Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Garbage TDK Discs

Burn baby burn!

Postby Joker on Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:55 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Joker wrote:That's the info I get from some of the made in U.S.A. TDK discs with the exception that the ATIP is slightly different, I get:
ATIP: 97m 15s 00f
Disc Manufacturer: TDK Corp.

They were marketed in the U.S. at the time as All Speed Certified Plus.

are they the same dye type as the one i mentioned:
Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO) ?

Yes, they are. The results I got with CDSpeed and CDR Identifier were identical to the results you posted other than that slightly different ATIP.

Joker
Joker
CD-RW Thug

Postby jase on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:28 am

TY media has always been known for its excellent quality. So, provided that TY media is on the recommended list for your CD-RW drive, TY media is an *excellent* choice.

I totally agree with you! The part of your argument I took issue with was the bit about Ritek being crap. In my experience this is very wide of the mark.

Also, TY discs are available at retail stores. Maxell CD-R *Pro* and all FujiFilm discs are TY and available at retail stores.

Alas, they're rare here in the UK. The only TY media I have found at anything like a reasonable price is at SVP and they are charging 25p a shot, almost double the price of Ritek and it's unbranded :( Everywhere else it's like a pound a shot (1UKP~1.60US$).

There are many other places on the 'net that praise TY media. Furthermore, there is no correlation between dye type and quality--not that you inferred that dye type is an important factor in choosing quality discs. Many people say there is, but there isn't!

Quite. I personally think that, on balance, the quality of phthalocyanine-based discs from Taiwanese manufacturers is higher than the cheap cyanine media but at their best, both cyanine and phthalocyanine are excellent.
jase
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives