Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Shopping Time for Me

Burn baby burn!

Shopping Time for Me

Postby DaRube on Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:53 pm

I will be putting together a new workstation soon, so I am trying to acquaint myself with the CD-RW choices available. Perhaps you may have a few suggestions.

My philosophy is to get the "Best of the Cheap". I don't need many special features. I will be doing full disk copies, some compilations, audio where it doesn't add spaces between the tracks. I would like to get a drive bundled with software that supports these features. I could get by with a lower speed drive if the burn would be more reliable .... or I could run a fast drive at a lower speed to make sure. I tend to buy bulk media, not necessarily name-brand, so wide compatibility would be helpful. I will be running Win2K, so good drivers for that OS would be needed.

If I could identify 2 or 3 drive models that do well on these criteria, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance. :)
DaRube
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:33 pm

If you want the best bang for your buck, any of the Lite-On CD-RW drives will do. However, if you want something in the $20-$30 range, I would head on over to the hot deals forum. Every Sunday, new weekly ads will be posted by me or someone else that informs this community of hot deals of the week.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Thanks

Postby DaRube on Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:31 pm

Thanks. Reading the well done review on the Lite-On 52x was my entry into this site ... and the realization there was lots more for me to learn.

A hot deals forum is a very nice feature, too.
DaRube
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:51 pm

When people suggest Lite-On, I immediately suggest LG as an alternative. LG is excellent and cheap, just like Lite-On.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:14 pm

My latest LiteOn is a retail box Verbatim !... $29.99 incl. mir @ Fry's ! :wink:

a simple fware flash (or two) and it's an original (LITE-ON LTR-52246S/fware 6S0C) 8)
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives