Home News Reviews Forums Shop

I NEED This Shirt

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

I NEED This Shirt

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:23 am

BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:55 am

Hahahaha! That's kickass! :D Yeah, this whole MP3 thing and the lawsuits suck.

The thing is that a lot of times, I'd like 1 or 2 songs from a CD, yet I have to plunk down the $15+ for the whole thing. To make matter worse, sure I can go to cdnow.com or towerrecords.com to listen to sound bites, but a lot of times, they don't have ALL the tracks available for listening.

Anyone here know anything about those "legal MP3 download" sites out there? Several patients told me that there are a load of those sites out there from which you can download music files "legally" for a subscription fee.

Nice to see you, B!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:44 am

Yes, let us be angry at a group trying to stop theft. 1 or 2 songs? That's no big deal, right? Wrong. It is still the artist's property and not your's until you buy it. That it comes packaged with 10-20 other songs irrelevant. It is still theft. And frankly, if you are downloading music that you have not paid for, you are a thief. No two ways about it. Justify it all you want, it all boils down to you being a thief.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:43 pm

I agree; if the artist doesn't intentionally give the song away, he should be paid for it.

However, I disagree with the RIAA's thoughts that we shouldn't be able to copy music for which we've legitimately paid for our own personal use. By this, I do not mean giving copies away to anyone else; I just mean doing something like making a backup to keep in the car so that the original CD or tape doesn't get destroyed.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:36 pm

Who said anything about wanting to download music for free? If you read my question, it's about the legitimacy of pay sites. I want to know if there are such places where someone could download and pay for specific individual songs (be it 1 or 2 songs out of 12 off of a CD).
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:20 pm

If you're a Mac user, you can buy songs from iTunes, or something like that. I haven't used it personally, as I don't have a Mac. I think Apple may have been thinking about allowing PC users to purchase this service, too, but I can't remember.

You can also buy songs at www.buymusic.com, but I've never tried this either. The songs there seem a little but expensive, but if you only want one or two off of a CD, you will save some money.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:32 pm

I download a few tracks and if I like them, I buy the album. Call it a test drive. I'd rather do that than throw away $15 on a CD that sucks.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:10 am

Thanks for the 411 CDRecorder! I'll definitely check those sources out.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:38 am

You're welcome, F1Pilot. I hope that I was able to help! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to The Beer Garden