Home News Reviews Forums Shop

help:software for burning batch listing

Anything else

help:software for burning batch listing

Postby tofudrifter on Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:20 pm

I have a problem in finding a software that can handle imports of uncpaths or regular paths of where particular files are located.
eg.
\\test\123.doc
\\image3\245.tif
c:\adf.mp3
D:\whateverzzz.txt

there are sporadic files all over my computer and on server where I can locate and create one huge file listing and rather than create a batch file copy from sporadic places to one particular folder. Rather than copying all these files (creating dupiclates) which is taking up limited server space are there any programs out there that will allow a batch import of your source file listings or allow one to create a file where one can manually create the source directory of where all files are to be burnt from? I know that back in the day for cdrwin we can edit the cue file but that's like only to point to wav's and bin files. Any help is greatly appreciated much thanks in advance :wink:

allen....
tofudrifter
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:38 pm

Is this a static list of files, or does it change with every burn?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tofudrifter on Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:00 pm

it all depends on how many copies it is required, what happened is that specific images need to be removed from our image servers and as stated b4 they're located sporadically throughout 3 image servers and since currently' the process is to make a copy file batch to move only the ones we wish to burn into a temporary folder, we might as well just make a file batch listing of what we want to burn and import it into burning software.....and yesh it would change everytime....
tofudrifter
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:23 pm

How about using the command line interface to Nero, nerocmd.exe? It comes bundled with the regular Nero product, and may be found in the Nero directory (typically C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero).

For example, I created the following command parameters file and saved it with the name parameters.txt:
Code: Select all
--write --drivename h --real --tao --iso test
--close_session --underrun_prot
c:\autoexec.bat
\\remote1\c$\install.bat
\\remote2\junk\install.log
Boo.wav
.\DingDong.wav
..\..\..\asdf.mp3

Then I executed nerocmd.exe within the Nero directory as follows:

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero>nerocmd @parameters.txt

It successfully burned all six files, including the UNC specified network files.

You can see a list of all the parameters supported by nerocmd.exe by just running it without any parameters specified. The ones I used for my test were:

--write to write a CD
--drivename h to specify that the burner with drive letter h should be used
--real to actually burn a disc (if omitted, the burn is only simulated)
--tao to burn in track-at-once mode
--iso test to burn an ISO 9660 data disc with volume label "test"
--close_session to close the session rather than the whole disc
--underrrun_prot to activate buffer underrun prevention

The remaining lines are just the names of the files I wanted to burn.

I believe that Nero temporarily caches network files locally by default, so you will have to disable that if you want to avoid using local disc space (assuming that temporary copies that are deleted just after the burn are unacceptable to you as well). Also, if you don't cache the network files, be sure to have a responsive network and to enable buffer underrun protection. Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tofudrifter on Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:18 pm

nice!!! :lol: ...very very nice...thanks alot...now i can work nero like any other database...hehehehe
:wink:

allen....
tofudrifter
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:45 pm

You are welcome.

As another alternative, I notice that WinOnCD's project files are stored as simple text files that are amenable to hand editing and creating, if you don't like the command-line interface of Nero. There may be other programs that also have editable project/compilation files. But I really think nerocmd would be easier in your case, particularly in a batch environment.

For what it is worth, Nero also has an API which you can call through your own programs, if you want to get that intense. The SDK can be downloaded here:

http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1002825 ... 2825712128

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tofudrifter on Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:34 pm

hey cfitz,
i didn't get a chance to burn it yet, but after u burnt the 6 files, were they all in one root folder? or were their owne respective folders copied over as well? I wonder if we can also designate a desintation folder as well...hehehe....

allen.. :roll:
tofudrifter
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:37 pm

It put them all in the root directory. Looking at the source code, it appears that it won't generate directories unless you specify a wild-card in the list such as c:\sourcefiles\*. And even then the directories will just encompass the sub-directories of what you specified. This is based on just a quick look. I haven't investigated thoroughly nor experimented beyond what I already told you.

If this is unacceptable, you might want to try the freeware mkisofs and cdrdao combination and see if you can make them do want you want. That would probably be a little harder than using nerocmd.exe. You could also modify the nerocmd source code to make it do what you want. Download it with the SDK I linked to above. You might want to download the SDK even if you don't intend to modify the source code, since it has some documentation in it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:41 pm

I just noticed from MikeTR and Inertia's discussions in the Gear Pro thread in this same forum that Gear Pro Professional Edition has fairly substantial scripting support that might be useful for your application:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/prof/index.cfm

Download the trial version to get the manual.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to General Software Questions