Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TDK VELOCD 52/24/48 Problems.

Burn baby burn!

TDK VELOCD 52/24/48 Problems.

Postby thongie on Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:49 pm

I just wanted to vent my comments about this burner. I just wanted to say that this burner sucks. I bought this burner because of the reviews that it has, and it has given me a lot of problems.

For one, it doesnt read some of the burnt cds that i made with the sony cdr 48x, and I would have to click on the drive and explore it to open the disk up. Another problem that i have is that when i leave a disc in the cdr, it makes this loud ear schreeeching noise, and i thought something was caught in one of my fans.

I exchanged this cdr 4 times, thinking that the product might be defective. But, its the cdr itself, it just sucks. I really wanted this cdr so it can match my case, but o well.

So, another recommendation for a good cdr guys??
"It is not wise to dive in shallow water"
thongie
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:48 pm

I don't even know why you are having so many problems. I have the TDK 48x and I love it. I can't believe you are already on your 4th TDK unit already. They shouldn't be that bad quality.

For your first problem, is your auto-run enabled for your TDK burner? Your Sony and TDK drives are based on a Lite-On drive, so there shouldn't be that much of a difference in performace or quality between the two of them.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Wolo on Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:18 pm

I am also disappointed in the quality of my TDK drive. Furthermore, I'm annoyed by the fact that TDK is making me send them my broken drive before they send me a new one. I would much rather have them send a replacement (secured by credit card) first, but they will not.

I posted a message last week about a problem I was having with my 4800B drive. BuddhaTB was kind enough to recommend the latest firmware, which appeared to fix my problem. Unfortunately, after burning a few audio discs, the problem resurfaced. I have since discovered that I can only successfully burn one disc per day! I suspected a heat-related problem, but the drive is cool to the touch.

I chatted online with a TDK support technician, who recommended an RMA. I haven't sent it yet, because I was hoping to find another one of those rebadged Lite-On deals for $19.99 -- to avoid the shipping hassle and turn-around time. I'm willing to give Lite-On another chance, but I am growing skeptical.

-Wolo
Wolo
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:58 pm

I have had good luck with my Lite-On 32123S and 12101B. I do like drives other than Lite-Ons though (my Philips and Matshita CD-RW drives, for instance).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Re: TDK VELOCD 52/24/48 Problems.

Postby tlotz on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:27 am

thongie wrote:I just wanted to vent my comments about this burner. I just wanted to say that this burner sucks. I bought this burner because of the reviews that it has, and it has given me a lot of problems.

For one, it doesnt read some of the burnt cds that i made with the sony cdr 48x, and I would have to click on the drive and explore it to open the disk up. Another problem that i have is that when i leave a disc in the cdr, it makes this loud ear schreeeching noise, and i thought something was caught in one of my fans.

I exchanged this cdr 4 times, thinking that the product might be defective. But, its the cdr itself, it just sucks. I really wanted this cdr so it can match my case, but o well.

So, another recommendation for a good cdr guys??

I own the same burner and have no problems whatsoever--I am quite happy with it. I am using the 67U4 firmware--I have not upgraded it to LiteOn firmware. Are you using the 67U4 firmware? Perhaps you should flash the drive to the latest and greatest LiteOn firmware if the 67U4 firmware doesn't help your problem. Your problem is indeed strange. If you can stand to give LiteOn another chance (your TDK burner is a rebadged LiteOn), try a real LiteOn LTR-52246S. If that doesn't work, try a Yamaha F1. Remember: your Sony is also a LiteOn unit. For whatever reason, this drive and your system aren't getting along. It may help if you give some more detail.

Quick question: was that Sony 48X drive (I assume 48/12/48) also in the same computer as the TDK 52/24/48? If the same computer worked with the Sony drive, it should work with the TDK drive. Be sure that the TDK drive is hooked up properly. You may have another hardware problem in the system causing the TDK drive problem, i.e. a faulty IDE cable. You no doubt have DMA enabled on the TDK drive, don't you? From what I can tell, this problem has nothing to do with DMA, but you should make sure anyway. If you have tried all of these things, that's fine--I don't know what you've tried and I'm just trying to throw some suggestions at you.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

thanks guys.

Postby thongie on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:35 am

you know the weird thing is the tdk's are on sale, and when i exchanged the tdk cdrw, i noticed that there are at least another 6 open boxes that were also returns at best buy from other people....

but i fix my problem, i guess nero is a bad burn. but i tried other burnt cds and it works fine. The tech guy at best buy said that adaptec gives a better burn the nero.
"It is not wise to dive in shallow water"
thongie
Buffer Underrun

Re: thanks guys.

Postby tlotz on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:48 am

thongie wrote:you know the weird thing is the tdk's are on sale, and when i exchanged the tdk cdrw, i noticed that there are at least another 6 open boxes that were also returns at best buy from other people....

but i fix my problem, i guess nero is a bad burn. but i tried other burnt cds and it works fine. The tech guy at best buy said that adaptec gives a better burn the nero.

Great, well, I'm glad you got the problem fixed. Best Buy tech people know nothing--don't listen to them. Nero is much better than Roxio Easy CD Creator, period. As you found out, coasters (also known as bad burn)are sometimes totally unreadable.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives