Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6: "File verification error"

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 6: "File verification error"

Postby Gekko on Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:24 am

As a happy user of Nero 5.5 I wanted to try Nero 6. I uninstalled Nero 5.5, ran the General CleanTool version 1135 and rebooted. I then proceeded with installation of Nero 6.0.0.9 (demo version). All my attempts to burn data with this version ended with a "File verification error" on one file. The file is realy burned incorrectly as I have checked it with CDCheck and WinDiff as well. I tried 4 different media including both cd-r and cd-rw and just about all write speeds from 32X down to 4X. All media work with Nero 5.5 but not with Nero 6. No matter what folders I burn I always get one bad file.... :(

After going back to Nero 5.5 everything is working correctly.

Today I tried the same procedure with the new Nero 6.0.0.11 with the same result.

When burning a given set of folders the same file is burned incorrectly (for one set of folders it's a Word document, for another set it's an exe file etc). I am unable to see any pattern on file properties on these files compared to all the other files burned correctly. Anyway, Nero 5.5 burns them correctly... :-?

Any ideas?

I'm using Windows XP (SP1), the cd-writer is MSI 8332.
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:31 pm

What exactly was the reason for the file verification error? was the file listed as missing? Did you test the disc with Nero CD Speed to see if the CD-R was burned poorly or if Nero simply did not burn the file properly?

I'm having a similar sounding problem so that's why I'm wondering. I thought my problem was related to duplicate file names, but I could be wrong...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gekko on Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:41 pm

The file was not missing and there were no problems reading the cd (including the corrupted file).

The file on the cd had simply different contents compared to the file on the hard drive. Using WinDiff it was obvious that the files were binary different. I had of course NOT edited the file during the burn... :)
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby raydog1 on Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:21 pm

I've also found that the file verification just doesn't like some types of files. For example, when burning an Outlook email message, it will burn it just fine, but it never passes the verification tests. I've had that problem since Nero 5.x
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gekko on Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:51 am

My problem has nothing to do with Nero's file verification. The problem is that Nero thinks it burns the file properly (and reports burn completed succesfully). The Nero verifiaction run after the burn picks up on the file not being properly burned. This is also verified by other independant apps.

The problem in short is that Nero burns the file incorrectly.
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:52 pm

what kind of file is it?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gekko on Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:59 pm

As I said in my original post it is any kind of file, Word document, exe file, you name it. It depends on which folders I select to burn.
For a given set of folders it's the same file that fails every time.
I am unable to see any difference between the files that are burned ok and the one file that fails. :x
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:10 pm

oops, sorry i missed that.

that's really weird!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gekko on Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:17 am

I now have some new info:
Tried the same install procedure on another pc with a Plextor cd-writer. On this pc the burn and verification works perfectly on the exact same data that failed on my other pc!
The only difference I can see (apart from the different cd-writers) is that on the Burn tab in Nero the "Determine maximum speed" and "Simulation" are enabled on the working-pc (Plextor burner) while they are disabled on the error-pc (MSI 8332 burner).
My guess is that it has something to do with Neros support of the MSI 8332 burner. It was supported (and bundled) by Nero 5.5 and it is recognized by Nero 6 so I have no clue what the problem is.
I am unable to find any "Supported cd-writers" page on Neros website...
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gekko on Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:31 am

The "Determine maximum speed" and "Simulation" options are of course disabled because the "Burnproof" option is enabled :roll:
That leaves me with no clue what so ever...
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gekko on Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:20 am

Finally a solution!
It seems changing the cd-writer from DMA to PIO mode does the trick. No more burn errors after that.
REALLY strange that Nero 5.5 can burn with cd-writer i DMA mode while Nero 6 only is happy in PIO mode.
The cd-writer is master on the IDE channel without any slave present.
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:16 am

Glad you found more information, but that really isn't a solution. You should be able to burn in DMA mode just like in 5.5. Burning in PIO mode is too slow, and not a viable work-around. You might want to look through the FAQ section here and see if re-enabling DMA using one of the delete and restore methods (including perhaps editing the registry) changes anything.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

Also check your BIOS settings for that channel.

If none of this resolves the issue, you should report it to Ahead.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)