Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CDs And DVDs To Go The Way Of The LP

Burn baby burn!

Postby craiger on Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:33 pm

This is a good article. I thought Ian's line was funny. "no duh"
Wouldn't you still need CD and DVD's to transport files or backup files?
I couldn't find where you could discuss this article on the forum. I'm sorry If I double posted.

9:38 AM CST Posted By: Ian
This is one of those times when I want to say "no duh!" According to a report from Forrester Research, CDs and DVDs are on their way out in favor of on-demand videos and media downloads.
The end of physical media is nearing. In an effort to fight file-sharing piracy, music and movie companies will embrace legitimate downloading and streaming services, creating a new era of media distribution. According to "From Discs To Downloads," a new report from Forrester Research, Inc. (Nasdaq: FORR - News), 20 percent of Americans engage in music downloading; half of those admit to buying fewer CDs. In five years, 33 percent of music sales will come from downloads. By extension, video file sharing has become more prevalent. One in five young file sharers has downloaded a feature film. Cable video on-demand and other on-demand movie distribution channels will account for close to 15 percent of the movie rental business by 2005. The implications of the shift from hard media will mean change throughout the entertainment industry -- the report defines clear winner and losers.
I think most of us have seen this coming. Will it happen as they say? Probably not, but no one really knows. It's still an interesting read though. If you'd like to read more, the entire article can be found here.
craiger

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:32 pm

I don't put too much faith into research like this. According to so called experts, DVD's were supposed to have replaced CD's years ago and we're all supposed to be flying around in air-cars now.

Here's a link to their findings if you want to discuss:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030902/25374_1.html
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby craiger on Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:47 pm

[quote="Ian"]I don't put too much faith into research like this. According to so called experts, DVD's were supposed to have replaced CD's years ago and we're all supposed to be flying around in air-cars now.

Here's a link to their findings if you want to discuss:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030902/25374_1.html[/quote]

Hehe
craiger

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives