Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Another home DivX player...sorta

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Another home DivX player...sorta

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:08 am

Old news, but Matcatz (the Gameshark guys) are releasing "GameShark Media Player" for the Playstation2...it lets you play DivX/MP3's that are stored on a PC that's networked to a PS2.

Nice news for PS2 owners who have the network adapter! Hopefully it'll play DivX's off of discs too...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:57 am

Why not just use the TV Out on your graphics card to watch DivX movies on your TV? Or use the Audio Out on your sound card to listen to MP3's on your TV or other speaker system. Then you won't have to go from PC -> PS2 -> TV, you can go directly from PC -> TV.

I'm not dissing you for relaying the news, BurninMan921, I guess I'm dissing GameShark for releasing a lame product. :roll:
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:14 am

TheWizard wrote:Why not just use the TV Out on your graphics card to watch DivX movies on your TV? Or use the Audio Out on your sound card to listen to MP3's on your TV or other speaker system. Then you won't have to go from PC -> PS2 -> TV, you can go directly from PC -> TV.

Because you'd need to have a PC in your living room then. :wink:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:43 pm

Yeah, my PC is too far away...with a wireless network it'd be usefull.
But it'd be great with an NAS device...no PC needed!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:21 pm

TheWizard wrote:Why not just use the TV Out on your graphics card to watch DivX movies on your TV? Or use the Audio Out on your sound card to listen to MP3's on your TV or other speaker system. Then you won't have to go from PC -> PS2 -> TV, you can go directly from PC -> TV.

I'm not dissing you for relaying the news, BurninMan921, I guess I'm dissing GameShark for releasing a lame product. :roll:

Or because your PC doesn't have a TV Out on it's graphics card. :wink:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:27 pm

Ian wrote:

Because you'd need to have a PC in your living room then. :wink:

Not if you use extra long audio and video cables. S-Video cables can be purchased in lengths up to 100 ft, and a standard video cable can be made by using coax with RCA connectors on the ends. There are also extensions available for S-Video cables. Depending on where a PC is located, it may not be too difficult to run wire to a TV in another room.

I can play DivX through TVs in either the room where the PC is located, or in the living room. I ran audio and S-Video wires through the baseboard to connect to the living room TV. :wink:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:45 pm

Yeah, but then you have cables running all over your house. Not to mention, you have to run into the other room if you want to pause the movie or something.

If you already have a PS2 hooked up to your TV, the GameShark Media Player might be a good solution.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:24 am

Plus it works with the PS2's DVD remote...another bonus.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:03 am

Inertia wrote:Not if you use extra long audio and video cables. S-Video cables can be purchased in lengths up to 100 ft, and a standard video cable can be made by using coax with RCA connectors on the ends. There are also extensions available for S-Video cables. Depending on where a PC is located, it may not be too difficult to run wire to a TV in another room.

I can play DivX through TVs in either the room where the PC is located, or in the living room. I ran audio and S-Video wires through the baseboard to connect to the living room TV. :wink:

Same here, and I don't even need a long S-Video cable; I have a PC stationed in the living room.

And another thing, with people investing more into their computer setup, I find that video game consoles become obsolete too quickly. I used to argue with my brother when Sega Genesis came out that it was much cooler than a computer; boy, was I wrong! With a game console, the technology only goes so far. Compare my P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 8500 to a PS2 and the PS2 doesn't even come close! I find more people investing their hard-earned money into their computers because a computer can do it all (except cook for you and go to the bathroom for you). Hook your computer up to your Plasma TV, add some surround sound speakers, and you have a home theater! Of course, you'll need the proper parts in order to make it really enjoyable (i.e. good graphics card, good sound card, DVD-ROM).

Don't get me wrong, game consoles are still fun, but compared to a computer, I'll take the computer.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:47 pm

Each has their place...and exclusive content.
But look at it this way:
A new, high-end PC capable of running Doom 3 is gonna cost $2K+...
An X-Box is under $200.

For alot of people short on cash, they're gonna chose the console. And at least they're all plug-and-play.

But I agree the PC is far better...especially with FPS games. Haven't played one on a console in a loooonnngg time.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden