Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Acquiring Review Units

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Acquiring Review Units

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 08, 2003 2:29 am

How do you get review units of things like CD-RW drives, motherboards, software, etc? Do the companies just offer to give them out, or is there a special way to request them? Do the companies ask for them back, or do they only take them back if you want to give them back?

I was wondering because I thought it might be interesting to test drives and write some reviews of my own some day.

Thanks! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Thu May 08, 2003 11:26 pm

I have tried many times to get items to review for turkeyscore.com (Soon to be randomreview.com), but i have never had any success. I tried to get a sound card from Creative Labs, they responded, and yes you do have to return them for creative labs, or you can buy the product at a discounted rate. I have tried to get speakers, and software too. I usually get the answer "Sorry, but we have no units available for review at this time." Therefore, I went from trying to review computer products, to posting reviews on random stuff....Like: Cat treats vs Dog treats (which really does taste better), LAN party announcements, other stuff.
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri May 09, 2003 1:16 am

Thanks for your response, Turkeyscore. Have you ever tried to get things like HDDs or CD-RWs to review? Actually, I am working on a review right now (even though I don't have a web site yet, but I hope to set one up soon) of a CD-RW drive I got for "free" after rebates. :)

P.S. I have been to Turkeyscore.com, and the counter is higher, now! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CDRecorder on Fri May 09, 2003 1:20 am

[off topic]I also liked the 15" monitor "review" at your site![/off topic]
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Fri May 09, 2003 6:27 pm

you say you wrote a review for a Cd burner? If you want, you can send it to me for my website, and I can advertise your future website on mine & vice versa.... :wink:
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 10, 2003 12:51 am

Thanks for your offer! I'm still working on my review, but I may send it to you if I don't get my web site up and running soon. Thanks again! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 12, 2003 11:08 am

Hey Turkeyscore.com,

Would you agree to the same deal with me? I run my own CD-R/W media review website, and I'd love to swap links with you!

btw: it appears your "other peripherals" link is broken :(

my webpage is www.digitaldolphin.netfirms.com and I too have had no luck in getting free things to review, so I buy media in the hopes of eventually getting support from the manufacturers or the major brands
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon May 12, 2003 12:05 pm

I think dolphinius_rex's approach may be the only viable one. I doubt that too many manufacturers will be willing to loan test units until one earns a reputation for conducting reliable, trustworthy, quality reviews, establishes a position of authority on the subject matter, and acquires a sufficiently broad audience. Therefore, you probably need to start small, reviewing items you buy yourself or borrow from friends, and bootstrap your way up.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 12, 2003 12:15 pm

I'm guessing it has something to do with viewership as well. If I have a website that pulls in 100 hits a week, or a month, then there isn't any chance of getting test unts from companies. It wouldn't be worth their shipping costs.

That one of the reasons I try to take part on these type of forums. I take time to learn about my target audience, collect possible viewers for my site, and of course gain and dispence knowledge!

I find the hardest part about writing a review is walking a fine line between being professional about it, and being personal with it. Sometimes, when I am reviewing really crappy media, I have to try really REALLY hard not to get sarcastic! LOL!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon May 12, 2003 2:27 pm

Thanks Cfitz and Dolphinius_rex. I did buy the drive I'm currently working on. I guess that makes sense that the companies probably don't want to send review units to sites that don't get very many hits or to sites that do poor quality reviews.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Ian on Mon May 12, 2003 2:52 pm

Some companies don't like to send you drives if your reviews are too in depth. Especially if you find flaws in their products. :wink:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon May 12, 2003 3:17 pm

Yeah, I would be willing to trade links with you dolphinius_rex. Turkeyscore.com is going down probably tonight and being replaced with randomreview.com. I'll also change my name to randomreview.com. :D
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Mon May 12, 2003 5:40 pm

Ian wrote:Some companies don't like to send you drives if your reviews are too in depth. Especially if you find flaws in their products. :wink:

All you have to do is explain how those features rock and you really don't want it the other way.

"who cares about perfect DAE? It's good enough!"
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 12, 2003 7:31 pm

good one Boone! I like it! :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon May 12, 2003 11:48 pm

Boone wrote:"who cares about perfect DAE? It's good enough!"

LOL! :lol:

Good one!
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby chiphead on Thu May 29, 2003 5:21 pm

cfitz wrote:I think dolphinius_rex's approach may be the only viable one. I doubt that too many manufacturers will be willing to loan test units until one earns a reputation for conducting reliable, trustworthy, quality reviews, establishes a position of authority on the subject matter, and acquires a sufficiently broad audience. Therefore, you probably need to start small, reviewing items you buy yourself or borrow from friends, and bootstrap your way up.

cfitz

That's exactly how Anandtech got started. Start small and soon you will be driving a Ferarri to high school. Good luck!
chiphead
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 29, 2003 9:15 pm

That's incredible that this is how Anandtech got started!

I haven't had time to get my site up yet, but sometime soon, hopefully! :)
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to The Beer Garden