Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6.0.0.11/15: No REW or FF on SVCDs

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 6.0.0.11/15: No REW or FF on SVCDs

Postby PBear on Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:50 am

Since installing the Nero 6.0.0.11 upgrade, whenever I make an SVCD (not regular VCD), the REW and FF buttons on my remote do not work. Their behaviour is downright strange: the FF button (pressed anywhere in any track) jumps back to the beginning of the first track on the CD, plays about one second of the track and keeps jumping back to the beginning and starting over - back and forth, back and forth; the REW button immediately jumps back to the beginning of the current track and starts it over.

With ver 6.0.0.11, I made only one SVCD and, after noting this behaviour, thought it may have been caused by using an existing Version 5 project file, so I recreated the project from scratch and burned the CD again - and the problem went away.

I've since updated to ver 6.0.0.15, though, and today I burned eight SVCDs, each one as a new project (not using any previously-existing project file), and every one of them has this problem. I haven't tried re-burning them yet but, hey, that's not an acceptable fix even if they do correct themselves! :-?

Again, the problem has not occurred with regular VCD burns, only SVCDs, and all of the MPEG2 files I've added to these SVCD compilations have passed Nero's standard-compliance checks without a hitch. These SVCDs play perfectly fine, otherwise. I've never had this problem with any prior version of Nero.

I've read all the posts in this forum, back to when Nero 6 was released, and didn't see any mention of this problem - which is a little worrisome 'cause, if I'm the only one having it, it's too weird. If anyone can reproduce this, I'd like to hear about it - and if Ahead knows about it.

Thanks.

- PBear
PBear
Buffer Underrun

SVCD's and Nero...

Postby oRBIT2002 on Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:00 am

Don't burn your SVCD's with Nero! This "bug" has been in Nero for ages, too bad they never seem to fix it. If you have an mpeg file that you'd like to burn as SVCD, create an image of it first, use the excellent tool, I think it was called "vcdgear". That one creates a .bin/.cue file. Burn the image with Nero instead, and voilá! Forward/Rewind works!
oRBIT2002
Buffer Underrun

SVCD's and Nero...

Postby PBear on Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:00 pm

Thanks, oRBIT2002, for the response.

VCDGear is, I guess, a viable alternative, although my only experience is with VCDEasy. VCDEasy, though, requires you to create menus manually and, I think, VCDGear does as well. For quick jobs, compilations, etc, I prefer Nero's easy automatic menu creation.

I have no experience with this bug having been in Nero for "ages". I've burned several dozen SVCDs using Nero over the past year or so and have never had a single problem with REW or FF until now - with version 6.

With over 100 people having read my original post over nearly a week's time, and no one having posted a response until now, I have a feeling that the "problem" is quite selective and may not even be affecting many users of the new version -- that, or not many members of this forum regularly make SVCDs with Nero? I emailed Nero/Ahead about the issue a couple of days ago, but have not heard back from them.

--

PBear
PBear
Buffer Underrun

Re: SVCD's and Nero...

Postby cfitz on Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:03 pm

PBear wrote:... or not many members of this forum regularly make SVCDs with Nero?

My gut reaction would be that this is the correct explanation for your relative lack of responses. I looked at your post and thought it presented an interesting question to look at, but I don't normally burn SVCDs so I can't speak from experience, and I don't have time right now to experiment in order to gain some experience. Sorry.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

svcds with nero

Postby oRBIT2002 on Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:31 am

I've always had this problem with Nero sadly. However I also think it depends on the brand of your DVD-player (I've got a Hitachi dv-p505e, and it's a few years old). So anyway, I don't think Nero burns 100% compliant SVCD discs. But it takes a few minutes to fix it with vcdgear so.. :)
oRBIT2002
Buffer Underrun

nero 6 sucks

Postby ksolomon on Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:34 pm

Dude your best bet is to uninstall Nero 6.

And put 5.5.x.x back in..

It will take Ahead 2 months to get all the bugs out..
ksolomon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)