Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Frightened to upgrade to XP

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Frightened to upgrade to XP

Postby majbach on Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:52 am

I'm combing through all the forums and posts hoping to learn a little more on my new 8481b and the two major software programs to run it. However, I can't help but notice the abundant problems there seems to be with windows XP. I have a copy of XP Pro sitting in front of me but i have been apprehinsive to install it as i have heard a plethora of software incompatibilty isssues; enough to outweigh the extra stabilty if offers. The posts here seem to verify that. Is it just becauase so people are upgrading to XP ( no one is upgrading to 98 SE for example) that there are so many posts about problems with drives or is XP really that much of a hassle?

APRIL 18
well thanks so far guys, I think I will upgrade. I mean, move to a new o/s; I always do a clean install. But here is an option I havent considered but would really like to do: have a dual boot system. These are my questions:
I have a big hard drive running WinMe. There are 3 partitions and one is bigger than 32Gig ( I hear this is an issue). I also have full copies of partition magic V. 7 & 8 but have never used either before. I hear Version 8 has problems. All three of my partitions have data. i would like to add another parition by sizing down 2 of the larger ones and adding WinXP. is this possible? I am also unfamiliar with NTFS but hear I should use it. Is the size of the parition important when using the file system? If I use NTFS ONLY for the WinXP parition and leave the other three FAT32, will I be able to read them when inWinXP? I understand I will not be able to read the NTFS partition when booted into ME.
Does this all sound feasible? Will parition magic accomplish adding a fourth partition and allow me to make it NTSF? Thanks for all your help.
Last edited by majbach on Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
majbach
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:24 am

I'm not aware of XP being a big hassle. I think most users are happy with its improved features and stability.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: Frightened to upgrade to XP

Postby tazdevl on Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:26 pm

majbach wrote:I'm combing through all the forums and posts hoping to learn a little more on my new 8481b and the two major software programs to run it. However, I can't help but notice the abundant problems there seems to be with windows XP. I have a copy of XP Pro sitting in front of me but i have been apprehinsive to install it as i have heard a plethora of software incompatibilty isssues; enough to outweigh the extra stabilty if offers. The posts here seem to verify that. Is it just becauase so people are upgrading to XP ( no one is upgrading to 98 SE for example) that there are so many posts about problems with drives or is XP really that much of a hassle?

First off, 9 out of 10 problems arise from user error and aren't software related. User error can cover misconfigured hardware and/or software.

XP is probably the best OS that MS has ever developed.

As to compatibility issues, there are always a couple, regardless of the OS. Nice thing about XP is that you can run the app in emulation mode, so if it can't be run 32bit mode, you can run it in 16bit mode.

I'd like to hear something specific, rather than you making sweeping statements. Also, if the software came out after XP, it's the fault of the software developers, not MS, for any problems. Since the coding environment is established and needless to say the user base is rather large.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:50 pm

If I had a choice between XP or 2000 I would choose 2000.
Just my .02
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Scrondar on Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:35 pm

I've used Win2K and XP Pro extensively (at home and at work in a LARGE N/W environment) and for my money, XP is the OS that Microsoft wishes it had published a long time ago. I just reinstalled it because of a motherboard upgrade, and it went slicker than snot. Take the plunge, but read up before you do.
Scrondar
Buffer Underrun

Re: Frightened to upgrade to XP

Postby dbeko on Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:01 pm

majbach wrote:I'm combing through all the forums and posts hoping to learn a little more on my new 8481b and the two major software programs to run it. However, I can't help but notice the abundant problems there seems to be with windows XP.

I have two computers, one running Win2K and the other XP-Pro. I have had zero problems with either OS. There's much less "eye-candy" in Win2K (I know you can turn it off in XP) though.
dbeko
Buffer Underrun

XP's OK

Postby jamesfrmphilly on Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:31 pm

i would do a clean install rather than upgrade if you can.
for every post you see about a problem, there are 10k people who are not having problems.
jamesfrmphilly
Buffer Underrun

Postby VEFF on Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:55 pm

I have XP Pro, and it is the most stable Windows OS I have used.
No major problems.

It also has the system restore and rollback driver functionality which can save you in case of any major problems.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby Abell44 on Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:54 pm

I'm currently running XP Pro w/SP1 and the 8481b. No problems.
As jamesfromphilly already suggested, do a clean install.

Like the other's who posted, I've also been impressed with how stable
it's been. Six months and I haven't had it crash on me yet.

Good luck!
Abell44
Buffer Underrun

ok, i'll do it but...

Postby majbach on Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 pm

well thanks so far guys, I think I will upgrade. I mean, move to a new o/s; I always do a clean install. But here is an option I havent considered but would really like to do: have a dual boot system. These are my questions:
I have a big hard drive running WinMe. There are 3 partitions and one is bigger than 32Gig ( I hear this is an issue). I also have full copies of partition magic V. 7 & 8 but have never used either before. I hear Version 8 has problems. All three of my partitions have data. i would like to add another parition by sizing down 2 of the larger ones and adding WinXP. is this possible? I am also unfamiliar with NTFS but hear I should use it. Is the size of the parition important when using the file system? If I use NTFS ONLY for the WinXP parition and leave the other three FAT32, will I be able to read them when inWinXP? I understand I will not be able to read the NTFS partition when booted into ME.
Does this all sound feasible? Will parition magic accomplish adding a fourth partition and allow me to make it NTSF? Thanks for all your help.
majbach
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:07 am

partition size > 32GB is not an issue in winXP. not if your'e going to create/arrange the partitions with Partition Magic.
read more about it in this thread:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6069

winXP will be able to read your FAT32 partitions, no problem here at all.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

No problems.

Postby pranav81 on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:53 am

You can install Roxio EZCD 5 on your Windows XP box without problems if you update the EZCD to latest by the patch available on the Roxio site.
I am using Win XP Pro SP1 with Nero and Roxio EZCD 5 Plat. with no problems at all.
See ya guys later,

Pranav.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio