Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Advices Needed and Questions on Combo-Drives...

Burn baby burn!

Advices Needed and Questions on Combo-Drives...

Postby Yellow_Lenghan on Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:24 pm

Hi, im following this site for a couple of weeks, but first time posting. I never owned a CD writer, so if i say some false things, just correct me :-?

First question, probably for Ian... is a review of the LG combo drive 4480b on your schedule anytime soon? (i hope so :wink: ) If not, how would you compare it with the samsung 348B?

More general questions, when will the new 52X combo drives from LG and Lite-On be available in North America?

And Advices... which Combo Drive would be best for me (see criteria below), the LG 4480b or the samsung 348b (oem, 2mb cache)? or should i wait for the 52X combo drives from LG or Lite-On.

My criteria are (in order of importance i think :wink: ):
- Low Noise when reading CD and DVD, not when writing (i mainly play games, i wont burn many CDs a month (5-6 at max)).
- Excellent writing quality at low/medium speed (around 16X i guess... im quite new to this, but i plan to use the "average" CDs, not the high speed ones that cost a lot more i think, u can correct me on this :wink: ) (regarding C1 and C2 errors.)
- Good capacity to read scratched/damaged CDs.
- Decent DVD reading performance, good enough to enjoy watching a DVD occasionnaly.
- Compatibility with Media (as much as possible, i dont want to buy blank CD that wont work), specially at low-medium speed (16X). I wont buy 48X/40X/32X CDs unless their prices fall a lot.

Thank you in advance!
Yellow_Lenghan
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:37 pm

Both LG and Samsung drives are usually quiet. From what I've heard, LG drives are more reliable than Samsung.

As far as the CD media is concerned, where can you still find older 16x media? You can find 40x and 48x media on sale (at CompUSA, OfficeMax, Office Depot, BestBuy, etc.) for about $10 for 100 blanks each week. For the best writing quality, it's best to stick with brands like Fuji, Imation, and TDK.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Yellow_Lenghan on Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:24 pm

oohhh... thanks LiteOnGuy for the imput on 40X 48X being "average" cd's. What i checked quickly earlier at Futurshop were cd-R and they were 12X. They are not rewritable and are 12X, so i thought they were typical.
Yellow_Lenghan
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:30 pm

I should mention that those ads were in the US. I don't know where you live, so I don't know what deals will be accessible to you.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives