Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problems RE-flashing Lite-On 48125W - need help plz :)

Burn baby burn!

Problems RE-flashing Lite-On 48125W - need help plz :)

Postby adinar on Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:28 am

With the collective knowledge on this forum, I'm sure somehow can help me out & I would be eternally grateful.

I have a Pacific Digital 48/12/48 CD-RW - turns out it is a Lite-On 48125W. I previously successfully flashed it to VS08 because it would not write at the max speed of 48x. Everything worked fine after that firmware upgrade. I downloaded the firmware upgrade directly from the Lite-On website.

However, this past weekend, I ended up having to reinstall Windows XP Pro. After I reinstalled XP & Nero, I noticed that Nero would only recognize the max speed as 16x or 24x again. No problem - I would just upgrade the firmware again right? Wrong.

Some mistakes I may have made:
1) When I flashed it the 2nd time, I first tried running the VS08.exe directly from the WinZip file (I forgot I had to extract it & then run it from DOS).

2) Went back & ran the extracted version but it didn't seem to do anything.

3) Read about FlashFIX & thought it might not let me upgrade the firmware with the same firmware. Downloaded flashfix, ran it successfully on VS08.exe, re-ran VS08.exe on my burner - still nothing.

Have I pretty much screwed up my burner? It still works, but only shows a max speed of 16x. What can I do to fix it (if anything?) Is it possible to flash back to a previous firmware & then upgrade it again? I noticed that VS08.exe did say that it was only supposed to work on firmwares VS02 or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently running Windows XP Pro, Duron 750 (o/c to 933), Seagate 80GB HDD primary master, WD 20GB primary slave, Lite-On LTD-163 DVD-ROM secondary master, Lite-On LTR-48125W CD-RW secondary slave.

--A
adinar
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:37 am

I'm sure that the firmware is OK. The problem may be with the media. If you want to be sure, download a binary version of VS08 and use it with mtkwinflash
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby adinar on Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:13 am

dhc014 wrote:I'm sure that the firmware is OK. The problem may be with the media. If you want to be sure, download a binary version of VS08 and use it with mtkwinflash

Thanks for the info - I ended up doing as you said (mtkwinflash & binary vs08) and it worked.
adinar
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives