Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero Cover Designer

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero Cover Designer

Postby Pilgrim on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:10 pm

Go ahead and call me dense Image, but I find Nero's "Cover Designer" less than intuitive. The learning curve seems to be a little steep for this old guy. I rarely if ever try to create box labels; only disc labels. Is there another program out there that is easier to use? Or perhaps there is a decent Tutorial somewhere that I might read that would offer some help.

Thanks,

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:49 pm

I agree that it isn't very intuitive. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you might look at this:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5121#45121

I don't think that really helps with your question. Sorry.

As for other programs, there are certainly many of them out there, but I personally can't recommend any because I tend to just use a CD marker pen and write on the disc with my chicken scratch. I don't like to apply labels to the CD itself.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Pilgrim on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:57 pm

Thanks.... I'll take a look at that page you recommended.

I have sorta figured out how to manipulate text, styles, etc. but I can't seem to be able to create a background image to apply to it. Consequently, I am forced to use the rather bland or inane default backgrounds supplied with Cover Designer.

One further question, if I might add one here, re: your use of a CD marker. I used to have one of those things at one time, but lately I have been using a broad-tip "Sharpie".

1) Is this not recommended?
2) Can the writing be removed in situations where one desires to reuse the disc, e.g., a CD-RW and needs to relabel it?

Thanks,

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:34 pm

Adding an image is easy enough. Just select "Object"->"Background Properties" from the main menu, then navigate to the "Image" tab and select "File..." in the "Image source" box. Select an image file you have already created in a graphics program or downloaded from the web, and Cover Designer will scale it and apply it as your background.

As for Sharpies, people have been using them to mark CDs for years with no apparent ill effect. But now that CD specific markers are available, I like to use them just to be safe.

A little bit of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will erase "permanent" ink markers like Sharpies that have been applied to a non-porous surface. Rubbing alcohol has a lot of water in it and isn't too strong, so I'd say there is a reasonable chance it won't harm the protective lacquer layer on the top side of a CD if applied sparingly and gently. But I can't guarantee it, not having tried it myself.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Shaman on Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:47 pm

Pilgrim:
Take a look at MediaFace 4.0. There's a free version (MediaFace II). I found both excellent and easy to use with great support. They are developed by Neato, a company, as you may know, that makes labels for everything. Good fortune with whatever you choose. :wink:
Shaman
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:09 am

Here are what some others recommend as well (including Shaman):

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9344

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Pilgrim on Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:19 am

Thanks guys....... That MediaFace II looks interesting. Perhaps I'll give that one a trial run. :D

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)