Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Who makes Cendyne 52x CD-RWs ?

Burn baby burn!

Postby rdgrimes on Thu May 08, 2003 12:15 pm

rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby k000 on Thu May 08, 2003 5:26 pm

Thanks for the links. Very informative.

So, what I understand about the C1 errors is that they are mainly the media errors, and not the CD-RW errors.

It just might be that the Asus is 'catching and displaying' more of the C1 errors than other drives. Right ?
k000
Buffer Underrun

Postby rdgrimes on Thu May 08, 2003 6:31 pm

It just might be that the Asus is 'catching and displaying' more of the C1 errors than other drives. Right ?

The ASUS doesn't report C1, at least not in any of the scanning ware that we have. The C1 in that thread are being read in another (LiteOn) drive. It's indicitave of a lower quality burn, but is not scientific evidence.
Read errors are just that. They do not physically reside on a disc, but are the result of the interaction between the disc and the reader. A poorly burned disc will read increased error levels, and so will a crappy drive. A "good" reader is one that reports fewer errors on any given disc, a "good" disc will show fewer errors on any given reader. The variables inherent in the creation of a "good" disc scan are: media, burn speed, burning drive, reading drive and reading speed. Changing any of those variables changes the result of the scan. Even the same disc will show differing error rates in the same drive in multiple scans. So you can do A-B comparisons by changing any one of those variables and keeping the others constant. hope this helps.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu May 08, 2003 7:40 pm

Well said, rdgrimes.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Thu May 08, 2003 7:51 pm

I think the botom of all this is:
If the LiteOn is a "10", the ASUS is a "8" in terms of quality. It has other positive features like DAE at full speed and 2 sheep. I'll keep this one in my tower till the LiteOn 52327S shows up, then it's a paper weight. :D I've certainly got more expensive paper weights sitting around.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby k000 on Fri May 09, 2003 1:15 pm

Thanks rdgrimes.

Listeing to all the advice on this board as well as cdfreaks, I went to local OM store and picked up a Cendyne 52x, which is indeed an LTR one !

So, now my Asus will be returned back !

Thanks again, this was my one of first interactions on these forums, and I gained lot more knowledge than before.
k000
Buffer Underrun

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives