Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Extraordinary Customer Service!

What was that?

Extraordinary Customer Service!

Postby TheWizard on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:18 am

Anybody have any stories to tell of extraordinary (or not so extraordinary) customer service and support with any computer hardware companies? Just to get the ball rolling, look at the links below for raves about LG and Plextor customer service.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9088
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8527
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:02 pm

As everybody knows, Lite-on has the cheapiest, worst, non-working custumer service. I tried to contact them in various way and never got any response. But anyway who needs customer service when you have cdrlabs. I think companies should pay this site for all the help it provides to many people, specially Lite-on. As long as your problem doesn't involve claiming any warranty I bet you'll get better support here than from any tech support or customer service(CDRW related).
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:38 pm

Interesting...can anyone verify the customer service of Lite-On as being poor?

It makes sense, Lite-On drives are sold very cheap, so they must cut costs somewhere. Everyone raves about the quality of Lite-On drives, but what about customer service? To me, it's a very important aspect of a company.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:38 pm

CignaXI wrote:As long as your problem doesn't involve claiming any warranty I bet you'll get better support here than from any tech support or customer service(CDRW related).

I totally agree with you there. If I'm ever having computer problems, I always post here and someone will answer it. We have so many people here that are knowledgeable about CD-RW's, DVD's, hardware, software, and etc., that your bounded to get a response.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:37 am

How about retailers?

I had to return a 19" Viewsonic A90F because of a small screen problem. I'd already mailed in the rebate form with the original UPC and a copy of the receipt (I had the original receipt).

Staples Canada (aka Business Depot) was fantastic. They exchanged the monitor with only 1 question asked. What's wrong with it? I was out of the store in under 5 minutes with another brand new monitor. No restocking fee.

The sales clerk had to jump though a few hoops to get the serial # from the old one, and filled in 1 piece of paper to send back with it.

If I was really :evil: I could send in the new UPC with a new rebate form with a friends name on it and try and get another $75.
Last edited by Spazmogen on Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:36 pm

The retailer having the best service has to be Fry's Electronics hands down. You can return anything back to them. Their return policy is very generious. My friend bought a laptop for his trip and then after the trip was over, he was still able to return the laptop back for a full refund, just as long as its before the 14 day return period. Fry's also does a good job when exchanging faulty motherboards or what not. They always want to make the customer happy.

Costco is another place that does a really good job on customer service. They will take anything back that hasn't been used including food items.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:20 am

Spazmogen wrote:How about retailers?
If I was really :evil: I could send in the new UPC with a new rebate form with a friends name on it and try and get another $75.

That's fraud and if you get caught it will cost you more than $75.00.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:22 pm

Yuppers. I agree fully.

That's why I used the Evil emoticon.

Obviously, I wouldn't even try it.

It's not worth losing a 50K a year government job for $75

But being a police dept. employee, I recommend that you (the readers) do it. It will keep me in a job for a while. :wink: :wink: :wink:
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:06 pm

Spazmogen wrote:But being a police dept. employee, I recommend that you (the readers) do it. It will keep me in a job for a while. :wink: :wink: :wink:

:evil: ...evil... :evil: ...sinister... :evil: ...devious... :evil: ...diabolical... :evil:
:wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CignaXI on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:28 am

I know you wouldn't try it. I just posted that in case of anyone thinking of trying it. They might not get you but if they do it wouldn't be worth it.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

kingston

Postby mikeg on Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:47 am

I bought a new computer last october and decided to add some ram pc2100 128mg the first dimm gave me the blue screen bootin blues office max ran an add for kingston value ram pc2100x256mg 39.00 after rebate.
I was a little concerned because of my previous bad experience and some question about the proper bus speed for my computer. the computer mfg. was less than useless it was a toll call.I called kingston and they couldn't have been better. the ram is working great I got my rebate and all is well.
mikeg
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:44 am

I've had good experience with Kingston too. I bought some memory a few years ago that had problems with some of the VIA chipsets at the time. Emailed Kingston about the problems and they sent me a new stick in no time.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CignaXI on Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:20 am

Ian wrote:I've had good experience with Kingston too. I bought some memory a few years ago that had problems with some of the VIA chipsets at the time. Emailed Kingston about the problems and they sent me a new stick in no time.

Hey Ian can you help me with something related to that. I have some Value-Ram from kingston that is about a year old that went dead, I had two of the same in my mobo and one of them just died. I read waranty policy and they have a long distant phone number there, I went to there site to see if there was some way to save me up the long dinstan call but all I found was a fax number to submit the RMA.

Where did you found this email?
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:28 am

cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CignaXI on Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:51 pm

Thanks cfitz, I don't know what happened the first time I cheked I didn't find that.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:14 am

CignaXI wrote:
Spazmogen wrote:How about retailers?

That's fraud and if you get caught it will cost you more than $75.00.

Hmm, a BestBuy employee suggested that I do this when I bought two spindles of CD-Rs last year, and the limit was one rebate (which I haven't gotten yet). :roll: :evil: Needless to say, I only sent in one rebate because I didn't want to commit fraud.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:47 pm

Newegg.com, ordered stuff saturday, recieved wednesday, said 3-5 business days, took 2 :)
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:17 pm

An update on my LG customer service story regarding http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9088

I just received the replacement GCE-8320B today. I sent them my broken drive on February 11. So, the turn-around time was over 2 months, but I'm still satisfied despite the 8-week waiting period. The replacement drive works well.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:59 pm

I had the tray on one of my Yamaha drives go bad. I mailed the faulty drive to Yamaha in Ontario via UPS and received a brand new drive in 4 days. I don't know if that was because I had emailed them prior to shipping it but anyone familiar with the delivery situation in Canada would describe that as nothing short of amazing. Kudos to Yamaha!
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:04 pm

I've been very pleased with NewEgg, too. I recently placed an order on a Monday afternoon, and it arrived on Wednesday, less than 48 hours later, even though I didn't buy two-day shipping! :D

Also, I've twice been charged more than I expected due to typos on their web site, but both times, they've quickly refunded the extra money. I'm quite pleased with their service.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to Rants n' Raves