my SONy Crx210E1 drive?
If it's needed I'm going to flash it to lite-On 48x/24/48

10x
Celeron@400Mhz ; MB Acorp 6via85p; RAM 128Pc100;

Have fun!!!
BBB
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:34 pm

what software are you using? In Nero it's available in the in CD-Recorder options. There's a little button you have to press in order to find the advanced features though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Which software are you using?

Postby pranav81 on Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:42 pm

Dear BBB,
You can turn off that feature in Nero under Recorder->Choose Recorder->Options.
If you are using Roxio EZCD 5 then you can enable or disable the feature before you press the burn button.
By the way,why do you want to turn off that feature?It will help you to burn the CD's error free.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:20 pm

I wouldn't personally try to burn something with SmartBURN turned off. The result was a coaster.

It's even a bigger consideration if you're still using a Celeron 400.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:36 am

Sometime's you have toi burn a coaster to prove a point. For instance, I have to turn off SMART-Burn in order to attempt burning some Princo 48x CD-Rs at 48x, otherwise it only let's me burn them at 40x (and even when attempting 40x the speed usually drops to 32x!!), but I needed to prove a point to some retail outlets so that they would take the hint about their media, so I disabled SMART-Burn for that. Some people also like testing to see how much a difference it really makes too.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:45 am

If I'm not mistaken, turning off SmartBURN turns off the buffer-underrun protection, which, as Action Jackson said, shouldn't be done on an older system.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:42 am

LiteOnGuy: Nope, SmartBurn is the part of the drive that automatically decides the maximum writing speed for different media, based on the quality of the media.

Burn-Proof (or Buffer Under RuN Proof) is what keeps the burner from making coasters when the data stream isn't fast enough.

I know, they named them WAY to similar!!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:50 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:LiteOnGuy: Nope, SmartBurn is the part of the drive that automatically decides the maximum writing speed for different media, based on the quality of the media.

Burn-Proof (or Buffer Under RuN Proof) is what keeps the burner from making coasters when the data stream isn't fast enough.

I know, they named them WAY to similar!!

I know the older Lite-Ons had Burn-Proof, but I thought that SmartBurn was the name for Lite-On's buffer-underrun protection and media quality check combined in the newer ones. :oops:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:11 am

Burn-Proof is a Sanyo technology and trademark. This is the buffer underrun protection used by Plextor.

LiteOn has not widely promoted a name for buffer underrun protection like some manufacturers, but uses the generic "Buffer Underrun Free" features nomenclature.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:46 am

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Inertia.

I do remember some of the older Lite-Ons (like my 12101B) actually had Sanyo chipsets with Burn-Proof.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives