Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Cendyne method to confuse

Burn baby burn!

Cendyne method to confuse

Postby Intimidator on Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:29 pm

Check out this link if you really want to be confused now by Cendyne's very complex way of not telling you what the REAL brand of the drive you have.

http://www.cendyne.com/downloads/

The drive I got for Office Max has:

Product #: CDICD00118

Serial Number: 24 characters and the 1st digit is 9

This still does not tell me the BRAND of drive???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:02 pm

Cendyne Resolution:

After much research and investigation I have figured out out in the world Cendyne is using for their drives:

If you go to the above link product code tells you RECORD SPEED of the drive that is all.

Then the whole serial number issue for 48 and 52x drives: Please note that some of these I cannot figure out but I know the LTR's and that is what matters right? Look for the CAPS to identify the brand.

CDICD00118 (means 48x)
If your serial number has 29 characters, the 1st character is 9 and your drive is 48x24x48, click here (NOT SURE)
If your serial number has 16-17 characters and the 1st character is A, click here (BENQ)
If your serial number has 12 characters and your drive is 48x12x48, click here (LITE-ON LTR 48125W)
If your serial number has 12 characters and your drive is 48x24x48, click here (LITE-ON)
If your serial number has 22 characters and the 1st digit is 9, click here (AOPEN)
If your serial number has 29 characters, the 1st character is 9 and your drive is 48x16x48, click here (AOPEN)
If your serial number has 24 characters and the 1st digit is 9, click here
(NOT SURE)

CDICD00173 (means 52x)
ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 BenQ 52x24x52 5224P K.IC (BENQ)
If your serial number has 10 characters, click here (ASUS)
LITE-ON LTR-52246S Lite-On LTR-52246S 52x24x52 6S07 (LITE-ON)

I hope this is helpful! I called Office Max and at that location they only had the 24 digit serial numbers. So they are on a hunt for me to find the mysterious 12 digit serial number for the Lite-On.

Happy Hunting!!

Now of course it would be too easy for us just to just to see the name of the box, right? So they made a nice little challenge for us. :D
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:11 pm

If your serial number has 29 characters, the 1st character is 9 and your drive is 48x24x48, click here (NOT SURE)
Benq

If your serial number has 29 characters, the 1st character is 9 and your drive is 48x16x48, click here (AOPEN)
If you put the mouse pointer over where it says click here in IE you'll see at the bottom of the browser the file name that the firmware is for a Benq
David
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:13 pm

David:

Thanks for the update!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:48 pm

OK, a few things.

1. Office Max is not looking for a drive for you, they still haven't called me back about the DVD Burner that was on sale black friday, it's a scam. Don't wait for them.

2. No offense, but, PICK A DAMN DRIVE ALREADY. I'm sure for what you do with it, an Aopen would be great. My Aopen 48x was better than my Lite-On 48x, so I don't see what the problem is.

3. Since you appear to want Lite-On so much, go to newegg, and buy a drive that is for sure Lite-On.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Intimidator on Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:36 pm

aviationwiz

I will have to differ with you on that one. I have spoken with and have been contacted by OM several times today on the hunt and educational excursion dealing with these drives. He was extremely helpful and very interested in knowing exactly what his drive reps are giving him. Sorry about your bad experience with OM.

I don't appreciate you using such vulgar language in your post then say "no offense." Maybe if you do some research before you buy then you will know more about this subject. I never buy without knowing what I am buying and the pros/cons of such a decision. You have no idea how I am going to use this drive. So you can still be helpful but keep your negative comments to yourself.
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:33 pm

different strokes for different folks.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:15 pm

Intimidator wrote:I never buy without knowing what I am buying and the pros/cons of such a decision.

Then why did you buy a re-badged? You should have bought a Lite-On.

Intimidator wrote:You have no idea how I am going to use this drive.

That is very well true, I was making a general estimate though, as the drive would work for probably 90% of people. While the quality probably wouldn't be as good, it would still work.

Once again, return these other drives, if you bought them, and simply buy a Lite-On from newegg or a similar place.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Intimidator on Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:41 am

aviationwiz

Why pay $50 for a Lite-On drive when you can get a Lite-On drive for $0? Afterall it is the SAME drive under a different name? Companies have been doing this for years not only with computer stuff but all electronics.

Cendyne has used LTR drives for years but several people are saying that LTR is pullling out of this 3rd party market and selling their own drives more.

Plus it is interesting to understand and appreciate how these companies are actually conducting business.
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:16 am

Lite-On pulling out? Whoever told you that, needs to put down the pipe. If anything, Lite-On is producing more drives for the OEM market.

The reason why CenDyne and others are turning to other companies is due to supply and pricing. If they can't get enough drives from one company, they will turn to another. Same thing with price. If they can get a similar drive for less from ASUS or AOpen, they're going to do it. More profit for them.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby rdgrimes on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:35 am

If they can't get enough drives from one company, they will turn to another. Same thing with price. If they can get a similar drive for less from ASUS or AOpen

Most likely the other makers are dumping old inventory, or just trying to underbid LiteOn. Similarly, stores like OM have learned that the drives are a good "loss leader" to get people into the store. so they will buy large blocks of the cheapest drive they can find, (Which Cendyne is happy to provide), and sell them at a loss. Nothing new in any of this, a year ago it was the other way around and LiteOn was underbidding.
OM calls Cendyne and offers $X per drive for a large volume. Cendyne calls drive makers and offers $X for the drives, drive makers bid on the deal and dump old inventory.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:39 pm

rdgrimes:

Do you the cheapest drives in PRICE or the cheapest in QUALITY?

Are these good drives from OM or not I am getting conflicting info here.

Why are there no reviews for these benQ drives?

Thanks in advance!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives