Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need help for Kprobe/Plextools scan accuracy testing

Burn baby burn!

Need help for Kprobe/Plextools scan accuracy testing

Postby Halc on Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:57 pm

I want to do a scan accuracy test for LiteOn/Kprobe Plextor Premium/Plextools.

I have describe my inital thoughts in another thread at CD Freaks. Rather than copy & paste it here, I'll point you to the thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... adid=73050

I need advice and/or suggestions to improve the test. Comment here or at the above forum.

Thanks!
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:18 pm

All of your ideas are good and sound, except one. You say that you want to stick with good quality, reliable media? I would suggest a variery of very good to very bad media. Remember, we want to push the software and hardware to see it working in ALL different conditions. I want to know if my LiteON will be reporting the C2 errors as well as all the C1 errors. So make sure there are some crummy discs in there that will include both C2 and CU errors, otherwise this test is no different then previous tests run.

Keep us informed please! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:24 am

Good point!

I shall take less than good media (what's available to me) also into tests as well. I will change the disc selection to roughly half and half of good and "bad" media (some will fall in between).

What I have available to me easily are:

+ 1. Verbatim DataLifePlus Printable surface 48x (Mitsubishi Chem)
+ 2. Plextor Multi-Speed 48x (Tayio Yuden)
+ 3. Sony CDQ80N5 (Acer Inc.)
+ 4. Fuji 52x (Fuji Photo Film)
- 5. TDK Speed-X 52x (TDK Corp)
- 6. MMore 52x (Moser Baer India)
- 7. Platinum 48x (Daxon Inc.)

I will look for more. Those are the ones I can easily get. In my use, plus marked discs have been good and minus marked less than great (although not necessarily awful).

I have some older 12-24x high quality discs as well, but I'd prefer to use currently available discs and save those "golden ones" I have for other use.

Any more comments!
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:33 am

Make sure you test your burns before sending the discs, to make sure that you didn't "luck" out and get a good burn on a generally bad disc type :wink: if need be, you could always physically scratch the disc in some way to make sure there was some difficult sectors to scan! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:48 am

Yes, another good point.

I think I need to scan the discs at home twice. Before sending (to select which I send and also to get initial scan results) and after I get them back (to see if they've been 'hurt' in the handling).

regards,
Halcyon
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives