Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem with Nero tools

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Problem with Nero tools

Postby Bornloser on Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:08 pm

I'm new here, so hello to everyone :D . My OS is WinXP Pro. I installed Nero 6 and all works well except for the Nero Info tool. The program freezes after five of the progress bars appear. I have one helluva time closing the program and to get everything back to normal, I have to reboot. I uninstalled 6 and went back to my copy of Nero 5 and I have the same problem :x . I contacted Nero two weeks ago and no reply. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Bornloser
Buffer Underrun

Postby eranros on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:05 am

Same thing here. I couldn't find any solution, but it appears to have started with my new CD writer Samsung SW-252B. It didn't happen with my older LG 40X12X40. My solution is to use an older version of Infotool - v.1.02 - instead of the current v.2 . This one still works.
eranros
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:03 pm

The new InfoTool v2.0 makes a DOS call to retrieve hardware information. Certain system configurations can conflict with this DOS access and cause the program loading to halt at the "Hardware" access.

In my case I found a conflict with the Auto-Protect feature in certain versions of Norton Antivirus. When Auto-Protect was disabled, InfoTool 2 would load normally. If Auto-Protect was initially enabled, InfoTool would lock up every time.

If you are running Norton Antivirus, try disabling Auto-Protect before running InfoTool 2.0 to see if it will then load normally.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Bornloser on Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:06 am

Yes, I am running Norton. Disabled it and still the same problem.
Bornloser
Buffer Underrun

InfoTool Reboots System!

Postby Blueshark on Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:43 am

I never really had a use for the Nero InfoTool, but I thought I would examine it one day. It launched what looks like a DOS window, correctly identified my Lite-On DVD-ROM, my Lite-On CDRW, and then WHAM, it reset my computer (running Windows 2000 SP4). This is consistent and repeatable. It seems to happen when polling my last drive, a TDK DVD Burner which is connected to an IDE add-on card. This configuration works just fine for burning CD's or DVD's. Only InfoTool seems to be a problem. :(
Austin
Blueshark
Buffer Underrun

Postby burner1000000 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:44 pm

If you have Adaptec ASPI installed, you need to kill it (particularly if you are using win XP). This is a very common conflict, also. (if you are unsure, download the aspi folder and use ckaspi to see if it is installed). Make sure that wnaspi32.dll is installed in the nero folder (inside of the ahead folder in the program files folder).

If this does not help, change the compatibility aspect to win NT service pack5 (one that often works) or one of the other choices. You should be able to find one of those that works (right click on the info tool -> properties-> compatibility tab).
burner1000000
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:47 pm

hi, burner1000000! nice to see you here :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Dmayner on Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:40 am

burner1000000 wrote:If you have Adaptec ASPI installed, you need to kill it (particularly if you are using win XP). This is a very common conflict, also. (if you are unsure, download the aspi folder and use ckaspi to see if it is installed). Make sure that wnaspi32.dll is installed in the nero folder (inside of the ahead folder in the program files folder).

If this does not help, change the compatibility aspect to win NT service pack5 (one that often works) or one of the other choices. You should be able to find one of those that works (right click on the info tool -> properties-> compatibility tab).

burner1000000,

I am new to this so please forgive a simple question; How do you "kill" Adaptec ASPI and where do you download the aspi folder? I have had some strange issues with my liteon since installing XP pro so I am wondering if this might be my issue. Thanks.

Dave
Dmayner
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:38 pm

you can get ForceASPI 1.7 here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_s ... rcaspi.cfm
http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm

unzip the file and read the index.html file.
in contains intructions on how to install/remove/kill/backup the ASPI
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:15 pm

burner1000000 wrote:If you have Adaptec ASPI installed, you need to kill it (particularly if you are using win XP). This is a very common conflict, also.

This is bad advice. I have Adaptec ASPI v4.60 (1021) installed in WinXP as does a very large user base on these forums. Everyone that uses KProbe has this same Adaptec ASPI version installed. The Adaptec ASPI v4.60 (1021) drivers contained in ForceASPI 1.7 have demonstrated broad compatibility and are generally accepted as the most stable and dependable ASPI drivers around.

Nobody else in these forums' large user base of KProbe and WinXP users is reporting ASPI problems, much less problems opening Nero Info Tool 2.0 or any other version. On my system (and apparently everyone else's), Nero Info Tool v2.0 works just fine with this Adaptec v4.60 (1021) ASPI version.

The Nero WNASPI32.DLL is not a system level driver and does not conflict with the Adaptec drivers.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Bornloser on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:15 pm

OK! Thanks all. The trick mentioned above involving making compatible with NT worked. I don't understand what happened. It worked before without compatibility trick. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with MS updates. Nothing else has changed on my system.
Bornloser
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)