Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD Error Message frequently

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD Error Message frequently

Postby lilly on Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:15 pm

I'm not computer savy (yet).
I often get an error that say's for example:
Incd
"This program has preferred on illegal operation and will be shut down."
Incd caused an invalid page fault in Module Kernal32 Dill @ 017f:bff88396

When I clicked on the X or Close it wouldn't go away. I was on the www and I could move the Error Window around so I could see web. I had to turn off the computer to get rid of it.

This error will pop up any time including when I first boot up.

I don't have a clue as to what is causing this error or how to eleminate it. If I knew the program or piece of hardware causing it I could call them to see if they could help. Otherwise I may need to call Microsoft at $35 per issue.

I'm operating WIN 98 SE on my PC. I have lots of RAM and plenty of space on my HD.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lilly
lilly
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:18 pm

Apparently the program causing the problems is InCD.

to get rid of it, go to Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
select InCD and then click Remove.

unless you really need packet writing, you can do without it and hopefully all will be well.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby lilly on Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:42 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't know what "packet reading" is so I don't know if I do it.
I went to Add/Delete. I have both:
InCD (Ahead Software)
and
InCD EasyWrite Reader (Ahead Software)

Am I to remove one or both? Will I still be able to burn CD's?

Is this software related to my CD burner or what?

I'm a photographer and am only interested in being able to save images that I have taken or manipulated. Will removing this cause any problems for me?

Thanks again.
Thanks,
Lilly
lilly
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:49 pm

Remove them both. It shouldn't cause any problems. If it does, post back here again and someone will help.

InCD is related to your CD writer, but is not necessary to use your CD writer. InCD is a separate program that allows you to use rewritable CDs (CD-RW) much like a floppy disc. Unfortunately it is known to be more troublesome than the regular Nero burning software, for a variety of reasons.

I personally don't use InCD. I have Nero installed, but not InCD. And I happily burn my photographs using Nero or Nero Express without any problems.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:55 pm

packet writing is a technology that allows you to do the following:
you can "format" a CDRW disc and after that you can treat it like a very big floppy disk - dragNdrop files to/from it.
but for that you need a special program that will enable this, like Ahead's InCD.
unfortunately, it is somewhat more problematic (buggy, sometimes causes system instabilities, sometimes data gets mysteriously lost etc.)

i'm guessing you don't do this, you just burn your data (pictures) to CDR/CDRWs with Nero.

InCD EasyWrite Reader is a utility that lets you read CDRWs written this way by InCD on other computers, if you don't have InCD. (there's some more details, but i'm guessing you're not interested anyway...).

bottom line:
if all you want to do is burn with Nero, you can safely remove both InCD and EasyWrite Reader from your system. doing this should only improve system stability.
hopefully the bug you described will go away.

let us know how it goes.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:59 pm

lilly:

If you are not using InCD and EasyWriteReader, you may remove them. On the other hand, it should be possible to get them working on your box, but we would need much more information about your hardware and software, and I am not sure you would be prepared to go through a possibly lengthy troubleshooting process.

BTW, did you get your computer with InCD and EasyWriteReader installed, and did you have these errors from the very beginning, or did they start appearing recently? Is your box running fine otherwise? Kernel32 error messages sometimes indicate hardware memory problems (memory chips going bad, overheated or not seated properly).

dodecahedron:

Under 98SE, one needs EasyWriteReader for reading packet-written discs in CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives independently of whether InCD is installed or not.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:12 pm

@KCK:
thanks. didn't know that.

@cfitz:
beat me again, while i was typing... :wink:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby tazdevl on Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:32 am

I have yet to experience a version of InCD that is remotely close to being bug free.

It doesn't seem to be a priority @ Ahead any longer given the lack of updates. Hopefully they've realized how many problems this app has caused and decided to go back to the drawing board.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:10 am

tazdevl:

Could you enlighten us as to the bugs of InCD 3.51.61 and 3.52.00b while using CD-RW (not DVD) discs? I have only heard about incompatibilities with some Nvidia IDE drivers.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby lilly on Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:40 pm

I just want to say thanks for the help I have received here regarding the InCD issue. I have removed it from the HD and thus far have not had any more problems (InCD error messages). Ironically, when I was about to delete it I did receive one last error message from InCD. I had to laugh, it was like it was daring me to remove it. HA! It's out of here.

Of cours we haven't tried to burn a CD either but hopefully we won't have any more problems.

In effect you have saved me a $35 service call to MicroSoft. Thanks so much.
Thanks,
Lilly
lilly
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:46 pm

I'm glad things are working now. Good luck, and please come back if you have any more questions.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby kawah on Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:53 pm

I had problem with InCD as well (posted another thread, have not got any response yet). I uninstall InCD and BSOD is gone. Of course I lost the ability to use CDRW as a big floppy (drag and drop is convenient when it works).

One strange thing I noticed is if I format a CDRW in DirectCD and drag some files and directories to it. On a computer with Nero and InCD, I can only see the first level, the subdirectores are empty. Remove InCD on that computer allow me to see files in the subdirectories. Format a CDRW using InCD, drag a few files and directories to it, I can read it fine on another computer with DirectCD. Strange. I guess InCD and DirectCD do not like each other.

I have another question. My drive support CD-MRW, do I need special software to read and write, all I am looking for is a convenient way to move files between computers in differnt location.
kawah
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:55 pm

kawah wrote:I guess InCD and DirectCD do not like each other.

They certainly do not. You can't run both of them on the same machine simultaneously, because they are each trying to do the same thing and will interfere with each other. Successfully running both on the same machine sequentially has been reported by at least one person, but is still not generally recommended since it takes a lot of effort to do right, if it can be done at all. Nor do you want to use InCD to try to write to a disc that has been formatted with Direct CD or visa versa. This is also asking for trouble.

You were able to read the DirectCD disc better after uninstalling InCD because at that point the native operating system's UDF reader was reading the disc instead of InCD trying to write and read the disc.

In summary, if you must use packet writing software (which I don't personally recommend because of the many problems typically associated with it), then pick just one and stick with consistently. Don't try to mix on the same machine or even different machines.

kawah wrote:I have another question. My drive support CD-MRW, do I need special software to read and write

For reading, no. Modern Windows operating systems have built-in UDF readers as mentioned above. For floppy-like packet writing, yes you do. Windows operating systems don't yet natively support Mt. Rainier, so you need a third-party packet writing solution to do this type of thing. The Mt. Rainier support in your drive will make that packet writing software work a little nicer, but won't eliminate the need for it.

Windows XP does have a cheesy CD writing capability built in, but it isn't very convenient and doesn't work all that well. Personally, I suggest installing a copy of Nero on each machine where you want to burn CDs, and then using it to burn simple ISO 9660 CDs in multi-session mode so you can incremently add (and pseudo-delete) files.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:28 pm

cfitz:

There are two options for formatting with InCD: standard CD-RW (UDF 1.50) and CD-MRW (Mt. Rainier).

If I remember correctly, XP without SP1 couldn't read any InCD discs in the DVD-ROM drive on my box (with InCD installed). After SP1, standard CD-RW discs could be read, but to read CD-MRW discs I had to install Ahead's EasyWriteReader. (BTW, I remember that the release notes for SP1 mentioned something like "improved handling of UDF 1.50", but I can't verify that information now.)

Although I'm not running W2K on my boxes, I would like to find out whether W2K SP3 can read standard (non-MRW) InCD discs natively. Apparently you are saying yes, but have you tried this in practice?

Similarly, has anybody tried reading CD-MRW discs on a box with a clean version of W2K SP3 (i.e., without additional packet writers or readers installed)?

To sum up, my current understanding is that XP SP1 can't read CD-MRW discs natively, and I would be suprised if W2K SP3 could.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:49 pm

I was thinking of XP when I said modern Windows OS could read UDF. I don't know whether or not Windows 2000 can, and didn't mean to imply that it could. I don't have any personal experience with it.

You are certainly more of an expert on packet writing in general and InCD in particular than I am, so I would go with whatever you say.

If Memorex ever sends me the promised 24x CD-RW disc, maybe I will give packet writing on W2K, both with and without Mr. Rainier, a test (a test only, I have no intention of using it on a regular basis). Of course, the disc they send, if they send one at all, will probably be the Infodisc junk that doesn't last more than one burn anyway, so my testing ability may be severely limited... :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby kawah on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:29 pm

I wrote a disc in CD-MRW format, and another disc with the same files in UDF format, both on the machine (W2KSP3 and InCD installed).

On the same machine the former is not readable, but the latter is on the DVD-ROM.

I brought the CD to work (W2KSP3, DirectCD). the latter is readable but the MRW is not. (The CDRW drive is LG4801, I think is MRW capable?)

Can I ask question of creating bootable CD here? or is it off topic?

Kawah

[quote="KCK"]cfitz:

There are two options for formatting with InCD: standard CD-RW (UDF 1.50) and CD-MRW (Mt. Rainier).

If I remember correctly, XP without SP1 couldn't read any InCD discs in the DVD-ROM drive on my box (with InCD installed). After SP1, standard CD-RW discs could be read, but to read CD-MRW discs I had to install Ahead's EasyWriteReader. (BTW, I remember that the release notes for SP1 mentioned something like "improved handling of UDF 1.50", but I can't verify that information now.)

Although I'm not running W2K on my boxes, I would like to find out whether W2K SP3 can read standard (non-MRW) InCD discs natively. Apparently you are saying yes, but have you tried this in practice?

Similarly, has anybody tried reading CD-MRW discs on a box with a clean version of W2K SP3 (i.e., without additional packet writers or readers installed)?

To sum up, my current understanding is that XP SP1 can't read CD-MRW discs natively, and I would be suprised if W2K SP3 could.[/quote]
kawah
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:16 pm

cfitz:

I wouldn't bother testing anything with a single Memorex CD-RW disc. But who knows, miracles do happen... :P

kawah:

Apparently you are not running EasyWriteReader on your home machine, but are you sure you have never installed Roxio's UDF Reader or similar software? You could check what is listed in Add/Remove Programs, and look for drivers such as UdfReadr.sys in C:\WinNT\System32\Drivers.

Similarly, you could check if you have Roxio's UDF Reader on your work box (many versions of DirectCD installed it by default).
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:10 pm

KCK wrote:tazdevl:

Could you enlighten us as to the bugs of InCD 3.51.61 and 3.52.00b while using CD-RW (not DVD) discs? I have only heard about incompatibilities with some Nvidia IDE drivers.

I haven't tried dealing with the latest version or two since I'm pretty much fed up with the app. I read your guide and it was nicely done. The only problem is that in all honesty, that guide shouldn't be necessary. End-users shouldn't have to tweak an app to be able to run it. The other thing to note is that Ahead should have put it out in InCD's nascent stages to aid in the adoption of the app.

However, in my experience, good design on the front-end tends to take care of any problems.

What have I experienced? BSODs, lockups, and discs that can't be read from one writing session to the next. This spanned I don't know, 4 revs of the product.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:36 pm

tazdevl:

I can understand your frustration with Ahead (especially the recent one, concerning sales and tech support).

As for InCD, my question re 3.51.61 and 3.52.00b was aimed at discovering specific bugs. As far as I know, starting from version 3.29, only version 3.37 had a rename bug for directories.

I agree that my guide shouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately we must still wait for InCD troubleshooting tips to appear on Ahead's site, as promised by CCampbell in December.

On the other hand, it should be clear that most steps of my InCD guide may be skipped for a clean XP installation (especially the ones related to Roxio's software), and the remaining steps don't need much time.

It seems that, barring poor media, 99% of InCD problems are due to conflicts with Adaptec/Roxio software, especially WMP plugins. In such cases, I would blame Roxio rather than Ahead; after all, since typically Roxio's software doesn't uninstall cleanly, should we expect Ahead to take care of Roxio's remnants? Well, maybe Ahead could help with something like Nero CleanTool, but complications arise when Windows Update installs yet another version of Roxio's software.

Still, starting from a reasonably clean OS installation, it shouldn't take more than an hour to check if InCD works for your combination of CD-RW media, the burner and the remaining hardware and software (e.g., chipset drivers, etc). So when you have some spare time, let me know, and I'll be glad to help if necessary. :P
KCK
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)