Home News Reviews Forums Shop

rewrite speed with lg bce-8320b and roxio 5

Burn baby burn!

rewrite speed with lg bce-8320b and roxio 5

Postby staalburger on Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Hi

I have the lg gce-8320b 32x etc. burner. I have the problem that it won't re-write at speeds higher than 4x. It's supposed to re-write at 10x. The "cd drive properties" in Roxio also only gives it a write speed of 4x although it allows me to write at 32x. I am using the version of Roxio that came with the drive. I flashed the firmware to 1.4 (I think that is correct) without any evident problems and I also had the problem before that. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Shal I start with a re-flash of the drive or re-installation of Roxio?

Any advice would be appreciated.
staalburger
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:03 pm

Are you using 10x rated CD-RW media? What media are you using?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby staalburger on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:14 pm

[quote="cfitz"]Are you using 10x rated CD-RW media? What media are you using?

I am using Verbatum media rated at 16x to 24x. Is it normal for the drive properties to have incorrect information with regards to write speeds?
staalburger
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:19 pm

staalburger wrote:I am using Verbatum media rated at 16x to 24x.

That is probably the source of your problem. CD-RW media is much less forgiving of writing at non-rated speeds that CD-R media, including writing too fast or too slow. Get some 10x rated media and see how it goes. For example, Verbatim sells High Speed 4x-12x CD-RW media:

http://www.verbatim.com/products/produc ... pro_id=389
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... 55&loc=101

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby pranav81 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:03 am

Dear staalburger,
Hi.Try updating your Roxio EZCD with the latest patch on the Roxio's site.I think that would probably sort out your problem.
Also cfitz is correct(as always).Try using media rated to 12X.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby staalburger on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:24 am

Hi

Thanks for the advice thus far. The problem that I have now is that it won't burn the cd at all! I choose the 4x (that's all that it will allow me) and select disk-at-once. It seems that it will finish the Table of Contents and then nothing will happen. It will show you the time remaining and that is all. I do hear a noise from the cd-writer every 5 seconds or so. It is a high-pitched osund which sounds like the cd is being read but I don't get anything else.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me. I would hope that it's not broken since it's just about to go out of warranty and I barely burned 30 cd's with it.

Thanks
staalburger
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:30 am

Umm, did you bother to update Roxio EZ CD Creator and/or use CD-RW media rated 10X?
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:14 pm

stallburger:

You are attempting to use Ultra Speed (16x-24x) media on a burner which can handle only standard (1x-4x) media and High Speed (4x-12x) media.

I'm not sure if US media can damage your burner, but it won't work.

No software patch will allow you to use US media on your burner.

Just follow cfitz's advice and get some HS media.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby staalburger on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:52 am

Hi

I think it may have damaged my burner since I can't write anything anymore. The TDK cd-r disks that worked fine just a week ago won't work any more. I take it that I'll be screwed as soon as they stop making 4x-12x cd-rw media because of this information that you gave me?

Thanks for all the help.
staalburger
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:44 pm

If your burner is still in warranty, try to get it serviced.

I'm quite sure that 4x-12x CD-RW media will stay in the market for the next couple of years, so I wouldn't worry about this aspect.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:12 am

Just a note about servicing your LG burner, they were good to me when I had to send them my broken GCE-8320B. I never had a problem writing discs, as you are having, I had a problem reading discs. One day, I heard a jarring sound inside the drive, and after that it wouldn't recognize any type of disc: CD-R, CD-RW, pressed CD, etc. So, I contacted LG Customer Service, they arranged to pick up my drive via UPS 2-Day (no cost to me) and sent me a replacement drive a couple months later. Yes, the turn-around time was a bit longer than usual (8+ weeks), but I'm still pleased with how LG handled the matter. They were responsive, friendly, and they made the exchange easy.

You can visit their web site at http://www.lgservice.com or call their toll-free number 800-243-0000 between 8am and 6pm Central Time, Monday through Friday. In order to arrange a drive exchange, you'll need to call the 800 number.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives