Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best CD-RW ?

Burn baby burn!

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:36 pm

Screw it, I don't have to prove anything more. The results you posted are very good. The other results on your site at higher speeds even on higher rated media is terrible. The point is.

Lite-On is cheaper
Lite-On is better if you are on a budget
Lite-On comes with no, out of the ordinary features

Plex is more expensive
Plex is in 85% of cases, higher quality writing than others
Plex comes with many features that most drives do not have. Maybe you don't need those features, maybe you do.
Last edited by aviationwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:37 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:let's deal with the mistake first: STOP TESTING ON THE PLEXTOR, it doesn't return C2 errors as accuratly as the liteON, you may not like to admit this, but it is a fact.

why do you say that ?
fact ??? what proof do you have for that ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:43 pm

aviationwiz wrote:I'll do the burns on both drives, at 40x. I will burn on each drive, ONCE. I will also test on each drive, TWICE.

So it will be like this:

Burn on Plex-Test on Plex-Copy to other comp-Read on Lite
Burn on Lite-Test on Lite-Test on Plex

i don't understand what you mean by "Burn on Plex-Test on Plex-Copy to other comp-Read on Lite"

my suggestion:
burn on plex.
then remove plex from computer, replace it with the liteon in the same computer and burn the same cd.
then test both cds, either with plex/plextools or liteon/kprobe (or preferably both). doesn't really matter on which computer.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:48 pm

dodecahedron,

I edited my post. I decided that I do not need to prove anything more, and that the facts are pretty much laid out in black and white. Let the user pick what drive they want.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby eliminator on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:13 pm

I would go with none of the mentioned, but wait for the new Lite-On 52x32x52 :wink:
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:20 pm

eliminator wrote:I would go with none of the mentioned, but wait for the new Lite-On 52x32x52 :wink:

Heh, at least wait for Ian's review ;)
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:25 pm

You don't even know if the LTR-522327S is going to be any good. It's the Lite-On Reputation. So how is this different than how other people say Plex drives are good (me) and people say that they are not, and it is just thier reputation.

Well, they got thier reputation for good drives, by having good drives. So did Lite-On. I just think Plex is higher quality. Lite-On is much cheaper and better if you only care about price.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:29 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:let's deal with the mistake first: STOP TESTING ON THE PLEXTOR, it doesn't return C2 errors as accuratly as the liteON, you may not like to admit this, but it is a fact.

why do you say that ?
fact ??? what proof do you have for that ?

ok, I made a partial mistake there. Plextor returns C2 errors properly 80% of the time when using normal software, however when using Plextools the premium drive returns roughly 100% which is on par with the LiteONs... however this is only true for the Premium drive, not the previous models.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:34 pm

Well, why would someone use anything else other than Q-Check to check for C1/C2. Q-Check was made for the Premium.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:36 pm

There is only one right way, and that is my way. My favorite burner is the only quality burner, and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong, wrong, wrong.

This whole thread doesn't make any sense to me. Now if we substitute "Chevy" for "Plextor" and "Ford/Dodge" for "LiteOn", I could deal with it.
:roll:

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:41 pm

CowboySlim Wrote
This whole thread doesn't make any sense to me.

Just imagin how confused Tarkules might get after reading this thread.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:43 pm

CowboySlim wrote:
There is only one right way, and that is my way. My favorite burner is the only quality burner, and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong, wrong, wrong.

This whole thread doesn't make any sense to me. Now if we substitute "Chevy" for "Plextor" and "Ford/Dodge" for "LiteOn", I could deal with it.
:roll:

Slim

I'm a chevy guy and a Lite-ON guy :D
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:21 am

aviationwiz wrote:You don't even know if the LTR-522327S is going to be any good. It's the Lite-On Reputation. So how is this different than how other people say Plex drives are good (me) and people say that they are not, and it is just thier reputation.

Well, they got thier reputation for good drives, by having good drives. So did Lite-On. I just think Plex is higher quality. Lite-On is much cheaper and better if you only care about price.

1) I know I'll get the Lite-On.

2) Lite-On is just a good deal for the money. :wink:
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:30 am

actually, I've seen some scans that were done with the new LiteON drive, and I can only assume they were probably burned with the new liteON drive too :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:30 am

David wrote:CowboySlim Wrote
This whole thread doesn't make any sense to me.

Just imagin how confused Tarkules might get after reading this thread.

Yes, poor Tarkules. Tarkules, since you started this erudite discourse, if you are confused by this thread may I suggest that your read Best CD writer as of now? which covered the same topic.

If you had looked down a few topics, you would have found it in yesterday's posts. There is nothing like being redundant, unless it is excessive, extra, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, or surplus. 8)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:00 am

ok, I got my friend to burn a CD-R for me on his Plextor, and I burned a CD-R on my LiteON and tested them both, The results of the tests are here:

http://digitaldolphin.netfirms.com/Poin ... gthis.html

Interpret the results as you will.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:42 am

Did the Plextor score better? yes.
Is it worth 3x the cost of the LiteON? No

Maybe to you it is not worth the extra money. But to others it is. I am one of those others. BTW, It's only more like twice as much.

I also like the GigaRec and VariRec Features. That's just my opinion.

Want to call a truce dolphinius_rex?

A cease-fire if you will.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby tlotz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:48 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:ok, I got my friend to burn a CD-R for me on his Plextor, and I burned a CD-R on my LiteON and tested them both, The results of the tests are here:

If anyone gets a chance to do this, I would love to see a comparison in write quality between the Plextor Premium and the Liteon LTR-52246S. Unfortunately, a comparison between the Plextor 16/10/40A and the Liteon LTR-48125W is not too interesting (at least to me) because both drives are old models. The difference in write quality in your test was ridiculously small--but the Plextor 1610A won it. There was no significant difference in write quality at all--which means if competing Liteon/Plextor drives produce similar test results, the Liteon will certainly be the better buy.

As many people who post to this forum know, I had 3 Plextor 48/24/48A drives and they all failed me, so I ditched the Plextor 48X drive and got a TDK 5200B (rebadged Liteon LTR-52246S). I was able to compare the write quality of Taiyo Yuden CD-R discs burned at 48X on my original Plextor 48X drive with the same discs burned at the same 48X speed on my Liteon LTR-52246S. Since I didn't have both drives at the same time, I was not able to do a proper 100% scientific test--the images burned were different sizes (both images were slightly less than 74 minutes). Both discs were tested on my Liteon 52246S using CD Doctor (this was before KProbe came out). What I found was that my Liteon had slightly better quality, but that there was no significant difference at all. If I had a Plextor Premium drive, I'd do an exact test and post the results, but I don't.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:49 am

sure, as the URL illudes, I'm getting pretty tired or the argument.

truce. :)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby tlotz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:53 am

@dolphinius_rex:

Forgot to say this: thanks for taking the time to make that comparison. Your time is appreciated.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:08 am

Inertia wrote:There is nothing like being redundant, unless it is excessive, extra, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, or surplus. 8)

OK, supernumerary was new to me :D :wink:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:15 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:ok, I got my friend to burn a CD-R for me on his Plextor, and I burned a CD-R on my LiteON and tested them both, The results of the tests are here:

like the name of the page, dolphin! :P

OK, score 1 to plextor.

but not really, this is old media, probably not easy to come by and not used by many.
would be much more interesting to see such comparisons for newer media.

but going off topic somewhat, the differences between the two discs are very small!
i would like to see a similar test but not of LiteOn vs. Plextor, but of 2 identical drives!, say 2 LiteOns 52246Ss with the same firmware. i wonder what difference in performance we would see...it's quite possible that the difference we'll see is about the same as between the Plex and LiteON in dolphin's page...
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:48 am

dodecahedron: Well, I chose media that had generally good results, I could have choosen some 48x CMC media if you had wanted :wink:

And yes, there is about that much deviation between drives, and between media burns. You can see on my review for the Yamaha CD-Rs that the 3 CD-Rs I burned at the certified speed all deviated by about the same amount.

I think just in general that burner quality has increased significantly in the last year or so. If I had pitted a 16x LiteON burner against the 16x plextor, I have NO doubt that the plextor would have won hands down. Plextor and Yamaha were awsome manufacturers because they had the burn quality before anyone else, it's just that most manufacturers have caught up now (with a few still trailing). Yamaha tried to stay on top by branching out to cool features like Disc T@2, but in the end dropped the CD-RW line claiming they didn't believe they could continue increasing speeds on their drives while retaining the quality assisciated with their name. Personally, I think they just realised that they didn't have quite the monopoly on quality anymore, and they wanted to get a headstart on DVD Burners. Plextor also has gone the way of extra gimicks to keep them on top, such as Gigarecord, and Securecord. I'm SURE securecord will be big amongst the busineses! It *IS* a funky feature, and I'm glad Plextor released software to allow other drives to read the securecord burned discs. Gigarecord however is a little less cool, since it is not very compatible, and doesn't work effectively on 90min or 99min CD-Rs (which would have made it BLOODY AWESOME in my opinion). However, Plextor DID finally manage to figure out how to properly handle overburning up to 99min, so you can still make a nice compatible 99min CD-R if you want.

I'm expecting Plextor to bow out of the CD Writer market soon, simply since they have no where left to go. They can't compete price wise with the "regular" burners, and they can't increase their speeds any further really. Let's face it, there isn't even any 32x CD-RWs being made yet, and 24x CD-RWs are still tough to find!

Let's hope both Yamaha and Plextor work hard on ther DVD burners, since so far NEC's ND-1100A is supposedly the highest quality DVD Writer on the market so far! (With the LG GMA 4020B close behind).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:06 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I think just in general that burner quality has increased significantly in the last year or so.

For what it is worth, the two results showing C1 averages of ~0.2-0.7 that I jokingly posted earlier in this thread were burned on a 4+ year old 2x2x6 Memorex burner. I can't remember who made the actual mechanism. Maybe Philips? Anyway, despite the age (or perhaps because of it and the concomitant 2x writing speed), the burner did and does produce just as good a quality as the top-of-line Plextor Premium.

The TY disc was burned just a few weeks ago on 24x rated media. The RiTEK disc was burned three years ago on media whose speed rating I no longer recall. It is good to see that the disc is still holding up quite well. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:42 pm

sadly that is MUCH better burn quality then I ever got out of my late Yamaha 4x4x16x :(

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives