Home News Reviews Forums Shop

MS Intellimouse 3.0, problem ?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

MS Intellimouse 3.0, problem ?

Postby black~cobra on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:16 am

Hi ,with my new computer, the mouse led wont come "off" it is always on, even when the computer is off (?)! Can anyone tell me what to change to shut it off completely ???

My new hardware:

P4C 2400MHZ | Asus P4P800 DX | 2x256mb DDR400 Crucial | GF5 FX5200 VideoSuite (Im not a gamer) | On board Sound | ViewSonic VE700 LCD 17" | Seagate 80Gig Sata | Altec Lansing 621 :eek: | Antec PP1080AMG 430W | MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 | Logitech Elite | Lite On DVD | Lite ON CDRW | D-Link Di-614+ Router | Canon FB630U scanner | Nortel Network DSl Modem |
Complete newbie to this stuff
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

How do you turn your PC off?

Postby XIII on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:45 am

How do you turn your PC off?

I have the same problem when I switch it off with the front button (which I have to hold for five seconds), but not when I turn it off using the switch on the back.

Actually, I don't think it is really off when using the front button, since I can turn it on again with the same button then, which is not possible when switched off on the back.

I can use an answer too ;-)
XIII
CD-RW Thug

Re: How do you turn your PC off?

Postby black~cobra on Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:00 pm

XIII wrote:How do you turn your PC off?

I have the same problem when I switch it off with the front button (which I have to hold for five seconds), but not when I turn it off using the switch on the back.

Actually, I don't think it is really off when using the front button, since I can turn it on again with the same button then, which is not possible when switched off on the back.

I can use an answer too ;-)

start -- shut down - close ....

any other idea ???
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:32 pm

Black Cobra: It sounds like your computer is supplying power to the USB ports when the computer is turned off. Out of curiousity, does your computer have a USB keyboard, and is it set up to power up from a keyboard power key or key combination (this setting would be in the BIOS)? If that is the case, using a PS/2 keyboard or disabling the power-on from keyboard function might cause this problem to occur.

XIII: The above suggestions should apply to you, too. You're right; there's a small amount of power running to the computer if you don't turn the computer off at the power supply. This is equivilant to actually unplugging the computer. However, there's no reason to turn off the power supply unless you're upgrading or repairing the hardware. Actually, your computer's CMOS battery may die more quickly if you turn off the computer at the power supply.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby black~cobra on Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:56 pm

CDRecorder wrote:Black Cobra: It sounds like your computer is supplying power to the USB ports when the computer is turned off. Out of curiousity, does your computer have a USB keyboard, and is it set up to power up from a keyboard power key or key combination (this setting would be in the BIOS)? If that is the case, using a PS/2 keyboard or disabling the power-on from keyboard function might cause this problem to occur.

XIII: The above suggestions should apply to you, too. You're right; there's a small amount of power running to the computer if you don't turn the computer off at the power supply. This is equivilant to actually unplugging the computer. However, there's no reason to turn off the power supply unless you're upgrading or repairing the hardware. Actually, your computer's CMOS battery may die more quickly if you turn off the computer at the power supply.

The 2 option were on (pwr on kb/mouse), they both are off, but it still getting power but, only the mouse (led is on) not the kb (led are off) !!!?

thanks for your reply :)

black~cobra :D
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:58 pm

Wow, that's strange. Do you have a PS/2 style keyboard that you could try with the system? Also, what happens when you connect the mouse to a PS/2 port? I would guess that the mouse probably came with an adapter to allow it to work in a PS/2 port.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby black~cobra on Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:59 pm

CDRecorder wrote:Wow, that's strange. Do you have a PS/2 style keyboard that you could try with the system? Also, what happens when you connect the mouse to a PS/2 port? I would guess that the mouse probably came with an adapter to allow it to work in a PS/2 port.

I forgot to say that the mouse is in the ps2 port (w/adaptor) im trying it now in the usb port ,,, will post later ... :)
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby XIII on Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:48 pm

black~cobra wrote:mouse is in the ps2 port (w/adaptor)

Me2
XIII
CD-RW Thug

Postby black~cobra on Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:52 pm

XIII wrote:
black~cobra wrote:mouse is in the ps2 port (w/adaptor)

Me2

Funny MS, Its working like it should :) Theres an :evil: in my computer lol

Thanks anyways !

B~C
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:20 pm

Well, I'm glad that its working like it should. Funny that it was different in the PS/2 port, though. :-?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby black~cobra on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:24 pm

CDRecorder wrote:Well, I'm glad that its working like it should. Funny that it was different in the PS/2 port, though. :-?

Yeah! i know :S thats why i said there was a :evil: in my computer !! 8)
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alexandrus on Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:44 am

Don't worry about it, it only happnes in Windows XP and it's because the PC can be started by pressing the mouse buytton, even if you disabled it in BIOS. Happens to me as well, it's not a problem with your mouse or anything, stupid WinXP leaves the PS/2 ports(actually on stand-by) powered after shut down.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby black~cobra on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:57 am

Alexandrus wrote:Don't worry about it, it only happnes in Windows XP and it's because the PC can be started by pressing the mouse buytton, even if you disabled it in BIOS. Happens to me as well, it's not a problem with your mouse or anything, stupid WinXP leaves the PS/2 ports(actually on stand-by) powered after shut down.

Thanks for that information :D

black~cobra
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:49 am

My Explorer used to do that with one of my earlier boards and it was becuase the machine did not power down the 5 volt line when shut down except when it was unplugged. My last 2 have turned it off like normal, I also turn off the startup wih key board or mouse and most of the power saving features. I think that board would also go into a standby mode that powered almost evrything down including fans after idle for about an hour if you set it to do it.
Some boards just do that by design or because they weren't done properly.
I am running XP also but I have disabled as much of the extra crap as possible to get a better running OS.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Turn off mouse

Postby XIII on Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:27 pm

Dartman wrote:I also turn off the startup wih key board or mouse and most of the power saving features

Is that in Windows XP or in BIOS?

I would like to turn my PC entirely off, including the mouse!
XIII
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:01 pm

Turning off the "startup from keyboard or mouse" option is in the BIOS. There are power management features in both Windows and the BIOS.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to General Hardware Discussion