Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sorry I'm not being critical here, but

Burn baby burn!

Sorry I'm not being critical here, but

Postby Albinoni on Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:20 pm

Its seems to me on this forum and others, more people seem to be having problems with their burners when using XP over any other OS. I'm using 2000 Pro and 98SE, love 2000 Pro, personally I think it's far better than XP but thats my own opinion. Never ever had problems with my burners on both 2000 Pro and 98SE.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:30 pm

well think how new xp is, now think about how much support 2k, or even ME has

theres your answer
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:29 pm

I personally think that the quality of your burner plays a much bigger role in problems then the OS itself. Even if your using a more stable OS like win98 or win2k, your still going to have problems if your burner is of crappy quality. Buy a nice burner from Lite-On, LG, Samsung, Plextor, Yamaha, and etc. and you won't have as many problems.

But for windows xp, I've had it paired up with my TDK 48x for over 6 months now and I haven't had any problems what so ever. And before that, I had a TDK 12x hooked up to windows xp with no problems either. Each person's OS and system hardware will function and perform differently since there are so many configurations out there.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:50 pm

My XP Pro has been the most stable Microshaft product I've used. Almost never get a BOD, usually it just stops the offending process and your still running.
If you have good recent gear it's stable and fast with enough memory. If your running older stuff it can be a problem but it does have a compatibilty wizard you can run before install that finds most problem areas.
The NTSFT or whatever file system seems way more stable as far as getting bad sectors or other errors over time also.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Scrondar on Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:37 pm

IMHO, XP is better than Win2K when it comes to hardware in general. I have worked on many Win2K machines that have had a variety of hardware incompatibilties or simply do not see new/different hardware install. With my XP machine, it has yet to fail to see, install, and run any hardware I've put in it. From where I sit, XP is Win2K with multimedia in mind.
Scrondar
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:53 pm

I run Windows XP Home where it belongs, in my home. I have no problem burning with it.

I use Windows 2000 Pro at work because I have no choice in the matter.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:52 am

I've had no problem burning with XP home. My old rig with windows 95 was OK too (the burner wasn't great though).
Perhaps some of the problems Albioni noticed are because this is the first Windows version with a built-in burning engine. This may cause some problems.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby blakerwry on Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:29 am

I think part of the roginal post's assumptions are wrong.

Most systems that come with a CD writer are also coming with winXP... Also, lots of people are now using winXP, especially the people who upgrade their computers "when the next best thing" comes out. These upgraders are also more likely to have a CD writer.

I bet if you did a poll of every person to post on these forums, you'd find that the largest OS used is winXP.

Since there are more people using XP, it only makes sense that there would be a higher occurence of problems on XP. However, this number is not necessarily larger than it should be in proportion to the number of XP users.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby seezar on Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:07 pm

blakerwry wrote:Since there are more people using XP, it only makes sense that there would be a higher occurence of problems on XP. However, this number is not necessarily larger than it should be in proportion to the number of XP users.

I think this is exactly right. People arent going to come to the forums and say how great something is working, they post on here when they have a problem. Since XP is becoming more widely used, more posts with problems.

Without knowing the percentage of users running each OS you cant just go by number of problems posted.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby jase on Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:50 pm

I personally think that the quality of your burner plays a much bigger role in problems then the OS itself. Even if your using a more stable OS like win98 or win2k, your still going to have problems if your burner is of crappy quality.

Why? Surely the only reason a "crappy quality" burner is going to perform less well than a better one is with regards to things like media compatibility? I've never had any issues with any writer on any operating system which have not also manifested themselves with a different writer as well.

Just interested to know why you posted this. Not necessarily disagreeing with you but some examples would be nice.
jase
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives