Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CDRLabs University - Internet Writing Guide 101

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

CDRLabs University - Internet Writing Guide 101

Postby Inertia on Mon May 12, 2003 6:03 pm

As courses in CDRLabs University are suggested by Ian in This Thread, I propose to make the core curriculum the Internet Writing Guide. Maybe we could suggest that people read this first in the Forum Rules.

Of course, there are many young people who would like to substitute their own version of spelling the English language. This is an old tradition. Even Mark Twain had his own suggested spelling changes:

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Quite an improvement, wouldn't you agree. :lol: (irony - for the obtuse)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon May 12, 2003 6:26 pm

I agri xis meiks greit senz.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby burninfool on Mon May 12, 2003 9:06 pm

How about an intelligence test before someone can become a member,to weed out topics such as"Total noob needs help" or "How come my computer doesn't work".
:wink:
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon May 12, 2003 10:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with being a newbie, but people should do some research and self-help before asking questions. They will learn more that way, and not repeat questions that have been asked over and over. And now that search seems to be back up to snuff, there is no longer any excuse for not doing some research for oneself. :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 12, 2003 11:36 pm

the informed must always be patient with the people still learning; There isn't even one of us here that was born with the knowledge we have :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue May 13, 2003 12:10 am

I think some of you are missing the point here. I was poking fun at babyloc86's use of "leet speak" in his thread, not his lack of knowledge.

While this is an Internet forum, its not some AOL chatroom. If you're going to ask a question, make it easy on those trying to help and use good grammar and don't spell like some wanna be "h@x0r". As it is, I have a hard enough time understanding some of the questions from the non-English speakers.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Inertia on Tue May 13, 2003 12:36 am

Ah, shucks, Ian. I was about to make a sarcastic comment about platitudes, but your post broke my concentration. 8)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Tue May 13, 2003 12:39 am

I c wut u are sayin, but i don't agree. just cuz some1 needs only 2 fingerz to type it don't mean u can make fun of him. b4 you criticize, use ur brain.

peece

bOOnE
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Tue May 13, 2003 1:08 am

evn f sum1 typs w nos r tos, thy cn stl lrn ta spl r uza spl chkr & mk n ffort a gd gramma. :wink:

Dunt mk fon ome. :evil:

btw dz ne1 spk Klingon? :lol:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden