Home News Reviews Forums Shop

MAD DOG 52x24x52x??

Burn baby burn!

MAD DOG 52x24x52x??

Postby Intimidator on Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:17 pm

I recently saw an ad in the Office Max flyer for this MAD DOG drive. Does anyone know what type of drive this might be? I am sure it has a name brand other than MAD DOG. Also how is the overall quality of this drive? I read about the rebates issues, which really stinks b/c $19.99 is a great price. Has anyone gotten their rebates? Has anyone taken these people to small claims court?

I like that it has a 2yr warranty compared to other companies one year warranty.

Previously I had a LG 8160B 16x burner which I loved but something very strange happen to that system. It was either the faulty sparkle power supply or very remote possibility the MB. Anyways it took out 2 HD's, a keyboard and my 16x burner. The weird thing is the burner was recognized in W98SE and W2K in the device manager but the eject button failed to work even though the drive had power. So I ripped that 5 yr old power supply out but still will not know 100% if it was the psu or MB.

I am now building a brand new system with an Antec SLK3700AMB case and 350W Antec psu, with Biostar M7VIG Pro MB and AMD Athalon 2400+ with 256 DDR266. Now I need another Cd burner. I need some help here. What are your recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:24 pm

To my knowledge MadDog uses only Artec drives you can read Ian's recent review of the Artec drive here.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:40 pm

My recomendation is to stay away from this drive. Thier support sucks, when my drive was really only a 48x24x52, and it should be a 52x24x52. They said it should be: 24x write, 52x read, 52x re-write.

You should really stay away from this drive.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:31 pm

If you do decide to buy it, which I don't recommend, expect to pay full price and not receive the rebate. I'm one of many who MadDog has cheated out of a rebate. Almost two years ago I bought a cheap MadDog sound card with a $10 rebate. I filled out all the forms correctly, made copies of them, printed out a copy of the successfully completed on-line registration, got proof of mailing, and sent it all in. After about five months they sent an email saying they would not honor my rebate because I hadn't "registered the product".

I tried to contact them by telephone, email, and regular mail (including copies of all my evidence in the regular mail). Their strategy for dealing with people who complain about rebates is very simple: ignore them. No real person ever answered the telephone, and messages I left went unreturned. Email and regular mail similarly disappeared into the void. They know that there is effectively nothing an individual consumer can do to fight them if they simply choose to ignore the customers, and that the customers will eventually tire of the time and expense required to fight for a relatively small amount of money. I gave up after about six months of complaining.

Apparently MadDog feels that there are enough customers out there that they only need to sell to any individual customer once. Or perhaps they realize that their products are such junk that they won't have any repeat customers anyway, so why bother trying to keep the customers happy?

In any event, be warned that they will likely rip you off on the rebate.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:26 am

Uh oh, I did a rebate and I think it was with Mad Dog. Well, I'm screwed.

One of the rebates was with Comp USA, and one of them was with Mad Dog, I think.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:47 am

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:02 am

Lets get all together and massively sue Mad Dog and take them out of business!!!! :D :D :D :D

PS: I'm glad I haven't fall into Mad Dog's tempting products.
Still burning with my LTR-16101B.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:59 am

Thanks for all the great replys!!! I love this forum. I have been using this fourm for years and the response time is awesome.

I think there is something we can do to combat Mad Dog. All of those people that have been affected by their tactics of IGNORING the consumer should do the following. Write a letter to the State Attorney General where they are located. You may also write to the FCC as well.

Also write letters to all the local retailers or the main cahin of command and inform them on what is going on. Point out that their reputaion as a store is on the line since they carry and SELL such a crappy product.

The more this will get enforced the less time MAD DOG will be around!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:35 pm

For all of those affected by the poor business tactics of MAD DOG read my MAD DOG Resolution post.
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:04 pm

Intimidator wrote:For all of those affected by the poor business tactics of MAD DOG read my MAD DOG Resolution post.

would have been helpful if you put here the link to it... :wink:
OK here it is:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11743
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Intimidator on Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:30 pm

dodecahedron,

Sorry about that. I was not sure how to attach a link.
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:05 am

Well it's easy, you will see a button that says URL, click it then put the link and click URL again. Something like this:
[url]<link>[/url]

:o :D :o
Still burning with my LTR-16101B.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:24 am

You don't even have to do that, I just put in the link.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives