Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Windows XP restarting by itself.

Anything else

Windows XP restarting by itself.

Postby dany0212 on Mon May 05, 2003 11:37 pm

I tried installing Norton SystemWorks 2002 on my Windows XP Pro the other day and right before CD started installing my Windows Xp crashed, it restared and I was able to install Norton SystemWorks after that.
After getting it installed I started getting same problem of Windows XP restarting, so I uninstalled SystemWorks and the crashes seemed to have gone away. I have Easy CD Creator installed on this PC tii

2002 SystemWorks supposed to work with Windows XP Pro. I even have it running on the other computer at home that is running Win XP Pro. Only major software difference between two PCs is that on my PC on which I get that crash I have Easy CD Creator 5.3.4

Anybody had any similar problems with Norton SystemWorks?

Thanks.
dany0212
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue May 06, 2003 1:00 am

Systemworks 2002 works fine on my XP Home SP-1 system.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Tue May 06, 2003 1:29 am

WinXP is configured by default to restart in the even of a fatal system error. When this happens, you may be without a clue as to what caused the crash. The automatic restart due to a fatal error can be disabled, allowing a blue screen error message to appear. The combination of the error message and Event Viewer log can help describe what is causing the conflict and perhaps lead to a solution.

See the article at Windows XP Restarts Unexpectedly or Restarts When You Shut Down the Computer for instructions on disabling the auto restart and how to use the Event Viewer.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dany0212 on Tue May 06, 2003 10:15 am

Yeah, I tried turning off the auto restart in the even of failure. It gave me the blue screen and there was nothing really that would tell me what causing it. I also looked at the Even Viewer and there was a system dump when this crash occured, but again no usefull info why it occured.
It only seems to crash when I have 2002 SystemWorks installed on the computer.

Very first time I saw this crash was when I was trying to install 2001 Norton AntiVirus. I know this is not compatibale with XP, but before it gave me the message that is not compatibale it crashed the computer. I aborted the install process after that message.

After that I installed 2002 SystemWorks and start getting similar crashes as well. I did System Restore to the date prior to me trying to install 2001 Norton AntiVirus and 2002 SystemWorks and the system worked fine. No crashes. I then undid my Restore back and started getting crashes again. Then I uninstalled 2002 SystemWorks and computer was working fine again.

Very strange, I have 2002 SystemWorks running on my other Win XP Pro and it is working fine, never crashed.
dany0212
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue May 06, 2003 10:35 am

Do you have Service Pack 1 for Windows XP installed?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dany0212 on Tue May 06, 2003 2:08 pm

No I didn't install SP1 yet. I have all other updates from the Microsoft Update site. I will install the SP1 today and hopefully it will help.
dany0212
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Tue May 06, 2003 2:16 pm

I have Norton SystemWorks 2002 Professional with Windows XP Home. No problems observed prior to SP1 installation nor subsequent.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Tue May 06, 2003 3:39 pm

Take a look at WinXP & Norton and see if any of the listed articles fit your circumstances.

For instance, the article at Fatal System Error: 0x000000C4 If Deadlock Detection in Driver Verifier Is Turned on and Norton Antivirus Is Installed is one possible cause for system crashes.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby ChrisX on Mon May 19, 2003 9:48 pm

NAV2001, NAV2002 and Norton's SystemWorks 2002 Pro do tend to conflict WinXP SP1. I've experienced damage on a gateway computer which would require a clean re-install of the OS. The computer crashed so many times on start up and re-starts and then the damage occurs.

I do find a standard WinXP works fine even though originally NAV2001 as incompatible with WinXP. I was originally using the factory OEM version of NAV2002 and installed NAV2001. The problem I experienced last year was with the registry, the network settings and network access became impossible with the NAV2001.

I tried everything including the network wizard and the computer's restored feature. Nothing worked and the only way was to uninstall Norton's NAV 2001 and to un-install WinXP SP1 as well.

Once back to the orginal WinXP, the network was still out of action. I then re-installed the WinXP SP1 again and the network came back to normal, the re-installation restored the registry files and the system files as well. Without NAV was fine. I was without the anti-virus for some days until a solution was found later.

The system wasn't as it was on standard WinXP, so I re-formatted the computer and re-installed the OS to Win2000. No more problems ever since using Norton's firewall and anti-virus.

I was thinking recently about this problem, this may have got something to do Microsoft's firewall causing the conflict and crashes. Could be the revert from NAV2002 to NAV2001? I even tried NAV2003, again the same criticial crashes. My advice is don't use Microsoft's firewall with any of Norton's programs.

I really don't know exactly what caused it and did anyone experienced this kind of problems above?
ChrisX
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue May 20, 2003 1:08 am

NAV 2001 is officially incompatible with Windows XP. I own two Windows XP Home SP1 PCs; one OEM (Gateway) and one retail. I have Norton Systemworks 2002 (with AntiVirus) on the retail OS and Norton AntiVirus 2002 OEM on the OEM OS, and neither has problems.

Edit: Reverting to an old version of a program can be problematic, too.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby ChrisX on Wed May 28, 2003 3:22 am

Chriscjgs wrote:NAV2001, NAV2002 and Norton's SystemWorks 2002 Pro do tend to conflict WinXP SP1. I've experienced damage on a gateway computer which would require a clean re-install of the OS. The computer crashed so many times on start up and re-starts and then the damage occurs.

I do find a standard WinXP works fine even though originally NAV2001 as incompatible with WinXP. I was originally using the factory OEM version of NAV2002 and installed NAV2001. The problem I experienced last year was with the registry, the network settings and network access became impossible with the NAV2001.

There is a news report of a WinXP update glitch which is very similar to what I experienced last year. See above. I also did experienced network Internet sharing as affected as well.

For some reason, the Symantec anti-virus and firewall software does conflict with Microsoft’s updates. Internet and network access becomes impossible and irreversible damage can occur in the network settings. :(

Microsoft has done something in this WinXP SP1 update and for this one happening now. Check out:
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag ... 06,00.html

In this new case, a removal of the new update is the only way to restore Internet and network connectivity. In my case last year, the glitch was so severe which required a re-installation of the OS. Finally, a clean re-format and re-installation fixed it all. :cry:

I wouldn't use Microsoft's firewall at all in WinXP as this would complicate the network with Symantec products. The firewall is fine on its own without Symantec.
ChrisX
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions