Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Official CD Doctor (WSES alternative) Thread

Burn baby burn!

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:40 pm

It is already mostly in English, and quite usable if not perfectly polished.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:53 pm

I can't find the password for the zip.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:11 pm

rdgrimes wrote:I can't find the password for the zip.

Read my first post again: :wink:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 1936#71936

rdgrimes wrote:I wonder if the real-time displays affect accurace they way they do with KProbe.

Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, it does affect coverage. :( As a rough check I ran the same disc through KProbe 1.1.14, CD Doctor 1.0.4 and CD Doctor 1.2.0 beta 1, all at max speed. Here are the number of samples collected with each, in order of most to least:

Code: Select all
CD Doctor 1.0.4   4233
KProbe 1.1.14     4016
CD Doctor 1.2.0   3684

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:45 pm

I like the new selectable scale on the graph. Here's a disk that I burned yesterday, then dropped it and put a big gouge on it after burning. It's still readable, data is intact. All scans are at MAX speed, discs burned in 52327S at 52x.

I had some trouble getting CDDr to run after Kprobe was opened, had to close it and re-load, Kprobe runs fine with CDDr open.

Here's a TY burned at 52x:

rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:18 pm

cfitz, you'll remember the infamous defective TY I have with the colored swirl. This disc has a visable defect and has given every scanner trouble at max speeds. CDDr 1.02 will not complete a scan at full speed unless you keep hitting "retry" a couple hundred times. Kprobe skipps most of the last 10%. Here it is, scanned at 16x.

rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:18 pm

rdgrimes- did those scans complete at 16x or drop down to 8x at the defect(s)? My scan of the "CBAD" at 16x did just that.

I couldn't do a C2/CU scan of the "CBAD" at max. speed. I selected the last 4 tracks (with high error rates) and an earlier track to get the reading speed up. The scan always slowed to 8x for the "difficult" part. The same selection with C1/C2 went through at max. rate and (apparently) had some unreadable sectors: this message box popped up repeatedly: Image. It's pretty obvious what it's about, but I don't have the fonts or language skills to confirm (no I don't mean the part about "Wiederholen/Abbrechen" :wink: ). cfitz?

The grey background of a C2/CU scan is pretty dismal. :-? Personally, I don't think it's necessary for distinguishing C2/CU from a C1/C2 scan- the legend suffices.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby rdgrimes on Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:05 pm

Neither of these scanners will "drop" the speed. CDDr will re-read at the set spead, so the effect is a slower read rate. Kprobe does not do this, it skips ahead. To answer your question, no, CD Dr did not re-read, it went through to the end. The error box you posted is in English on my copy of CDDr. The left button is for re-try, right button is for abort. Apparently, it re-reads then asks you what to do if it fails.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:45 pm

As you both suspected, the Japanese states "Unable to perform the measurement successfully. Please press 'Retry' or 'Cancel'" This is what I was referring to when I listed the feature "Prompt to continue or abort when unreadable sector encountered" in my first post about version 1.2.0.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:56 am

rdgrimes wrote:To answer your question, no, CD Dr did not re-read, it went through to the end.

Sorry- I meant something else. I don't mean retries. During my scans at 16x (but not at max for C1/C2), I noticed that the current transfer speed (which CD Doctor shows during the scan) dropped down to ca. 1200 KiBytes/s, which is 8x, during the the part with high error count. This was audible too, as the disk spun down.

Thanks for the confirmaion, cfitz.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:59 am

anyone know what are the other 2 programs on the CD Doctor download page?

http://www2.tcnet.ne.jp/miyuri/files/index.html
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives