Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Really desperate 4 Princo brand Cdr's in Toronto (Canada)

Burn baby burn!

Really desperate 4 Princo brand Cdr's in Toronto (Canada)

Postby sammy1212 on Thu May 01, 2003 1:34 pm

I'm sure this has been disscussed at length, but does anyone know of a retail store in Toronto that carry Princo CDR's? Yes I have an old Sony DVP-S300 that is very picky about CDR's.
Princo are the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players.

Can anyone verify if Giga Storage or what other CDR brands work in older Sonys?

I found these:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... ewdeptid=1

Anyone know if they will work?

Thanks in Advance :lol:
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Re: Really desperate 4 Princo brand Cdr's in Toronto (Canada

Postby dodecahedron on Thu May 01, 2003 1:54 pm

sammy1212 wrote:Yes I have an old Sony DVP-S300 that is very picky about CDR's.
Princo are the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players.

check out:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php? ... &#comments
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby sammy1212 on Thu May 01, 2003 2:14 pm

Yeah, I tried there already. Most comments are inconclusive or conflicting. I thought someone here might be able to give me a diffinative "final answer" on what Cdr's work with older Sony's. Princo's name keeps coming up, but I don't know where to get them here.
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu May 01, 2003 3:34 pm

you're right about the conflicting reports (i read through a bit...)
i guess you just have to experiment yourself.

i've got the Sony DVP-S725D. i only tested a couple of Audio CDs, cause i'm not into VCDs/SVCDs etc, (no braodband so no d/l of films etc.) yet anyway.
well, one TDK CDR i tried long ago didn't work. don't even know the manufacturer/speed.
however i did get it to work with a Verbatim DataLifePlus CDRW, i think it was a HighSpeed 10x one.
AFAIK many of the older DVD players don't work well with CDRs but do work (sometimes at least) with CDRWs. give it a try.

from what i've heard of Princo, they're very compatible with old DVD players like ours, but they're terrible quality, start peeling after a few months etc...so that's not much of a solution either (not that i know how/where to get them either...)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby sammy1212 on Thu May 01, 2003 6:01 pm

Princo are the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players .

Answered my own question. I found some "Cursor" branded CDR's that I had burned (Cursor is made by GigaStorage). I can verify that they Do Not Work (at least in my Sony DVP-S300). Digital Research 1-4x CDRW's do not work either. I'll try the Verbatim.
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Fri May 02, 2003 12:17 am

Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby sammy1212 on Fri May 02, 2003 9:59 am

Action Jackson wrote:http://www.canadacomputers.com/optical.html

Nice!! I had that site bookmarked & actually bought a computer from them once. Why didn't I think of them? :oops:
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Postby jase on Fri May 02, 2003 10:12 am

For reference, the following brands work well with older DVD players...

Princo
Postech
Gigastorage (but only 12x and below; for 24x the dye formulation was changed completely)
Vivastar/Doremi

Of these, Princo were stopped from producing media last year by Philips for non-payment of royalties; Vivastar went bust; Korean parent company Doremi pulled out of the market; Gigastorage has been bought by Ritek.

Postech still manufacture the same type of media; the Aopen 48x drive comes with such a disc. I still do occasionally see discs by this company. They aren't supposed to be imported anymore -- Philips put a stop to this company as well -- but I have seen some leak through.

Some high quality CDRWs will also work. I used to use Memorex discs (ATIP was Plasmon so it could be any manufacturer!) and if burned at low speeds these are just fine.

Oh, and one other thing. Your drive has a lot to do with compatibility of these types of discs. Plextors, TEACs and Yamahas come into their own here. A Plextor 8x for example can produce compatible discs at 8x with standard Ritek type 1 (H) media. LiteOns don't. Might be worth considering.
Last edited by jase on Fri May 02, 2003 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 02, 2003 10:15 am

jase: Where did you hear about Ritek taking over Gigastorage?? can you quote a news article?? I find this VERY interesting!!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri May 02, 2003 10:29 am

I can't actually find any info on it now (lol) but I was reading a press release from a UK distro the other day which stated that Gigastorage is now a Ritek subsidiary.

They could be telling porkies of course, and the fact that I'm having problems finding evidence to back this up would suggest it may in fact be wrong. Hmmmm.....
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri May 02, 2003 10:50 am

Apparently Gigastorage merged with Ritek in 2001:

http://www.taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20010 ... 712b6.html
jase
CD-RW Player

Just bad luck, I guess.....

Postby sammy1212 on Fri May 02, 2003 3:50 pm

Finally got the Princo CDRW's that are suppose to work in older Sony's, got all excited and ready to burn a vcd & My LG 8080B doesn't recognize the damn cd!!! I get this sweet message:

The recorder doesn't support this type of media
Please insert the correct media to write to

Any suggestions now?
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Postby jase on Fri May 02, 2003 5:54 pm

Different burner, or firmware update.

That's the problem with Princo media; in a quality sense it's sh*te.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby sammy1212 on Fri May 02, 2003 6:44 pm

jase wrote:Different burner, or firmware update.

Kind of ironic, don't you think?? The sh!ttest quality CD's are the ONLY ones that work in a top quality player! :roll:
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Postby BillyG on Fri May 02, 2003 6:44 pm

I dont know if this is helpful information or not - but I read somewhere that Lead Data (GQ Great Quality, Pro Media) CD-Rs work well for VCD in old DVD players.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri May 02, 2003 6:54 pm

sammy1212 wrote:
jase wrote:Different burner, or firmware update.

Kind of ironic, don't you think?? The sh!ttest quality CD's are the ONLY ones that work in a top quality player! :roll:

Totally ;)

Problem is I wouldn't suggest buying a new burner for the sake of this. New DVD player? lol. Try burning at a very low speed, say 4x.

BillyG's suggestion is worth checking out if you can get hold of some Lead-Data media. It's also sh*thouse but if needs must...
jase
CD-RW Player

Re: Just bad luck, I guess.....

Postby Action Jackson on Sat May 03, 2003 10:25 am

sammy1212 wrote:Finally got the Princo CDRW's that are suppose to work in older Sony's, got all excited and ready to burn a vcd & My LG 8080B doesn't recognize the damn cd!!!

Any suggestions now?

You wanted Princo CDRW's? I thought you wanted CDR's? The few pieces of Princo CDRW's I bought there were "less than optimal quality".

Honestly the "Generic" 700mb CDRW's CC sells is better quality than those Princo's.

There's also AOpen 700mb CDRW's that have never given me any problems for audio or data.

I think CC sells them and PC Village.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat May 03, 2003 9:13 pm

Princo CD-RWs are the WORST CD-RWs I've EVER encountered! The AOpen CD-RWs are quite good, they are made by Ritek, or at least the AOpen 4-12x CD-RW I have is made by Ritek. Also, some Samsung CD-RWs are made by Ritek, and they are very good as well (mine is a 74min 4x-10x CD-RW)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Sun May 04, 2003 2:38 pm

dolphinius_rex & sammy1212:
Check your Private Messages here at CD-R Labs forums.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Re: Just bad luck, I guess.....

Postby sammy1212 on Sun May 04, 2003 3:24 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
You wanted Princo CDRW's? I thought you wanted CDR's? The few pieces of Princo CDRW's I bought there were "less than optimal quality".

Honestly the "Generic" 700mb CDRW's CC sells is better quality than those Princo's.

There's also AOpen 700mb CDRW's that have never given me any problems for audio or data.

I think CC sells them and PC Village.

Well, now I'm not really sure if it was Princo CDRW's or CDR's that are suppose to work in Sony's :roll: As for top quality media, I think I'd stick with my Sony's, but since top quality is Not what I need, Princo is what I'll try.
sammy1212
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives