bit limited for a fair value in my area and was wondering aside from the branding if there are any differences betweeen the TY Memorex (which are everywhere) and TY Fuji discs.

There should be no difference. But I would buy a 50-pack first and try them out before buying more.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:56 pm

I think that BB has Memorex 100 packs for $10
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby mondo32 on Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:26 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

$10 for 100 - now that's a good deal. I'm in Canada and the store with a massive amount of Memorex TYs is actually Best Buy owned Future Shop where they want $30 for 50. This is what I'm currently paying for the Fuji's at Blockbuster but stock is running low... - these are the best deals around here in Canada I have found.

If any on-line stores selling them for that might be something to consider.

Since 50 is the biggest package for TYs I can get in Canada I'm going to keep my eyes open for any Memorex TY 10pk w/Jewel cases and see how they go.
mondo32
Buffer Underrun

Postby EatMoreChicken on Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:00 am

I have an old DVD player as well that only supports TY's. I tested out the Memorex TY's a few months back and they DIDN'T work. I used CDidentifier and the disc were different, although both still TY's. Not that it really matters, the Memorex disc were able to store a few more secs of data.

Anyway, I've used TDK TY's (which are hard to find in my area) and Fuji's and they seem to work 70% of the time, and only if burned at 4-8x. I pretty much stop using CD-Rs altogether and use Hi-Speed CD-RW's to watch stuff on my player. Personally, I'm just waiting for a DVD player to come out w/ all the features I'm looking for so I can stop this TY/CD-RW silliness.
EatMoreChicken
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:01 pm

mondo32 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

$10 for 100 - now that's a good deal. I'm in Canada and the store with a massive amount of Memorex TYs is actually Best Buy owned Future Shop where they want $30 for 50. This is what I'm currently paying for the Fuji's at Blockbuster but stock is running low... - these are the best deals around here in Canada I have found.

If any on-line stores selling them for that might be something to consider.

Since 50 is the biggest package for TYs I can get in Canada I'm going to keep my eyes open for any Memorex TY 10pk w/Jewel cases and see how they go.

Watch FS closely. The one I check in London Ont. seems to only carry Made In Taiwan Memorex. (CMC, not TY).
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:35 pm

mondo32,

Where abouts in Canada are you located?
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:24 am

I have TY made Memorex, Fuji and TDK discs and theres no difference in quality between them. I have been able to burn the 32X rated Memorex at 48X (smart burn off!) with NO error problems with my Lite-On - same disks, and same outstanding quality!

My only gripe about Memorex is that I havent been able to find any 40 or 48X TY's here - those disks here are proably CMC, Prodisc, Postech or Ritek's. I wish Memorex would stick with TY only, though the Prodiscs are very good quality.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives