Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG GCC-4320B, difficulty reading CD-Rs

Burn baby burn!

LG GCC-4320B, difficulty reading CD-Rs

Postby EKM on Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:29 pm

I have a fairly sizable divx collection on varying brands of CD-R, most of which I've watched before on my old drive (sorry, don't know the brand) and not had any problems with.

I got a few out to watch just now, and upon getting error after error in Media Player I ran Nero CD Speed's Scandisc Surface Scan to have a look. About 1/3 of the blocks on the disc were unreadable, which strikes me as quite odd for discs I've used more than once before.

Anyone know why this might be?
Abandon all pants, ye who enter here.
EKM
Buffer Underrun

Postby EKM on Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:19 am

Alright, more strangeness: I just watched one of the discs that my drive told me was screwed up on someone else's computer, and it ran perfectly.
EKM
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:07 am

Then it would appear to be an issue with your drive. Three major factors go into determining the quality of a disc: the drive used to burn it, the media itself, and the drive used to read it. I had an old AOpen drive that showed many errors on all my discs. I thought my Yamaha burner was doing a bad job, but then got a LiteOn burner and a LiteOn DVD-ROM, and both of them read the discs with no C2 errors at all.

You might want to upgrade your drive's firmware if it doesn't have the latest:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=251

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby EKM on Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:30 pm

For whatever reason the download on that site times out, as does the one from www.cdinfo.com. :/

Anyone know any other sites I might try?

Also: If I were to upgrade the firmware and it didn't solve the problem, at that point should I start packing it up to send off to the manufacturer?
EKM
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:27 pm

The LG sites seem to have been having troubles this weekend. Try again tomorrow:

GCC-4320B102(EW).zip

If the firmware upgrade doesn't fix it, then I would probably want to try the drive in another computer first. If it didn't work there, or if another computer isn't available, then I would pack up the drive.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives