Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Opinion on purchasing other CDR brands

Burn baby burn!

Opinion on purchasing other CDR brands

Postby Hibiki04 on Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:08 am

Since Fiji is dropping TY, what brand and make should (once TY brand CDRs is rare to find) I get that will be second to or close to the quality of TY?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input guys
Hibiki04
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:17 am

You can still get unbranded TY discs from online vendors, although they can be a bit pricey. For branded media, I would lean toward any brand that packages Ritek discs (TDK, for example). CMC manufactured discs have never given me problems, but I think the general consensus around here is in favor of Ritek over CMC. :wink: TDK uses CMC discs as well as Ritek, so be on the lookout. See this thread to spot the differences between CMC and Ritek spindles. I would also recommend Verbatim DataLifePlus media. Make sure they are DataLifePlus and that will ensure Mitsubishi discs inside. By the way, to find which media works best with your burner, consult the Media Compatibility Thread.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:36 am

I suggest Maxell media. Maxell only buys from 3 different manufacturers: Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, and their own Hitachi Maxell plant.

The Ritek's are the normal Maxell discs, and are good quality
The Taiyo Yuden's are in the Maxell Pro packaging, and their quality goes without saying!
The Hitachi Maxell made discs are in the Maxell 80XL-S packaging, and their quality is at least as good as Ritek's if not better. I have heard that some CD burners may have compatability issues with these discs though, but I haven't had any problems on either my LiteON or my Plextor drives.

Maxell is the only brand name media that I trust, since I feel confidant buying any maxell branded CD-R product and burning itm no questions asked.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives