Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to buy a CD/RW drive?

Burn baby burn!

How to buy a CD/RW drive?

Postby JustRob on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:13 pm

Hi all.

I just was wondering how do you know what is good or reliable vs what is junk? I read some articles on PC world but alot of the stuff they say is high tech for me lol.

I was looking to one perhaps upgrade my drive. I guess 52X is what I would want. I have heard that Plextor and Liteon are the way to go. I looked around on the web (new egg) and was surprised to see how cheap they are 30-70 for one of those. That is fantastic. Money well spent as I burn about 50 discs a month or so. Also OEM or Retail. Does it matter?

Any advice you can give me would be really appreciated......Thanks
JustRob
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:23 pm

OEM versions are usually the same except for the packaging and missing bonuses like blank discs and cables. Lite-ON and Plextor are indeed two of the best choices.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:38 pm

There is no agreement whether Lite-On or Plextor is better, but based on my experience so far, I'd recommend the LTR-52327S for its speed, write quality, and price.

Edit: I can't say that the Plextor is good or bad as I've never owned one. /Edit

Plextor drives also are fast, and they have good write quality, but they cost a lot more and have several extra features (that some people will want and some people won't need).
Last edited by CDRecorder on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby JustRob on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:39 pm

Understood!

Any other brands that I should look for? I know that I will be looking at plex, lite. My friend has a plex and he loves it but he paid alot more money than what I wanted to.

Thanks
Last edited by JustRob on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustRob
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:55 pm

If your looking for good tech support, Plextor is definetly the way to go. Plextor has got speed, best quality around, and excellent performance, and the Premium has tons of features that other drives don't have either. You'll be paying a lot more for a Plextor though. Just read my Title, Plextor Fan(atic)

I've got two Premium drives, and I love them both, and haven't once regreted getting both of them, I got one of them at $130, the other at $110).

What's your budget like? If you can afford the Plextor, then go for it. If you can't, then just get the LTR-52327S, I'm sure it will work fine.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:57 pm

An add-on to that last post. I must also add that Lite-On is ONLY worth the lower price if you buy it online from a place like zipzoomfly (new googlegear name), newegg, or some place like that. If your going to buy it in a retail store like Best Buy for $80, then there is no excuse for not spending the little bit extra for the Plextor.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby tazdevl on Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:02 pm

You also have to factor in the brand loyalty and apparent bias of some people in the forums before you make your decision. *Cough look above :D
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:05 pm

Here's how to buy a drive.

1. Put down PC World and start reading CDRLabs. I think you've already figured this out.

2. Get adopted by aviationwiz's family. Why? See point 3.

3. Have your parents buy you 2 Premiums and then a PX-708A. Then brag how great Plextor is.

Sorry aviationwiz.. you ask for it. :wink:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby JustRob on Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:25 pm

Gulp

:(

Not wanting to start a war on here. Just looking for some info. I have had great success so far here. Some of the guys here have helped me immensely. I sort of knew that I would get some brand loyalty people which is all good. I know that Plextor and LiteOn are very popular.

To be honest I have always bought my stuff in the stores like best buy and compusa but there prices are sickening. I looked at New Egg and was shocked to see the same burner (pretty sure its the same) for half the price. This is what I am looking for. I dont have the money to throw around right now so online is where I would like to get it. Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks folks
JustRob
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:36 pm

Ian wrote:Here's how to buy a drive.

1. Put down PC World and start reading CDRLabs. I think you've already figured this out.

3. Have your parents buy you 2 Premiums and then a PX-708A. Then brag how great Plextor is.

I paid for both Premium's OK? That is about $250 on CD Burners. One of them was $130 + Tax, the other was $110. That's just about $250 on two cd burners, expensive, but well worth it.

As far as bragging about how good Plextor is, I have and I will, unless they start to send out crappy products, in which case I'll drop them like a hot potato.

As far as brand loyalty goes, you see that here all the time. Take CDRecorder and I for example. We both like our respective brands for different reasons and we throw out good points in why others should get them.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby rdgrimes on Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:47 pm

JustRob
The best way to get good advice around forums is to be very specific about what you intend to do. What will you use the drive for? As you stated that you do not understand the "technical" stuff, the numerous, (and dubious) gizmos that come with Plextor, and allegedly increase their value, will do nothing for you. If you're burning the usual assortment of data backups and audio, the LiteOn will serve you very well. And you can throw it away in a year and get the next greatest new model! It only costs as much as 2 spindles of high quality CDR's. As for Plextor's reputation for "quality", nobody has ever demonstrated anything here that supports this notion. The LiteOn drives routinely last for several thousand burns.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby JustRob on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:27 am

Thanks. I am new to all this stuff I appreciate the advice. I will get me a new one soon enough. As long as its 52x and works I will be happy. I try not to be all that brand specific but I sometimes get to OCD about things and have to know it all. Not a good thing for me :(

Thanks
JustRob
Buffer Underrun

Postby eliminator on Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:45 am

Ian wrote:Here's how to buy a drive.

you're too much Ian ! :lol: :lol:
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:34 am

I think Aviationwiz stated it very well; everyone has brand preferences. I don't think that Lite-On is the only good choice, though.

As I see it, Lite-On is the best choice for most people, but if you want the extra features offered by the Plextor, by all means, buy the Plextor! :D

Personally, I buy Lite-On because I don't need the extra features enough to pay $250 for two drives (I got my 52327S for $10 after MIR. :lol: ).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby eliminator on Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:02 am

" I got my 52327S for $10 after MIR. "

you rascall you !! :D 8)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:46 am

CDRecorder wrote:I think Aviationwiz stated it very well; everyone has brand preferences. I don't think that Lite-On is the only good choice, though.

As I see it, Lite-On is the best choice for most people, but if you want the extra features offered by the Plextor, by all means, buy the Plextor! :D

Personally, I buy Lite-On because I don't need the extra features enough to pay $250 for two drives (I got my 52327S for $10 after MIR. :lol: ).

I didn't have to hassle with a MIR or slow shipping from BBY :wink:
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:16 pm

aviationwiz wrote:I didn't have to hassle with a MIR or slow shipping from BBY :wink:

Good point; I did have to deal with those (the drive arrived two weeks after I ordered it, I had to send in 3 MIRs). :lol:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives