Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Has this ever happen to you?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Has this ever happen to you?

Postby MonteLDS on Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:47 am

Have you ever been at Frys or any other PC store and over hear someone talking about a problem they have, that you know a pretty simple solution to. And when you talk to them about it they just talk to you forever about all their other PC problems and all their other problems.

Such a problem happen to me. Guy had a laptop drive in his hand that he had been making clicking sounds. and the drive was showing sure probelms of failing. Anyways I saw he had a converter so u can put a lappy drive into your desktop. So I said "Hey just get another drive and another one of those converters and pop in a ghost disk and clone the old drive to the new drive"
Well this turned into a 2 hr conversation where he told me about his father being an idiot, and then talking about all his problems on his PC and how much he hates M$ and all their holes, and a bunch of things that I could care less about.

Ever happen to you?

ps. why would you worry about a firewall when you have dial up?
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:51 am

Usually I just listen in and laugh at the suggestions from some employees and remember how none of these stores would hire me when I needed a job. If I'm feeling nice I may offer a tip or two, but they usually don't believe what I have to say since they only trust the employees.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:02 pm

It happens to me too. One time I was just killing time at Circuit City (no local Best Buy or Comp USA) I ended up over by the video cards when a customer wanted help deciding on a video card the employees were just standing around doing nothing. I ended up having a twenty minute talk with him and selling a video card for CC.
David
CD-RW Player

Re: Has this ever happen to you?

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:00 pm

MonteLDS wrote:ps. why would you worry about a firewall when you have dial up?

Because you are just as vulnerable, when connected, as someone with a cable-modem or DSL connection.

There has been a little more emphasis on getting people with cable-modems or DSL to use firewalls because those people are more apt to leave their computers turned on and connected to the Internet for long periods of time, increasing the odds that they will be hit. Also, some cable-modem or DSL connections use static IP addresses that make them more attractive to crackers (easy to find again later). But some people with dial-up leave their connections on for long periods as well. And even they don't, it only takes a few seconds for a system to be compromised if it has an exposed vulnerability that a cracker finds.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:36 pm

Ever happen to you?

Occasionally. What you don't realize is his modus operandi. He takes that notebook in to a different store on a rotating basis as a conversation piece. He, and others like him, are very lonely people without other friends or family. It is what people like that who are not alcoholics do. Alcoholics go to the bar and spend their time pixzing in the bartender's ear - same deal. Quite sad, actually.
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:47 pm

cfitz wrote:

There has been a little more emphasis on getting people with cable-modems or DSL to use firewalls because those people are more apt to leave their computers turned on and connected to the Internet for long periods of time, increasing the odds that they will be hit.

moreover, some people on broadband are connected 24/7!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:31 pm

One time at Best Buy, someone asked me which DVD burner to get since I was getting blank media. They were going to get the HP, and I just told them to get the Buslink as it's probably the same drive and it's a lot cheaper. They were out of Sony's, and that was that.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:53 pm

One time at Best Buy, someone asked me which DVD burner to get since I was getting blank media. They were going to get the HP, and I just told them to get the Buslink as it's probably the same drive and it's a lot cheaper. They were out of Sony's, and that was that.

AW,

Something is missing there. That doesn't make sense.
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:44 pm

As I said.

Code: Select all

I told them to get the Buslink, cause they were out of the Sony's, and that was that.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:16 pm

All of this is cause for online shopping.

My wife is getting skittish everytime the UPS truck lumbers up our street :wink:

Tigerdirect.ca is just too good. If that's possible.
& rebates in $USD :D It's like a 40% bonus on the rebate :D :D
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:38 am

cfitz wrote:

Because you are just as vulnerable, when connected, as someone with a cable-modem or DSL connection.

cfitz

I acttually wasn't asking for such a serouis answer :D I just think it is silly since 999/1000 people i know on dial up spend 20 mins online a day via dial up. That setting up a firewall is pretty pointless. IMHO :)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:08 pm

LOL - a serial Fry's operator!!! :lol:

CowboySlim wrote:
Ever happen to you?

Occasionally. What you don't realize is his modus operandi. He takes that notebook in to a different store on a rotating basis as a conversation piece. He, and others like him, are very lonely people without other friends or family. It is what people like that who are not alcoholics do. Alcoholics go to the bar and spend their time pixzing in the bartender's ear - same deal. Quite sad, actually.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:11 pm

Happened today at Best Buy. I was in the Optical Drive Aisle, of course, and there was a Biker type guy with a CD Labeller Kit in his hand and he was talking to an employee about what kind of CD-R discs to get. The clerk said that it doesn't matter too much, and that he had no problems with Imation, no problems with AT&T, and he had a few Fuji's around. I walked over and picked up some Fuji's and left. Hopefully he got the hint.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden