Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6 new duplicate file "feature"

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 6 new duplicate file "feature"

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:31 am

Maybe CCampbell will pass this along to the people who need to hear it?

I had a problem with Nero 6 everytime I tried to burn several directories of my MP3s, roughly 32 of them would not appear in windows explorer when I went back to look at the CD-R I burned. The CD burned successfully, but the verification would always fail, and tell me that all the files were different, and 32 were missing.... I was very confused!

eventually I found out that Nero changes the index of the CD so that duplicate file names disappear. This wouldn't be so bad, but Nero doesn't discriminate between different sized files with the same name, or files with the same name in different directories! So I lost all the duplicate file name MP3s in my remix's directory becasue they all shared the same file name as other files on the same CD-R, even though they were in different folders!!! GRR! luckily, I only wasted a CD-R and didn't delete my original MP3 files on my HDD.

This "feature" if left as it is, is more likely to cause harm then good! There needs to be a warning when it activates, and the possibility of over-riding it if you want the files to be there anyways!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:29 am

Wait a minute! Are you talking about a multi-session disc in which you have enabled the "replace files in compilation" option that gives you several different options for directing Nero to decide when a file should be replaced (e.g. archive bit set, file date or length changed, etc.) and you didn't get the replacements you expected? Or are you talking about a brand new disc (not continuing a multi-session disc) in which Nero (presumably in an attempt to conserve space on the CD) decides on its own initiative that two different source files with the same name must be the same file, so that it only burns one copy and writes two entries into the CD's index pointing to that one copy?

If you mean the second scenario, that is not a "feature" by any definition. That is an egregious, outrageous, and completely inexecusable bug! :o There is absolutely no reason for Nero to be making such decisions based on such a weak criterion as the filenames, let alone without telling the user it is doing so!! Even if Nero tells the user it is going to activate such a scheme, it should be using a much stronger method to verify that two file are, indeed, the same. It should be doing a byte-by-byte comparison of the files, or at the very least a comparison of MD-5 hashes.

Tell me this isn't so! :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby minix on Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:29 pm

More bugs:
I was able (unfortunately, because I had taken the CD to a friend without checking) to burn a disc with a lot of file-entries in the index while the actual file was missing.

I mean the list of files in the explorer was correct but several files weren't actually burned.
How? I had a (5.5version) NRI multisession compilation with a lot of MP3 files, and I copied all the entries to a new (6 version) NON-multisession compilation. The files in grey colour in the old compilation (which shouldn't be written again in the multisession copilation) weren't actually burned in the new compilation. The colour in the new compilation was black, so nothing made me suspect that they weren't going to be burned.

Maybe it's only a problem with old NRI compilations, but I'm not sure. I think I've seen a couple more of strange things, but I'm not sure if it was my mistake.
Anyway, Nero6 burned an incorrect CD, so it's a bug.

Another small stupid bug is that if you're going to save a compilation with the same as a folder, the saving dialog enters the folder instead of saving the file... :roll: amateurish...
minix
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:03 pm

cfitz wrote:
If you mean the second scenario, that is not a "feature" by any definition. That is an egregious, outrageous, and completely inexecusable bug! :o ....Tell me this isn't so! :(
cfitz

Unfortunatly, I mean the second scenario... however so far one person has tried to reproduce the error, and has been unable to, so I am a little unsure as to all the reasons why this occured. I know the duplicate files were written out of my index file, I know that not having duplicate files solved the missing files problem for me, I just don't know why it isn't happening on his machine... could other people please attempt this sort of thing on a CD-RW and report their experiences? thanks!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:33 pm

minix wrote:Another small stupid bug is that if you're going to save a compilation with the same as a folder, the saving dialog enters the folder instead of saving the file... :roll: amateurish...

Nearly all Windows apps do that... :roll:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby minix on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:14 am

It's true :oops: amateurish me... and windows then...
I just wanted to save with that name... annoying.
minix
Buffer Underrun

Postby minix on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:38 am

@dolphiniux
I couldn't reproduce your problem in a multisession mode2 disc.
I have several files with the same name and all the files are there.
With equal data, with different data, and renaming the file in the compilation.
minix
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:13 am

I'll try playing with it some more then. I'm not big on re-creating this sort of error, as it already caused me quite a large deal of grief, but it's for a good cause right? :wink:

Maybe I can figure out why it's happening to me and not anyone else... :-?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:42 am

minix wrote:

It's true :oops: amateurish me... and windows then...
I just wanted to save with that name... annoying.

That's OK. I know, it is annoying. You can prevent it from happening by typing the file extension, too (e.g. type "filename.nrg" instead of "filename" when saving an NRG file.)
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby cfitz on Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:44 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Unfortunatly, I mean the second scenario... however so far one person has tried to reproduce the error, and has been unable to, so I am a little unsure as to all the reasons why this occured. I know the duplicate files were written out of my index file, I know that not having duplicate files solved the missing files problem for me, I just don't know why it isn't happening on his machine... could other people please attempt this sort of thing on a CD-RW and report their experiences? thanks!

Dolphinius_rex, have you been able to demonstrate this problem again? I tried a few times using 6.0.0.11, and haven't been able to duplicate it. This would be a vital problem to get Ahead to fix if we can pin it down and demonstrate that it is repeatable.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:26 pm

yes, I have been able to re-create the problem a couple of times, but it is not as straightforward as I originally assumed. I'm not sure what triggers it now, but it is not duplicate files... or at least not strictly duplicate files. Ahead responded to my request for help with a request for an error log, which I sent to them, and now I'm just waiting for them to contact me with their suggestions.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)