Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can you burn really LOOOOng File Names?

Burn baby burn!

Can you burn really LOOOOng File Names?

Postby seancaw on Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:38 am

Hi,

I got Nero ( V.5.5.7.8 ) with my LG 32X writer. I did not care to upgrade it for the reasons below.

Most of my data files and folders names are more than 100 Characters (Some up to 170 characters ) in length since Windows allows up to 255 Characters long file names.

Problem is now I can’t burn these files with Nero because they have long file names. There are literally thousands of files that I have named of more than 100 characters long and I can not change them now.

Also I would like to continue naming my files with long file names because that way I can spot the exact information I am looking for very easily.

Does anybody know a software that can burn really long file names preferably 128 characters or longer?

I know most people prefer Nero over easy cd creator or other software but I will be very happy with any software that can do a simple long file name data back up job.

I have asked this question to few people and they gave me a setting in Nero and I wasted enough cds not to mention time and frustration that two highly acclaimed burning software can’t do a very basic task.

Easy cd creator 6 have a setting for UDF file format and it would burn some files with 80 or so characters but not all. I am using a dual boot Win 98 and Win XP (Pro) system and I don’t know what UDF file system means and whether a cd recorded using UDF would save my data in a format that I can transfer to another hard disk if my hard disk ever crashed.

Finally somebody suggested that if I can find the answer anywhere on the net, this would be the place.

I would be very grateful if somebody can help.

Thank You,
Sean
seancaw
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:42 pm

Most of my data files and folders names are more than 100 Characters (Some up to 170 characters ) in length since Windows allows up to 255 Characters long file names.

Problem is now I can’t burn these files with Nero because they have long file names. There are literally thousands of files that I have named of more than 100 characters long and I can not change them now.

Also I would like to continue naming my files with long file names because that way I can spot the exact information I am looking for very easily.

i can sympathize, i'm in the same situation myself.

Nero 5.5: very simply, NO!

as for UDF, many prorgrams will let you burn a CD in UDF buth then you run into various compatiblity issues. basically, you might not be able to read the data off the CD in all computers. problematic. i would prefer not to go that way.

Nero 6, supposedly has support for long filenames (not sure how long), although it might be a bit buggy just now. read this topic:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11974

CD Mate has support for the Romeo filesystem (as opposed to Juliet), up to 128 char filenames.

Stomp/Sonic (??) RecordNow has support for longer filenames, i think in some cases up to 212. Sony CD Extreme as above. both are based on the Prassi burning engine.
Sony CD Extreme: Joliet - filenames up to 106 chars, ISO level 2 Long - up to 212 chars.

burnatonce ( www.burnatonce.com ) also has support for long filenames.
Long Joliet - up to 103 chars.
ISO9660:1999 - up to 207 chars.

if you want i can give links on how to get Sony CD Extreme off the web.
my experience with Sony CD Extreme hasn't been very good (problems recoginizing new drives).
burtatonce seems great, and it's free for non-commercial use. recommended!

as for me, my solution is to create a big zip or rar archive of all the data files and burn it. not always convenient but it works.
MyDocuments140803.zip with LOTS of files with LONG names inside.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:16 pm

There's an easy way around this: WinRAR (or WinZIP). Just archive the files...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:17 pm

dodecahedron wrote:as for me, my solution is to create a big zip or rar archive of all the data files and burn it. not always convenient but it works.
MyDocuments140803.zip with LOTS of files with LONG names inside.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:25 pm

:oops:

Once again with the skimming of posts

Sorry, dodecahedron...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:52 pm

:wink: :D

(why "once again"? has this happened before? if so i can't remember it)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:35 pm

Yeah, but it was awhile ago...don't think it was you that time...but I'm not 100% sure...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives