Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW spindles at Best Buy

Burn baby burn!

Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW spindles at Best Buy

Postby tlotz on Sat May 31, 2003 2:17 am

Tonight I was in Best Buy and saw Verbatim DataLifePlus Ultra Speed 16x-24x 74 min 650 MB CD-RW discs in a 25-disc spindle. The price was $29.99. These discs are made in the Taiwan Mitsubishi Chemical factory. Go to the URL:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=112 ... 6&scat=517

and see the big picture from that URL:

Best Buy does not carry these discs in the *standard* 1, 5, and 10-pack slim jewel case packages. I must admit that unless you use Ultra Speed CD-RW discs for backup, why would you want 25 of them? I figure that most people will wish to stick with the 5 or 10-pack jewel case packages except for those who use lots of CD-RW discs! This is the first time that a retail store that most people in the U.S. have has carried Verbatim DataLifePlus Ultra Speed CD-RW discs (in a spindle). Microcenter retail stores (and their website) have Verbatim DataLifePlus Ultra Speed discs in 5 and 10-packs, and these jewel cased Verbatim Ultra Speed discs can be bought at many places online. So Best Buy carrying the Verbatim US-RW discs helps make these discs more available to people seeking good quality Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. Best Buy no longer carries the horrible Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW discs--it didn't take Best Buy too long to figure out that the Memorex US-RW discs are total trash.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 31, 2003 2:36 am

Wow! I think that's a far better deal per disc on these discs than I have seen before. Thank you, tlotz! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby tlotz on Sat May 31, 2003 3:29 am

LiteOnGuy wrote:Wow! I think that's a far better deal per disc on these discs than I have seen before. Thank you, tlotz! :D

No problem--I thought it would be good to get the word out that Best Buy is now selling quality Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. By the way, that is not the best deal I've seen on the Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. Check out the following Buy.com link:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... =0&loc=101

$10.96 for a 10-pack of the same discs with slim jewel cases. Since the shipping is *free*, you don't have to add shipping, so that's $1.10 per disc. The Best Buy deal I posted above is $1.20 per disc, and that's not counting sales tax (or shipping if you buy from BestBuy.com). Still, the Best Buy deal is great and will allow many people who do not like to buy products online a way to get the high quality Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW discs at a great price (per disc). Also, Best Buy has a very liberal return policy--they'll take anything back (with certain exceptions) so if for some reason the Verbatim US-RW discs don't work out, you can return them to the store (even if they are opened) for a full refund if you are within the 30 days. The return process is never that easy online.

P.S. One clarification: the Verbatim US-RW cakebox spindles I saw tonight were all made in Taiwan. That doesn't mean that all such cakebox spindles at Best Buy are made in Taiwan, since Mitsubishi Chemical makes the Verbatim US-RW discs at multiple factories. Don't let the "Made in Taiwan" on the spindle discourage you--the quality is still good.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives