Home News Reviews Forums Shop

the new lite-on W/ the new probs.?

Burn baby burn!

the new lite-on W/ the new probs.?

Postby salvie00 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:43 pm

hi everyone :D finally after some road blocks im able to register. i need some help you guys. i just purchased the lite-on 52x32x52. i had an hp 4440 amd k6-2/333 mhz.( dunno if that even matters) maxtor 80 gig hard drive is set to cable select and so is the cd rw. i took out the old teac (32x) and replaced it with lite on. dma was selected on both the drive and the cd rw. nero software also installed. here is the problem: when inserted the black cd r that came with it. my comp just restarted and it says "invalid something" i forgot. why did it do that. but when i inserted the cd rw by verbatim that also came with the drive i was able to format it fine and ready to be use like a floppy disc as the nero software says. I'm really helpless here. do you guys think that the drive is bad? maybe i should switch the jumper from Cable sel to master? but what about my hard drive? should i set that to master too? also, i noticed that when the tray is open it seems like its loose or somethin cause when you try to move the tray side to side it's seems like it's loose. i dunno guys. PLEASE HELP ME........!!!!! thanks.
salvie00
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:46 pm

Yes, get it off of cable select.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:06 pm

I don't see how cable select would cause problems...(maybe since your pc is so old?). I've always used cable select, and with 5 hard drives and 2-3 opticals in the system at one time, I've never had a problem (and I tend to swap out the opticals all the time)...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:12 pm

Cable select causes a variety of issues, especially on older boards. So does InCD, BSOD included. I used to get regular BSOD in win2000 until I learned to uninstall InCd, inserting a CDR was the usual cause.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:13 pm

I've heard that Cable Select can cause problems; I think that changing the jumper would be a good idea, especially since your system is so old.

I would also recommend updating to the latest version of Nero; you can get it at http://www.nero.com.

By the way, it is normal for the drive tray to be able to move side-to-side slightly.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:50 pm

Another reason to avoid InCD... :(
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:56 pm

Another reason to avoid InCD...

It is, in fact, the only thing that has ever cause a BSOD here in win2000.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:57 pm

I would recommend leaving the cable select alone for now until you have done some basic troubleshooting. If your computer was designed with cable select as the default connection mode, it should work. The fact that you were able to successfully format and use a CD-RW disc is proof that the drive is being recognized properly.

What operating system and Nero/InCD versions are you using? You could have the problem that rdgrimes mentioned, that of InCD causing a blue screen when a CD-R was inserted. Before I blamed everything on cable select, I would try uninstalling InCD to see if a CD-R can then be successfully recognized and burned in Nero.

Just in case you don't already know and tried to use a CD-R disc with InCD, it can't use CD-R discs, only CD-RW discs.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives