Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Question about MRW Format

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Question about MRW Format

Postby Daiwa on Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:41 pm

Is MRW format capability hardware-dependent rather than a software feature? I have InCD installed with a Norcent burner on my desktop & the option to use MRW is available in the InCD Page Settings dialog, but on my combo DVD-CDRW notebook drive (Dell), that option doesn't show up and it formats only in CD-RW. For compatibility (read/write same InCD disc in both machines), should I use only CD-RW format? Sorry to ask such an obvious question, but you never know. Thanks. :D

Daiwa
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:44 pm

Yes, a burner needs special firmware to support CD-MRW. Thus for compatibility you should only use standard CD-RW formatting on both boxes.

BTW, which laptop and combo drive are you using? Some drives only need firmware upgrades to gain CD-MRW support.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:40 am

note: even if your combo drive doesn't support Mt. Rainier, it will still be able to read Mt. Rainier discs written by your desktop. just won't be able to write to them.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:42 am

Thanks, KCK. Figured that was the case.

The notebook is a Dell Inspiron 4000 with Dell's 24X CD-RW/DVD Module. P/N on it is 6P811-A00. Can't tell who the OEM is, but labeled Made in Korea. I've checked with Dell's D/L site - unable to find any firmware updates for this particular drive. The only reason I'd be interested in using MRW on both is that it seems to format a *lot* faster in MRW - as in 15 seconds versus 10 minutes with CD-RW. At least the EasyReader software will let me read and copy from a CD-MRW disc on my notebook so the discs I've already formatted that way on the desktop are not truly wasted, but I'll stick with CD-RW in the future on both.

Thanks again. This is a really good resource forum, thanks to the quick responses from folks like you. I really appreciate it. :D

Daiwa
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Daiwa on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:44 am

And thanks to you, too, dodecahedron - caught me in mid-reply. :D

Daiwa
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:28 am

daiwa:

To learn more about your laptop drive, just visit Dell Community Forum

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforu ... d=inspiron

and go to the CD/DVD Devices board. However, don't expect too much: based on the complaints appearing on this forum, I didn't buy an internal combo drive with my Latitude C840! :(
KCK
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)