Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Music Equipment

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Music Equipment

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:19 pm

...new subject from How many computers do you own?

Anyone here play music and into home recording? Any feedback and experiences will be appreciated. I'm going to purchase my interface card in about 2 weeks or so. I'm leaning towards the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Wiz:
I don't have pedals anymore...got rid of them. I wish I didn't! I had mediocre pieces, but they did their job. I had:
Digitech Digital Delay
Digitech Compressor/Sustainer
Digitech Equalizer
ProCo Rat Distortion
MXR Overdrive
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:06 am

I don't exactly have good equipment to record at home, but I do play the guitar, bass, and drums. Oh, I have a keyboard too, but I'm a novice at it.

I should pick up my guitar again, I haven't played it in a looooong time. Lately, my drums have been getting the bulk of my attention. Eventually, I'd like to buy a nifty multi-effects pedal, but I haven't checked out the market in a while so I have no idea what's good. Years ago I was looking at the ART multi-effects pedals, but they are most likely old technology by now.

Here is a list of the equipment I have:

- Yamaha Electric (model unknown)
- Yamaha Acoustic FG-401
- 1979 Gibson R.D. Artist Bass Guitar (from the year I was born, although I haven't owned it since '79 :wink:)
- Crate GX-15
- Trace Elliot Series 6 GP7
- Tama Rockstar Drum Set with all Tama Hardware except the throne which is a Gibraltar Motorcycle Seat
- Zildjian Cymbals: Crappy Scimitar Bronze Hi-Hat & Crash, but a nice A Custom Ride
- Casio LK-30 Keyboard
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:50 am

TheWizard wrote:I don't exactly have good equipment to record at home, but I do play the guitar, bass, and drums. Oh, I have a keyboard too, but I'm a novice at it.

I should pick up my guitar again, I haven't played it in a looooong time. Lately, my drums have been getting the bulk of my attention. Eventually, I'd like to buy a nifty multi-effects pedal, but I haven't checked out the market in a while so I have no idea what's good. Years ago I was looking at the ART multi-effects pedals, but they are most likely old technology by now.

Here is a list of the equipment I have:

- Yamaha Electric (model unknown)
- Yamaha Acoustic FG-401
- 1979 Gibson R.D. Artist Bass Guitar (from the year I was born, although I haven't owned it since '79 :wink:)
- Crate GX-15
- Trace Elliot Series 6 GP7
- Tama Rockstar Drum Set with all Tama Hardware except the throne which is a Gibraltar Motorcycle Seat
- Zildjian Cymbals: Crappy Scimitar Bronze Hi-Hat & Crash, but a nice A Custom Ride
- Casio LK-30 Keyboard

Damn! Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good lot of gear! I'll eventually get a bass...more than likely a 5 string. I'm sure I'll get a Bass Pod Pro to go with it. Line 6 is awesome. I absolutely love their stuff. Like you, I've been out of the market when it comes to the latest and greatest. I heard about Line 6 a long time ago, but never bothered to find out what they were about. I just happened to see it when I was browsing around at a music store with the intentions of checking out a Triple Rectifier. Line 6 rocks!

Funny you mentioned ART. I too wanted to try their stuff, but never had the chance to. They're still around, and seem to have some pretty good pieces. I'm not shopping around for the effects stuff, so I'll probably never get to mess with their stuff.

I like Crate amps, and I used to have one back in the day. They were great in the sense of being able to get that particular driven sound without having to drive it, if you know what I mean. Their solid state stuff is impressive. I'd like to hear the Red and Blue VooDoo amps.

What's your opinion of the Yamaha Guitar? I'd like to try one. I know that Miguel Rason from Coal Chamber uses them. I think Blues Saraceno does as well.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:03 am

F1Pilot wrote:Damn! Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good lot of gear!

It's OK, no really, nothing special. My best piece of electrical equipment is the Trace Elliot amp. The Crate is a small 15-watt amp, nothing spectacular. The drum set is nice...expensive too!

F1Pilot wrote:I'll eventually get a bass...more than likely a 5 string. I'm sure I'll get a Bass Pod Pro to go with it.

Any reason for a 5-string in particular?

F1Pilot wrote:Line 6 is awesome. I absolutely love their stuff. Like you, I've been out of the market when it comes to the latest and greatest. I heard about Line 6 a long time ago, but never bothered to find out what they were about. I just happened to see it when I was browsing around at a music store with the intentions of checking out a Triple Rectifier. Line 6 rocks!

I never tried Line 6, but I've heard good stuff about them...and not just from you. :) If I recall, they are a little on the expensive side, which kind of puts them out of range for me.

F1Pilot wrote:What's your opinion of the Yamaha Guitar? I'd like to try one. I know that Miguel Rason from Coal Chamber uses them. I think Blues Saraceno does as well.

My Yamaha electric is crap. If it was any good, it would have the model name/number on the guitar somewhere. :P I've heard and played much better guitars than the Yamaha. I'm a sucker for Fender Strats, although not the cheap Korean ones, it must be American or Mexican made. Trust me, stick with your Ibanez, or better yet, get an Ibanez JS series. Joe Satriani is my hero; I want to lick his bald head. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:29 am

I can see it now...I like men & lick bald heads. :D LOL!

I want to get a 5 string bass to match the low end of the 7 string. It's just easier that way. I'll probably get an Ibanez K5.

I love Line 6 equipment, and as soon as they come up with a rack power amp, I'm getting rid of my 2:90. I've tried the Bass Pod Pro, and love the tone. The Vetta HD is absolutely killer. I'll get one of those in the future. You can find Line 6 stuff for reasonable prices. It's just a matter of searching and being lucky.

Hehehe! The Yamaha is that bad, eh? Damn. I mean, not that I was planning to get one or anything. I'd love to play one someday. I love Strats and Les Pauls, but would never own one. Just not my thing. While a Strat is fun as hell to play, it's not my tone. The Les Pauls have great tone, but are heavier than a dumpster.

You have any PC or MAC recording interfaces?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:28 am

It's not that my Yamaha is incredibly bad, it's just a beginners guitar, know what I mean? It's the same axe my parents bought me when I started learning the guitar almost 10 years ago. It's fine for a beginner, but lacks the playability and pizzazz of a higher level guitar player. I'm sure Yamaha makes better guitars, I just don't own one of them.

I know what you mean about Les Pauls being heavier than a dumpster. Some folks complain that the neck is as thick as a tree trunk. LP's aren't bad at all, but I like the feel and design of a Strat more. I should try more axes, but usually when going to a music store, the salespeople get pissed if all you do is ask to try out this guitar and that guitar without buying one. Of course, when I win the lottery, I will buy one of every guitar model made. :)

Nope, I have no nifty PC or MAC recording interfaces. Just to give you an idea, I used a cheap Radioshack microphone when I recorded myself playing the drums. Actually, my brother recorded, I played. The sound, as you can assume, isn't great. It's decent for a one mic job, but not nearly professional or anything. Again, when I win the lottery, I'll build my own recording studio and play all my guitars in it. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:53 pm

Yep. LPs are tanks if you ask me. Then again, you have a monster like Zakk Wylde flinging it around like it's nothing...with his chain link guitar strap. :o I'm not a fan of his southern rock style, but he absolutely rocked at Ozzfest.

Yeah...Yamaha...I dunno. I've owned Charvels, Jacksons, Ibanez, Kramer and Esp. Everything with the exception of Kramers were really solid guitars. Ibanez is the most playable for me. When I get all of my necessary gear, I'd like to pick up a John Petrucci 90th Anniversary model.

I hear you about trying out guitars. I'm lucky...I deal with one person at my local shop...cool guy. He actually suggests gear for me to try.

There are some decent cheap interfaces out there. You just need to have a box that can run it. The M-Audio Audiophile is a great deal for what I need. I'm drooling over the Alesis M1 Active monitors. Nice! :wink:

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby javier on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:01 am

Hi!

I play guitar too! And i also record at home! :)

Actually i use sampled drums (made with FruityLoops), because I don't own a drumset, but me and my friends record guitars and basses.

My gear actually kinda sucks :P

I own a CRAPPY Texas SP de Luxe guitar... wich... i mean.... SUCK :-?

I have a Marshall VS30R amp wich is pretty cool. Though i have no pedal, so I have to bear with the amp's distortion (wich thanksfullu it's quite decent).

My friends have some great gear, the lead Guitarist of their band has the following gear:
- Jackson PS1 Japanese (all customized, with DiMarzios and stuff)
- Ibanez Starfield AMP
- Boss ME-30

I make my own songs and record them, and my friends have a band that sounds GREAT!

We manage to achieve a pretty decent sound with minimum gear, bad mics and an AC'97 souncard! :o

I have some songs online, so if you want to hear them, just tell me! :P
- debro -
[AMD rules]
javier
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:45 pm

Finally, someone else contributes to this thread! :) Welcome javier, sure, post the link of where we can download some of your band's songs. I, for one, am interested in listening.

My friends have some great gear, the lead Guitarist of their band has the following gear:
- Jackson PS1 Japanese (all customized, with DiMarzios and stuff)
- Ibanez Starfield AMP
- Boss ME-30

Isn't it amazing how envious we are of friends? I'm envious of my friend's band too, not so much for their equipment, but because they are mildly successful in the Northeastern United States. :) If you are interested in them, check out http://www.straighterthanpete.com
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby javier on Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:40 am

Yeah, my friends rule. I help them with the mixing and equalizing (their song i'm posting it's not finished equalizing yet)

http://usuarios.lycos.es/ecthelionmetal ... iamond.mp3 <-- this is a rough demo of what i do, i'm now in recording process of this song, a Stratovarius cover and another original.

http://storm.prohosting.com/arcomiks/Vortex.mp3 (disable download managers...) <-- this is a full song by my friends' band (right now called Vortex, but not definitive), it's a cover from a band called Sinergy

I hope you like the songs! :)
- debro -
[AMD rules]
javier
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:55 am

Ecthelion sounds very old school Metallica. It's good, even for a beta! Unfortunately, I had to click through to another site for the Vortex link and it never downloaded, and no, I don't have a download manager. I'll try it again later.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby javier on Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:01 am

Thanks! i'm glad you liked it! :D

That's weird... the link works fine with me, i'm able to download the song ok... I'll just try to upload the song along with the Ecthelion one... I'll let you know when i do so!
- debro -
[AMD rules]
javier
Buffer Underrun

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:26 pm

javier wrote:Yeah, my friends rule. I help them with the mixing and equalizing (their song i'm posting it's not finished equalizing yet)

http://usuarios.lycos.es/ecthelionmetal ... iamond.mp3 <-- this is a rough demo of what i do, i'm now in recording process of this song, a Stratovarius cover and another original.

http://storm.prohosting.com/arcomiks/Vortex.mp3 (disable download managers...) <-- this is a full song by my friends' band (right now called Vortex, but not definitive), it's a cover from a band called Sinergy

I hope you like the songs! :)

Nice tracks! Sounds really tight!

I think when it comes to gear, crappy equipment might limit you to a point. At the same time, I've heard people make equipment like Rogue sound sweet. :P
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden