Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Two OS or 1 OS , less prone to virus

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Two OS or 1 OS , less prone to virus

Postby faithfoo on Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:37 am

I am purchasing a p.2.6 FSB 800 intel with 2* 256 DDR 400

I am intending to use the PC as a)HTPC ( DVD playback , D scaling analog sources) , and b) storing video files

On the other hand, I wanted to access internet broadband, install certain applications and Microsoft Outlook application

How do I separate them as internet opens up the possibility of getting virus

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SET IT UP ??
1)Does it makes sense to separate say one Operating system, 1 hard disc for

Dedicated HTPC usuage & storage of data/video files

2) another Operating system , Hard disc for internet surfing,
and installing other less impt applications to test HTPC ..( For instance , Win DVD on the other system , and maybe install POWER DVD to run from this operating system )

3) Are there difficulties transferring all the downloaded video files from this operating system to the other .?
faithfoo
CD-RW Thug

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:18 am

I would just run 1 OS and use an AntiVirus program such as Norton AntiVirus.

There is no reason to be that concerned, besides, if you did have two hard drives and two operating systems for each task, if you got a virus on the internet, it could still see your other hard drive, so it wouldn't make a difference.

That's assuming you would be running Windows.

If your running Linux, one again, 1 OS, but you don't need AntiVirus software.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby integspec on Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:51 am

Run a good virus scanner (Symantec Norton is highly recommended) and keep the live update in auto mode (signatures to identify new viruses and trojans). Btw if you planning to work with video files and two harddisks, try to use a striped partition (raid 0, striped set without fault tolerence) to store and process video files. Win XP/2k or Linux could create this partition easily after installation.

As previously said, no reason to be too concerned about viruses as far as your virus scanner is online and constantly updated.

The transfer of video files wouldn't matter much between OSs.

Cheers.
integspec
CD-RW Player

two OS

Postby gmaster on Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:54 am

My friend installed Windows XP after having problem with his PC with Windows ME. The first time he installed XP, it didn't work. The following try, he did succeed. at POST or during start-up, there are 3 OS to choose from, 2 XP and one ME. The first XP is operational while the second XP has a problem. The ME is still working with problems like the internal modem can't be detected and all mpeg/video files were crashing the PC. Now the problem with the XP is that the modem is not working. Why is that? what can we do about it???
gmaster
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion