Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New MultiMounter for Win2K/XP

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

New MultiMounter for Win2K/XP

Postby masterburn on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:19 pm

Nero just released a new version of MultiMounter that works with Win2K/XP, actually I should say Supposed to work, it doesn't, in fact it appears to do nothing at all, which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. Do they even test these things before they release them? :o

http://www.nero.com/us/631940720275822.html
masterburn
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:20 am

Is multimounter supposed to allow us to look at each session separately?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Re: New MultiMounter for Win2K/XP

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:36 am

masterburn wrote: Do they even test these things before they release them? :o

I've been wondering the same thing myself! Especially after trying to use Nero Vision Express and NeroMix... both pieces of software crash constantly and have so many bugs I can't even count them all! I am thouroughly disappointed!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:41 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
masterburn wrote: Do they even test these things before they release them? :o

I've been wondering the same thing myself! Especially after trying to use Nero Vision Express and NeroMix... both pieces of software crash constantly and have so many bugs I can't even count them all! I am thouroughly disappointed!

InCD is bad too.

Yesterday, in Win 2000 SP4 with Nero 6.0.0.11 and InCD 4.0.1.21, which I do not use due to the date bug in InCD, I said what the heck, and decided to try it out.

1. I used Nero and then InCD to Erase a CD-RW.
2. Formatted with InCD.
3. Opened the E drive (CD-RW) in My Computer.
4. Selected all the directories in the root of drive H and dragged them, as a group, to the E drive's empty root folder.
5. The dfialog indicated that it would take over an hour to copy the files, which did not seem right, so I walked away to eat a small meal and watch some TV.
6. Upon my return, I found that the copy had aborted and the CD-RW had been blown out of the Device Manager. I had to power down and reboot to release the drive.

7. Upon reboot, I again Erased the media using InCD.
8. Formatted the media using InCD.
9. Then I separately dragged each directory in thre root of the H drive to the CD-RW.
10. That worked and did not take anywhere near an hour.

Of course, the resultant CD-RW suffers from the InCD date bug and is not useful, but I felt like testing the above operations.

InCD 4.* continues to disappoint and precludes me from using Nero 6.

I did not try the same experiment using Nero 5.5.10.42 and InCD 3.5.24.0. No point in testing that because if any bugs are found, I expect that Ahead will no longer issue fixes for those versions.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:33 pm

masterburn wrote:Nero just released a new version of MultiMounter that works with Win2K/XP, actually I should say Supposed to work, it doesn't, in fact it appears to do nothing at all, which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. Do they even test these things before they release them? :o

http://www.nero.com/us/631940720275822.html

I too find that multimounter does not work when used along with Nero 6.0.0.11 and InCD 4.0.1.21.

Nero Info Tool shows that media has 7 sessions, which is correct.

The following is without using multimounter.

In Win 98, using Nero 5.5.10.42, Properties does have a Volumes tab, and does show 7 sessions.
In Win 2000, using Nero 5.5.10.42, Properties does not have a Volumes tab.

ISOBuster shows 7 sessions,
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:58 am

kaikow wrote:Is multimounter supposed to allow us to look at each session separately?

It is discouraging when advice is given to someone, and they either ignore it or it doesn't register.

I told you about MultiMounter in your inquiry at Making all sessions visible.

kaikow wrote:The following is without using multimounter.

In Win 98, using Nero 5.5.10.42, Properties does have a Volumes tab, and does show 7 sessions.

If you had read the help file as I suggested, you would see that accessing Properties enables the use of MultiMounter. I also stated that the standard MultiMounter that comes with Nero 5.5 does not support Win2000/XP.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:18 am

masterburn,

Did you install the Win2000 version of MultiMounter per all of the instructions in the "readme.txt" file? A separate step is required for this version to install the NeroCD2K.SYS file by right-clicking the NeroCD2K.inf file.

Since Nero recommends using these add-ons for MultiMounter with the latest version of Nero, are you using it with Nero 6.0.011?

If it was installed properly, did you try to access the multiple sessions with Properties | Volumes in Explorer?
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:20 am

Inertia wrote:masterburn,

Did you install the Win2000 version of MultiMounter per all of the instructions in the "readme.txt" file? A separate step is required for this version to install the NeroCD2K.SYS file by right-clicking the NeroCD2K.inf file.

Since Nero recommends using these add-ons for MultiMounter with the latest version of Nero, are you using it with Nero 6.0.011?

If it was installed properly, did you try to access the multiple sessions with Properties | Volumes in Explorer?

I don't know what masterburn did, I followed all instructions and the installation of the driver was even confirmed upon reboot.

Multi mounter just is not working.

Note the Help for multi mounter is getting installed as part of Nero's Help, but that's about it.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby masterburn on Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:29 am

You mean these instuctions?

Installation description for the MultiMounter:
----------------------------------------------

1. Please copy the files NeroSHX.DLL and Multimounter.reg to the
Nero folder.

2. Now we need to modify the Multimounter.reg file
(please modify the file which is now in the Nero folder).
Please rightclick the Multimounter.reg file and select
"Edit"

3. Now jump to the line with [NeroFolder]

4. Please replace [NeroFolder] with the path to Nero.
Warning:
Each \ in the path has to be inserted two times!
e.g.: if Nero.exe and NeroSHX.DLL are in the folder
C:\Program Files\ahead\Nero
then replace [Nero Folder] with
C:\\Program Files\\ahead\\Nero
You will then have as new line in the Multimounter.reg file:
@="C:\\Program Files\\ahead\\Nero\\neroshx.dll"

5. Now save the file and close the editor.

6. Please doubleclick the file Multimounter.reg for importing
the registry information.

The Multimounter will now work.

Remark:
You need the Nero driver for using the MultiMounter:

Under Windows 2000/XP:
NeroCD2K.SYS (in the folder WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS or
in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS )
The manual installation (copying file) will not work!!!
Please rightclick the NeroCD2K.inf file for installing
the NeroCD2K driver. Please click on "Install" within the
menu you see then.
Under Windows NT:
NeroCDNT.SYS (in the folder WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS or
in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS )
The manual installation (copying file) will not work!!!
Under Windows 95/98/ME:
NeroCD95.VXD (in the folder WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS)

Please restart the system after the installation of the driver
for activating the driver.

I followed them to the letter, including the second reboot when prompted by the sys file installer. This is using XP Home, with both a CDRW and a DVD + RW drive, and yes I am using Nero Ultra 6.0.0.11. I've tried both in Explorer and My Computer and neither shows the tab.
masterburn
Buffer Underrun

Postby masterburn on Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:30 am

I figured it out, it has a conflict with Nero ImageDrive 2.23.
masterburn
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:09 am

masterburn wrote:I figured it out, it has a conflict with Nero ImageDrive 2.23.

ahead should give you a prize! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:13 am

The prize is the right of testing the next inadequately tested software released by Ahead.

I wonder what is second prize!
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:04 am

I see that ImageDrive is installed, but disabled.

How does one just uninstall Image DRive?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby masterburn on Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:21 am

Just disabling the drives should resolve the conflict, you can also keep it fromm loading by clicking on the disable button at the bottom of the dialog, I don't think there is a way to remove it from the whole suite.
masterburn
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:37 pm

masterburn wrote:Just disabling the drives should resolve the conflict, you can also keep it fromm loading by clicking on the disable button at the bottom of the dialog, I don't think there is a way to remove it from the whole suite.

What's the point of "disabling the drives"?

I have not yet seen a "disable button". Perhaps, if I allow image drive to be enabled, then I would see a disable button, but that does not make sense as image drive is already disabled.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:55 pm

We of course put our programs through a thorough QA process, but it is impossible to have every configuration to test with as our customers have. :(

I have tested this based on your reports, and can not find any problem with the MultiMounter under XP.

I edited the REG patch as we described.

Just doing this brings up the VOLUME tab under the recorders Properties. But of course when I attempt to select any session other than the last session I would receive an error message, as I had not yet installed the NeroCD2K.sys driver.

So I then installed this driver. Rebooted the system and it reported the driver was installed properly and asked me to reboot again. Which I did.

I was then able to mount any session I selected. Created in Multisession or Non-Multisession. They all worked.

So then, based on the report here. I then enabled to Image Drives using our ImageDrive utiltiy 2.23. I mounted an NRG file and an ISO image file.

I then tried to use the Multisession mounter again. And again I had no problems.

And this is with the Nero 6.0.0.11 download from our website.

How many are having problems with our MultiMounter program? And how many are having no problems?

Those who are having problems, as much information about your systems as you can provide would be a great help. Our Nero InfoTool can provide us with most of the information we would need to duplicate your systems and hopefully your issues.

All our Products are working properly on clean systems. And Generic systems. But of course we understand that 95% of our customers do not have clean systems and may encounter conflicts that we have not run into. We ask for your assistance in reporting these bugs, and providing as much detail as possible about your systems so we can try and duplicate and thereby resolve the issues.

Our goal is to make Nero 6 as solid as Nero 5.5 has been in the past. This takes time of course. But with your help, we hope it will not take too long, and expect it will not. :wink:

We want to thank you all for the assistance you have already provided, and for any future assistance you provide in heping us reach this goal.

Best Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:30 pm

I'm using Win 2000 SP 4.

I have a SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi and an ATAPI CD-RW Plextor PX-W4824TA. Nothing special.

Multimounter works with neither drive.
For example, ISOBuster and Nero's Info Tool has no difficulty identifying that there are multiple sessions on media. Clearly multimounter was not properly tested/designed prior to release.

Heck in Win 98, with Nero 5.5.10.42, InCD 3.5.24.0 and EWR (1.0.1.0 or 3.3.2.0) , without multimounter, the Volumes tab is presented, so it is NOT an issue with my drives or OS, it is inadequately tested/designed/implemented Ahead software.

It's not a question of how many are having problems.

You have received these reports independently from several individuals, each of whom, I'm sure has better things to with their time than report such things.

Indeed, I am no longer going to report such problems.
I'll stick with Nero 5.5.10.42, InCD 3.5.24.0 and EWR (1.0.1.0 or 3.3.2.0) and competitor's software.

CCampbell wrote:We of course put our programs through a thorough QA process, but it is impossible to have every configuration to test with as our customers have. :(

I have tested this based on your reports, and can not find any problem with the MultiMounter under XP.

I edited the REG patch as we described.

Just doing this brings up the VOLUME tab under the recorders Properties. But of course when I attempt to select any session other than the last session I would receive an error message, as I had not yet installed the NeroCD2K.sys driver.

So I then installed this driver. Rebooted the system and it reported the driver was installed properly and asked me to reboot again. Which I did.

I was then able to mount any session I selected. Created in Multisession or Non-Multisession. They all worked.

So then, based on the report here. I then enabled to Image Drives using our ImageDrive utiltiy 2.23. I mounted an NRG file and an ISO image file.

I then tried to use the Multisession mounter again. And again I had no problems.

And this is with the Nero 6.0.0.11 download from our website.

How many are having problems with our MultiMounter program? And how many are having no problems?

Those who are having problems, as much information about your systems as you can provide would be a great help. Our Nero InfoTool can provide us with most of the information we would need to duplicate your systems and hopefully your issues.

All our Products are working properly on clean systems. And Generic systems. But of course we understand that 95% of our customers do not have clean systems and may encounter conflicts that we have not run into. We ask for your assistance in reporting these bugs, and providing as much detail as possible about your systems so we can try and duplicate and thereby resolve the issues.

Our goal is to make Nero 6 as solid as Nero 5.5 has been in the past. This takes time of course. But with your help, we hope it will not take too long, and expect it will not. :wink:

We want to thank you all for the assistance you have already provided, and for any future assistance you provide in heping us reach this goal.

Best Regards,

Craig
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:35 pm

Multimounter does not work whether I have ImageDrive enabled or not, so I doubt that ImageDrive is the (only) problem.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:48 am

I've now tested the Multimounter under Windows 2000 as well. Still I find it's working without any problems on this system.

And if you do not wish to test or use our software, I can not and will not force you too. :)

But if we can not dupliacte an issue, then we can not resolve it. So your stance of not testing or providing any feedback is only slowing the resolution process. And if the issue is unique to your system, which I am not saying it is, but if it were, then you would be only hurting yourself. I could understand your attitude if I were taking the stance that "it works on my system so it should work on yours", but that was never my approach and was never Aheads approach to reported problems.

As for Ahead not doing it's job of testing. I've already commented on that prevoiusly and see no need to make my point again. We do our best but noone can catch everything with so many variants to systems that would need to be tested, etc.

The good thing is, others do not have the same point of view as yourself. And I've had some feed back from a few users already on this issue. Which is very helpful and very much appreciated. :wink:

So for those who are for progress, I thank you, and Ahead thanks you.

And we are looking to duplicate this based on what information we have so far been provided with.

Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:01 pm

Nero 6 is of no use to me until the date bug in InCD is corrected.
When I see such a corrected InCD, then I'll try Nero 6 again.

CCampbell wrote:I've now tested the Multimounter under Windows 2000 as well. Still I find it's working without any problems on this system.

And if you do not wish to test or use our software, I can not and will not force you too. :)

But if we can not dupliacte an issue, then we can not resolve it. So your stance of not testing or providing any feedback is only slowing the resolution process. And if the issue is unique to your system, which I am not saying it is, but if it were, then you would be only hurting yourself. I could understand your attitude if I were taking the stance that "it works on my system so it should work on yours", but that was never my approach and was never Aheads approach to reported problems.

As for Ahead not doing it's job of testing. I've already commented on that prevoiusly and see no need to make my point again. We do our best but noone can catch everything with so many variants to systems that would need to be tested, etc.

The good thing is, others do not have the same point of view as yourself. And I've had some feed back from a few users already on this issue. Which is very helpful and very much appreciated. :wink:

So for those who are for progress, I thank you, and Ahead thanks you.

And we are looking to duplicate this based on what information we have so far been provided with.

Best Regards,

Craig
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:37 pm

CCampbell,

I don't normally use multisession discs, but this "doesn't work" controversy stirred my curiosity.

As a result I installed the MultiMounter in WinXP. It worked exactly as expected, and delivers the MultiMounter information (Volumes) in the drive Properties.

I suspect that some of the reported "doesn't work" problems are caused by:

Improper installation and/or improper path editing in the Multimounter.reg file. If the double backslash (\\) is not used as instructed between correct path branches in the edit, this will cause a failed installation.

Double-clicking the Multimounter.reg file to install it to the registry is not the best method in my opinion. Right-clicking on the Multimounter.reg file and selecting "Merge" is the preferred way to import data to the registry and is failsafe compared to double-clicking.

The instructions clearly state that manually installing the Nerocd2k.sys file will cause the installation to fail. Some people have trouble following instructions and may be doing an incorrect manual installation anyway instead of just right-clicking on the Nerocd2k.inf file and selecting "Install" as instructed.

And then of course they should reboot. :wink: Upon rebooting the following message comes up:

NeroCheck

The nero driver (Nerocd2k.sys) is correctly installed.

It has been added to started drivers.

You must reboot your computer in order the changes are effective.

Based on my previous experience with this subject, some have difficulty understanding and absorbing advice and instructions. If they are not willing to cooperate, it is not worth wasting any time on them.

Craig, I appreciate your efforts in trying to replicate this "error", but I suspect some reports are just "user error". I realize that I didn't test this with Win2000, but I expect that the results would be the same. Maybe cfitz could be induced to install the MultiMounter in his Win2K box as further proof that it works if properly installed. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:39 pm

I did exactly what you did, but Ahead should have provided an automated install, rather than relying on users to do so many steps.

Here's the .reg I used:

Code: Select all
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2E9D3540-211C-11d0-A5F2-00A0248C37BE}]
@="Nero Shell Extension Property Sheet"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2E9D3540-211C-11d0-A5F2-00A0248C37BE}\InprocServer32]
@="F:\\Program Files\\Ahead\\Nero\\neroshx.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{2E9D3540-211C-11d0-A5F2-00A0248C37BE}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
"{2E9D3540-211C-11d0-A5F2-00A0248C37BE}"="Nero Shell Extension Property Sheet"

Inertia wrote:CCampbell,

I don't normally use multisession discs, but this "doesn't work" controversy stirred my curiosity.

As a result I installed the MultiMounter in WinXP. It worked exactly as expected, and delivers the MultiMounter information (Volumes) in the drive Properties.

Improper installation and/or improper path editing in the Multimounter.reg file. If the double backslash (\\) is not used as instructed between correct path branches in the edit, this will cause a failed installation.

Double-clicking the Multimounter.reg file to install it to the registry is not the best method in my opinion. Right-clicking on the Multimounter.reg file and selecting "Merge" is the preferred way to import data to the registry and is failsafe compared to double-clicking.

The instructions clearly state that manually installing the Nerocd2k.sys file will cause the installation to fail. Some people have trouble following instructions and may be doing an incorrect manual installation anyway instead of just right-clicking on the Nerocd2k.inf file and selecting "Install" as instructed.

And then of course they should reboot. :wink: Upon rebooting the following message comes up:

NeroCheck

Based on my previous experience with this subject, some have difficulty understanding and absorbing advice and instructions. If they are not willing to cooperate, it is not worth wasting any time on them.

Craig, I appreciate your efforts in trying to replicate this "error", but I suspect some reports are just "user error". I realize that I didn't test this with Win2000, but I expect that the results would be the same. Maybe cfitz could be induced to install the MultiMounter in his Win2K box as further proof that it works if properly installed. :)
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:26 pm

I did read the Help file, but multimounter still does not work with Nero 6.0.0.11 in Win 2000 SP 4 with both Plextor drives.

Inertia wrote:
kaikow wrote:Is multimounter supposed to allow us to look at each session separately?

It is discouraging when advice is given to someone, and they either ignore it or it doesn't register.

I told you about MultiMounter in your inquiry at Making all sessions visible.

kaikow wrote:The following is without using multimounter.

If you had read the help file as I suggested, you would see that accessing Properties enables the use of MultiMounter. I also stated that the standard MultiMounter that comes with Nero 5.5 does not support Win2000/XP.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:30 pm

I just tried the following:

1. I used the supplied ininstall .inf file.
2. I rebooted, as needed.
3. I then followed the steps in the multi mounter instructions.
4. Still does not work, i.e., in Windows Explorer, right-clicking on the drive, and choosing Properties does not display a Volumes tab.

Recall, this is with Win 2000 SP4.

Inertia wrote:CCampbell,

NeroCheck

kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:55 pm

MultiMounter is installed by default in Nero 5.5 so there is no "without using MultiMounter" in that version. Again, it only works with Win95/98/ME in versions before v6.

kaikow wrote:I did exactly what you did, but Ahead should have provided an automated install, rather than relying on users to do so many steps.

I agree that the install is tricky, and seems more like a "hack" than a normal install. On the other hand, Nero users seem to like and expect complexity and "tricks" as if this was a positive design benefit. Competing software that is easy to use is denigrated as being "beginner software". If you want to be a true blue Nero user, fasten your techno-machismo armor, grit your teeth and enjoy the complications. 8)

I noticed in your MultiMounter.reg file that your Nero directory is on your F: drive. On my system the Program Files are in the same directory as the operating system. I wouldn't think that this should be causing your problem, but any differences are worth noting and investigating if necessary.

Did you use the "Merge" command by right-clicking on the MultiMounter.reg file? Did you received the confirmation message that the .reg file had been merged into the registry? If you don't recall, do the "Merge" procedure again to make sure. Repeating it won't cause a problem and will just overwrite an earlier entry.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)