Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Please...Help with my Sony CRX220E1...A Sony Media Problem

Burn baby burn!

Please...Help with my Sony CRX220E1...A Sony Media Problem

Postby paraiso36 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:59 pm

Good day,

I have a Sony CRX220E1 for about 4 months and it works wonderful with all kind of media and softwares...I usually use Imation, Lg, and other rather unknown media...But yesterday I went to buy more media and I saw a package of 50 Sony Cds ( $20 app.). Being Sony, the same brand of my machine I bought them without thinking it twice..But when I burned one of them the problem happened. As the media was 48X I always burn one step down so I burned at 40X..As usual the recorder began burning ok but when it was near 90% it slowed down like it has finished burning ( even the time left meter was at 0 ) and suddenly began writing the 10 % left until it finished, with lower speed. When I checked the burned CD it showed something like a read error in that % because it could hardly read it...I tried CloneCD, Nero, etc. and the same problem happened..I lost 10 CDs all with this " final slowdown " and generated error in the media..Strange enough, if the amount of data wasnt near the capacity of the Cd ( 700MB ) ( for example 500 MB ) no problem appeared...I tried burning at 32X and the same happened..Then I checked with another media brand and as usual no problem...What is happening?? Its incredible that with Sony media I cant burn with my Sony machine...Does anyone knows how to solve this?..Have I lost the money buying this package?

Thanks a lot...
paraiso36
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:41 pm

Yes, it sounds like your drive doesn't work well with the Sony 48x media. My advice would be to try even lower recording speeds, such as 24x or even 16x.

These days, it's never safe to assume anything based on brand name. As it turns out, this Sony drive is actually made by Lite-On. BTW, Lite-On drives are very good. :) I don't know if Sony actually makes their CD-R media, but I tend to doubt it. Unfortunately, you can't always assume that two products being sold under the same brand name will work well together due to this fact.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Bhairav on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:18 pm

I think they are Lead Data discs.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Re: Please...Help with my Sony CRX220E1...A Sony Media Probl

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:56 pm

paraiso36 wrote:Does anyone knows how to solve this?..

Yep, use other media. I thought it was odd when Sony didn't send along their own media when I tested this drive. I tried some of the Sony media I had laying around and had problems similar to yours.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Thanks for the Replies

Postby paraiso36 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:19 am

Good Day,

Thank for your help...I also think and hope its the media not the CD Writer...Yesterday I made another test and burn a Sony CD with 16X Speed..no problem....then I burn with 40X and no problem...Then again I burn with 40X and the slow down happened again with bad sectors...So I went back to 16X and nothing happened again but when I checked the burned CD it slowed down when reading the final part but didnt show any bad sectors..I will try with other media..if it happens again I will have to use the warranty...
Finally whats Lead Data CD?..Thanks...
paraiso36
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:42 am

Lead Data is a manufacturer of CD-R discs. Some Sony branded discs are actually manufactured by Lead Data.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives