Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Shutting Down PC but restarts instead

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Shutting Down PC but restarts instead

Postby MargeC on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:15 pm

I am running WinXP Home on a PC with a Gigabyte 7VAXP board with an AMD 2400+ processor 1G of RAM, 40G and 20G HD's. When I shut down after a fresh install it works but only for a few times, then it restarts instead.
I have changed all the hardware in an elimination process and cannot find the reason. The computer gurus are baffled and I seem to have a unique problem. I bought all the components the end of last September and they are all still under warranty. The place where I bought the stuff has had a go at it and are baffled. I need help!

Marge
MargeC
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:57 pm

Marge,

See the information at Windows XP Restarts Unexpectedly or Restarts When You Shut Down the Computer. Disabling the default "Automatically Restart" option per the instructions may allow a blue screen error message to confirm the problem causing the restart.

Also see the similar Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer for an example of a condition causing the restart.
Last edited by Inertia on Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:57 pm

Do you have a Hercules GameTheatreXP soundcard?

Part of this may be due to:
-something with the power management

-during shutdown, the system has to write something to the harddrive just before shutdown. Maybe the drive's cache isn't cleared out in time.

-did you install something recently that involved rebooting?

I really don't know since I don't use XP. Have you tried Microsoft's database? Or just do a Google search?
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Shutting down Pc but restarts instead.

Postby MargeC on Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:54 pm

I took the check out of 'restarts automatically' and it made no difference.
I don't have a Hercules GameTheaterXP soundcard. My Gigabyte board has onboard sound.
This is so bizarre but there must be a reason somewhere.

Marge
MargeC
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:45 pm

See the When I choose ''Shut Down'' from the Start Menu, my computer restarts instead of shutting down
thread at Windows XP Annoyances.

There are several new ideas there that worked for this problem, including changing the keyboard. Apparently WinXP has problems with some keyboards.

If you have OfficeXP, try disabling MSOffice.exe in Task Manager before shutdown. If this solves the problem remove it from the startup options.

Try updating the system BIOS. One user solved the problem this way when the update allowed recognition of his computer as an ACPI compliant machine, which it should have by default. This should cure APM related problems.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

PC restarting instead of shutting off

Postby MargeC on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:23 pm

Well, I d/l the latest drivers for my MS Intellimouse Optical and my MS Internet Keyboard Pro in hopes that this would fix the problem and it didn't.
This AM I went into the Bios setup and chose 'load fail safe defaults' and it's now shutting off.
But on startup it's now looking for something to do with Promise Technology and a Raid Controller. I'm sure there's a way in the Bios to get rid of this but at least it's shutting doan now.

Marge
MargeC
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:34 pm

Marge,

The "P" at the end of the Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard probably refers to a Promise RAID controller and two extra IDE slots built into the motherboard. Obviously, you are not using the RAID setup and may not be using the extra IDE slots as well.

The RAID controller may be enabled by default in the BIOS. Check in your BIOS manual to find the BIOS setting to disable the RAID controller. Once this is done, you should no longer receive the boot message looking for the Promise RAID controller.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Restarting instead of shutting down

Postby MargeC on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:31 pm

I've disabled the Raid once before for the same reason. Just went back there just now (under Integrated Peripherals) and I'd been looking at the line below that said ATA/RAID. I changed Enabled to Disabled and got it done.

Don't know if the Keyboard/Mouse thing had any effect but the computer is shutting off so won't question it.

The place where I bought all the stuff for this computer is quite large and wholesales as well. I even had it in over a month ago and they were baffled. All the stuff is on mfr.'s warranty so they didn't charge me, but they couldn't cure my problem either.

The day I bought everything last September, I got a 40G HD with some bad sectors, defective round cables and a defective AMD Palomino 1600+ processer. That was the start of my problem with the computer not shutting off. Maxtor sent me another HD, the store gave me a credit for the cables and I'm using the flat ones that came with the Gigabyte MBoard and I bought an AMD 2400+ Processer. I sorted out the bad stuff by the elimination process, a lot of work and some expense.

Anyway I'd like to thank you guys for all the help, I appreciate it.

Marge
MargeC
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion